passive set up v active set up

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
jorge santana - love the way

patricia barber - a taste of honey

joe sample - carmel

sarah vaughan - get back

steely dan - hey nineteen - or - black cow

donald fagen - new frontier - or - IGY

don blackman - heart's desire

angela bofill - under the moon and over the sky

herbie hancock - the bomb

toto - pamela

manhattan transfer - twilight zone

junei' - let's ride

I have 10 album Telarc Collection that is delightfully recorded ( high DR) so will pick one track there too.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Glad to hear you're still with us, John.

Did you ever get a visit from the guy with DM10s? After your operation? The thread on aviforum where your request for data turned into a demo offer seemed to just peter out.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
hg said:
Errr... There seems to be a bit of a reality bypass here. The Sartori driver response has a few 2 dB wiggles that require no treatment when pulled down by the midwoofer low pass filter.

I don't know what graph you were looking but the Satori driver that you linked to is well into cone break up between 3kHz and 4kHz.

graf-6in20SATORI20MW16P-8_zps152obmye.jpg

That's Sinar Baja's own top of the range 6.5" driver right there but even this one isn't as good as the more expensive 6.5" driver which they custom make for the AVI DM10.

hg said:
Pretty much any reasonable metal driver such as this one.

Once again this driver that you've linked to is well into cone break up between 3kHz and 4kHz.

metal_zpsmqgtahfl.jpg

I would still be interested if you can find any example of a 6.5" mid/bass that will reach upto 4kHz before going into cone break up. As far as I'm aware the DM10 6.5" driver it totally unique in this respect.

hg said:
I have no need to hear them to know they do not meet the requirements I want in a speaker. That doesn't mean they don't meet your requirements or that they cann't be special for you. They don't look special to me to the extent some of the design decisions I feel able to judge appear rather poor in terms of technical performance. But then those decisions are for AVI to make and they will make them in the light of a range of other considerations such as cost, what their target audience finds attractive, etc... Good luck to them.

Suit yourself. *unknw*

John Duncan

Ashley James said:
HG

Why don't you go back to PF, where that sort of smug put down is de rigour. No need to bring it here.

I doubt anyone wants to hear from a chap devoted to knocking a successful product that isn't up to his exacting standards and that he has no interest in, not even to the extent of checking a pair out to make sure he's not talking nonsense.

Pushy forum warriors like you and a few others ruin most forums because their dogmatic and narrow views discourage more able (and more helpful) people from getting involved.
I actually laughed out loud at this.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Ashley James said:
HG

Why don't you go back to PF, where that sort of smug put down is de rigour. No need to bring it here.

I doubt anyone wants to hear from a chap devoted to knocking a successful product that isn't up to his exacting standards and that he has no interest in, not even to the extent of checking a pair out to make sure he's not talking nonsense.

Pushy forum warriors like you and a few others ruin most forums because their dogmatic and narrow views discourage more able (and more helpful) people from getting involved.

I smiled and shook my head. But I am pretty sure the post will not be read in the way one might expect by quite a few in this thread. There's nowt so queer as folk. And that makes life interesting.

John Duncan said:
Ashley James said:
HG

Aye - there's nothing worse than an over-opinionated decorator.

Good to see you back, JD. *drinks*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts