Passive pre - Cannot believe my ears

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I've been intigued by passive pre-amps for a while, so i've been keeping my eyes peeled for something on ebay. Anyway, I found this Creek OBH-12 and purchased it for a very reasonable £120 (plus £8 postage).

I hooked it up, switching my A32 to use as another identical power amp to my P35. Ergonomically it's a bit of a backward step - it's well put together and all, but it's a little agricultural in operation, has one too few inputs for me and it doesn't exactly compliment my nice Arcam FMJ stuff in the looks department. At least it remote controlled!

So I fired it up and there was no bass, then after a few minutes of panicking I realised I was being a dumbass (I won't go into the details) and switched around a few connections, and fired it up again. It took me approximately 5 seconds of playing whatever happened to be in my CD player (Jeff Buckley) to realise that this was not only the best £120 I've ever spent on my hi-fi, not only the best value for money upgrade that I've ever made, but the best upgrade I've ever made full stop, and that includes £1k worth of new CD player, that I was and still am very happy with.

Every single aspect of the sound is improved bar none. The 3-dimensionality and detail that has been unearthed is simply unbelievable - I'm hearing things i've never heard before and also interactions between things (e.g. something that I could hear before making more sense now that I can hear something else). The bass is so much more deep and powerful (and that always seemed like a particular strength of my system). Everything is tighter and crisper and just so much more life-like. And there was really nothing that I was unhappy with before - this whole passive pre thing was just an experiment for the sake of curiosity!

All I can say is that if you're using an integrated amp - even a pretty respectable one - and you handle a little loss of ergonomics and convenience (and believe me you won't mind if it makes as much of an improvement for you as it did for me) then I really can't recommend enough that you investigate a passive pre (just check output level of sources and input sensitivities of power amp first).

There are a few out there from Creek, Icon Audio, NVA, MFA ranging from about £245 (Icon) to about £2700 (MFA) and I'm sure there are very much more expensive ones out there, but I'm absolutely astonished by this second hand Creek.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan, great post! I'm really interested in this preamp (I've heard good things about it and the price is great), but I'm a bit worried by the stories of the matching impedance. I have a Roksan K2 amp and cd player and I really don't know whether they can match the creek...do you have any further detail?

Massimiliano

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My integrated already has a passive pre-amp built in
emotion-2.gif

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
realmassy:

I'm a bit worried by the stories of the matching impedance. I have a Roksan K2 amp and cd player and I really don't know whether they can match the creek

I'm not sure really about the impedence, but given that creek and roksan are both fairly mainstream manufacturers who must both make their kit with intercompatibility as a consideration, I'd be amazed if there was any kind of issue. I have to admit, that's the basis on which I went for the Creek to partner my Arcams.

Ultimately if you want to be certain before you buy then you could just phone up the respective manufacturers, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

After some more extended listening the other things that strikes me is the improvement in dynamics - it was really being compressed before by the Arcam A32's pre-amp, and I never knew it!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
lordmortlock:Hey Dan - does the creek have two sets of outs? Just wondering about an eventual bi amp scenario.

No it doesn't I'm afraid. I'm bi-amping by daisy-chaining the Arcam power amps - If the 909 has an output as well as an input then you could do the same.

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:

Ultimately if you want to be certain before you buy then you could just phone up the respective manufacturers, I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige.

I've just sent an email to the Creek technical support, I'll keep you posted.

Massimiliano

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade my 640A V2, now is it worth adding a passive pre to the 640 and RS6 setup ? or is it better for me to upgrade my integrated.

Where can i buy those passive pre? seconds pls

A

Anonymous

chebby:
emotion-2.gif

Mine too. All integrateds used at line level do too.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
vinod_david:I'm planning to upgrade my 640A V2, now is it worth adding a passive pre to the 640 and RS6 setup ? or is it better for me to upgrade my integrated. Where can i buy those passive pre? seconds pls

Generally dedicated pres + dedicated powers will outperform an integrated anyway, but even that aside the flexibility allows to upgrade one at a time. So you could buy a pre now, and use your 640 as a power (assuming you can, I don't know that myself - my arcam A32 had a switch to separate the pre and power sections to work independently), and then always buy a better dedicated power amp later - that would almost certainly lead you to better sound that spending the same amount of money on another integrated IMO.

If you look on ebay then you can find all sorts of pres on there and there are a few retailers selling the latest version of the creek (OBH-22) for about £290. Also google the manufacturers I mentioned before.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Red Dwarf:chebby:

emotion-2.gif

Mine too. All integrateds used at line level do too.

Do they? I didn't believe that to be the case - I can't speak to any particular model, but I thought that the pre section of most integrateds was active. In any case, I can say from personal experiece that there is a stark difference between a dedicated passive pre and the pre-amp section of my Arcam A32, which I think most people will agree is a pretty well respected integrated amp.

Anyway - i just reckon that the passive pre route would be an extremely cost effective upgrade for a lot of people, so worth investigation

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts