Partington Super Dreadnoughts

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Can anyone with a pair of Partington Super Dreadnought stands lift them and tell me what they see when looking at the underneath of the stands? I'm curious about something, thanks...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
CHORTLE!

I meant what do the undersides of the stands look like, is the underside of the baseplate flat, or filled with something, or do you just see the bottom of the tubes and so forth?

A picture would be useful, thanks.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It's filled with a special mix of polymer and like a fibreglass mix

It's theyre damping/weigh down material they use so if thats what you see then its normal

HTH

A

Anonymous

The stands will be filled with a resin in the base, with all 4 smaller tubes showing with small black bungs in them, then a larger square bung in the centre. All of these are for filling.

I can't remember if there was a round washer in the resin at the bottom, or the underside of the top plate. This is going to be where they hang it for spraying in the painting and heat curing of it.

There will definately be a resin and GRP mix on the underside though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim: The stands will be filled with a resin in the base, with all 4 smaller tubes showing with small black bungs in them, then a larger square bung in the centre. All of these are for filling.
I can't remember if there was a round washer in the resin at the bottom, or the underside of the top plate. This is going to be where they hang it for spraying in the painting and heat curing of it.

There will definately be a resin and GRP mix on the underside though.

Interesting. So you shouldn't be able to see metal underneath the base plate then?

Sounds like I've got a long trip back to Poole ahead of me...
emotion-12.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Ok yeah that's what mine look like, I was expecting the "filling" to be deeper, more up to the level of the baseplate.

I think it's just the bungs I'm missing in order to fill mine, which I'd like to do.

Incidentally, what do you have between the speaker and the stand, I've got some sticky-backed rubber tabs that were supplied with my TV stand for putting under a center speaker on the glass shelf. I notice Partington sell those pointy round things, anyone tried them?

A

Anonymous

I've got 4 of the pointy round things stuck to the top of each of my Dreadnoughts..

They are very sharp which makes moving the stands tricky, and they scratch the bottom of your speakers quite badly.

Once they are in place they support and hold the speakers very well. If you're not planning on moving the speakers/stands around regularly, and don't mind damaging the veneer on your speakers i'd say they're definitely worth going for.

Saying that, sound wise i doubt they make any difference from a simple blob of blue tac.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Rich O: I've got 4 of the pointy round things stuck to the top of each of my Dreadnoughts..

They are very sharp which makes moving the stands tricky, and they scratch the bottom of your speakers quite badly.

Once they are in place they support and hold the speakers very well. If you're not planning on moving the speakers/stands around regularly, and don't mind damaging the veneer on your speakers i'd say they're definitely worth going for.

Saying that, sound wise i doubt they make any difference from a simple blob of blue tac.

Hmmm, if they don't improve the sound then why spend the money? Have to say I was expecting great things from these stands, given that I've never had my speakers setup on proper stands before (and that I justified buying the stands to the missus by telling her they'd improve the sound to the point where I could hold off buying new speakers until later!), I really was expecting a bit more.

Need to keep fiddling I guess...

A

Anonymous

Yep, blue tack is the one for the top of the stands. Sticks the speakers in place and lets the drivers have a firm base to work from. Also, it stops people knocking them off.....

If you are going to fill the stands, use kiln dried sand, you can get a large bag of it for about £5 or less from B&Q superstores. I filled all of the tubes about 3/4 full.

It makes them even more sturdy, and combined with the blue tac, they are not going anywhere...

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I picked up a pair of these stands a couple of weeks ago, and the tube bungs were in a separate poly bag in the box. At the time I also bought a set of Atacama isolation pads for the top and a tub of atabites to part fill the tubes.

When the stands were first temporarily set up with my speakers the bass had improved but it muddied the mid range somewhat (prior to filling). After filling, the mid range cleared and everything became more focused (one tube of atabites spread between all tubes fills them to about 2/3 to 3/4 full). When I later added the isolation pads the sound tightened up even more.

Originally I felt disappointed but after finishing the job properly things had really improved. I haven't had the speakers for very much longer than the stands either (B&W 685's), so I'm hoping that the sound will improve with time, although the speakers still sound "small" at low volume when compared with my previous ancient Tannoy Mercury M20's which they have replaced. A bit more tinkering is required I suppose.

CA 640A(v2), 640C(v2), Denon TU-1800AB, Atlas Equator MkII, QED SA XT, Tacima CS929.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Joe10155: I picked up a pair of these stands a couple of weeks ago, and the tube bungs were in a separate poly bag in the box.

Yeah, display model, didn't get the box, unfortunately.
emotion-10.gif

I'll have to ring the shop and ask them if they've got them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts