Panasonic TH50PX70 or Samsung PS50Q97HDX

A

Anonymous

Wasn't this in the July edition?

I bought my Sammy on the back of it. Only things against it are the torturously slow Freeview channel changing and irritating moire effect seen in reflections from the screen when the room is bright. Otherwise the Sammy is fab. It's also a lot cheaper.

But if price is no object I'd have a look at the Panny to see if it doesn't suffer the flaws my Sammy has. Sound like a bunch of children don't they, Sammy and Panny ;-)

WHFSV did give the title to the Samsung though and I do love using it.

A

Anonymous

Both look to be good TV's....recently compared them prior to a purchase...

this weekend I just bought the 'panny' TH50PX70 with PED stand from Curry's ..you can currently get this from them/Dixons for around £1,100. Now that looks a good price, compared with the 'sammy' price I would propose that the 'panny' may look the better proposition ??? (it did to me).

A

Anonymous

JOSHUSe

What have you got hooked up to your Panny 50PX70: Freeview/SKYHD or SD SKY DIGITAL?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I like Will Harris have th Samsung screen and chose it over the Panasonic and that is from someone who was upgrading from a Panasonic serier 5. I found whilst auditioning the 2 screens side by side with varing differnt inputs ranging from freeview to hd-dvd that the black levels on the Samsung were deeper and revield far more information into the shadows and at some points the image on the Pansonic was a litle soft. So it supprised me that I ended up ith the Samsung but on the whole even tho like Will Harris I have noticed this moire effect when there is a higher amount of ambient light on the whole it is not enough to distract yourviewing plesure.
Mine is mainly used for watching DVD upscaled via my Denon DVD3930 and the results are fantastic, but dont skrimp on your choice of dvd player as a £200 player does not do this screen justice.

A

Anonymous

I am currently using Freeview, having just come off Sky SD...

Am looking at options for the 'next step' i.e. upscaled DVD/HD....so found the above comments very useful.

Initial thoughts were to invest in a 'quality' DVD player, linked to a new Receiver(HD sound) & Loudspeaker system, or poss consider a PS3 (instead of the DVD) - which in the new year also becomes a PVR/digital tuner....

Any comments on recommended gear/experiences are appreciated....

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Go for a Quality DVD player not the PS3. The PS3 can play dvds but nowhere near as well as a good dvd player. Everyone must rember that the PS3 is a games console and everything else it does is a bonus but not its primary function. Do you have any non-region 2 dvds? if so you will not be able to play them on the PS3.
I have a PS3 and I have the Samsung 50"" but when I compare the results of the PS3 upscaling dvd to 720 and that of my Denon 3930 the PS3 picture is nowhere near as sharp and edges apaer less defined. Leave the PS3 for playing games on and a good dvd player for enjoying your dvd on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the PS3 vs dedicated DVD player...

I start the search for a good DVD player........

A

Anonymous

I too really like the look of the Samsung in preference to the Panasonic, especially too after having seen how good it copes with SD FREEVIEW and also SD SKY. My major concern is its size . My room is 14ft X 14Ft and I would be sitting 10ft away from this Giant, but then at least will be able to mount over a fireplace and mantlepiece which is bang smack in the middle of a wall so am guessing it will look the business.

However could prove a costly mistake if I happen to miscalculate.

A

Anonymous

Same layout as in my room, for which I have a photo but cannot post it here!!!!!!!! Crazy WHFSV forums don't allow attached photos to be inserted, only URL links. Grrrrrrr.

I sit 9feet away and it's fine not at all too big. I had a 42" at Christmas and you just get used to it far too quickly and it ceases to look remotely cinematic after a while. 50" is much better, buy it with confidence!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
My room is not much bigger and I too used to have a 42"" which if you go by the screen size chart is TOO BIG FOR MY ROOM but I find even with the 50"" I could have gone bigger but the wife would have gone nuts! It's all down to personal prefrences in the end and for me I was after a more cinematic experience and with the 50"" I think I have it. My speakers according too these kind of size charts are also too big for my room (KEF IQ9s, KEF IQ3s and KEF IQ6C powered by Yamaha RXV2500) but I think it looks and sounds the nuts!

A

Anonymous

Sounds blooming lovely!

Much like mine.

Nice work DJ Krime!

ta ta te tum

ta ta te tum ;-)

A

Anonymous

OK OK Messrs Harris & Krime ( Sounds like a Detective Agency)

You've convinced me.................Should be able to get one in about 3/4 weeks time.......Once my bathroom's done.......and no..........it aint going up on the wall over the Bog!

A

Anonymous

PS: What Wall Mount would you suggest-Don't want a Tilt one and one that will give me enough space between the wall and teh back of the Tv to connect my leads

A

Anonymous

No idea, mine sits on a stand and I'd show you except I can't as the photo can't be attached, only a URL is possible. Grrrrrr.

Let us know what you choose, only make damn sure you use very long screws and rawlplugs to attach the wall bracket. It's a heavy ****** of a screen!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Mine also sit on the table top stand on a av unit but being the nice fella I am I have looked up in the manual the spec for wall mounting. The screen is VESA 600x400 so any wall mount with this spec will be ok providing it is ok for a 50"". I installed one of these screens for a mate of mine (he was so impressed with mine) and that was wall mounted. I got a simple wall mount on ebay with had tilt adjustment for screens upto 60"" for £50 delivered.
Like Will I can for the life of me figure out how to put a photo onto these forums!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Harris & Krime. Listen......I know the Samsung doesn't accept a 1080p signal, but does that mean I cannot use it in time with a Blu Ray profile, as I'm guessing the TV will downscale the Blu Ray picture down to 720p ?

I know the resolution of the TV is 1368 X 768 and I have heard that if I don't want to play Blu Ray, that Arcam actually make an Upscaling DVD Player that can upscale to 768p in additon to 720p and 1080p though it's around £800 but I can't for the life of me recollect the model in question

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts