Panasonic SC-BT200 Advice. How can I get it to change audio inputs automatically?

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Panasonic SC-BT200 combined with a Panasonic TX-L37G10. I'm very happy with the set up. However, despite reading the handbook a number of times I still can't get one thing to work.

There are 2 optical audio inputs going into the Home Cinema system. Input 1 is from the TV itself and Input 2 is from a SKY+ box.

When I'm watching the set if I am on the TV itself (FreeSat/Freeview) the Home Cinema system automatically changes to Input 1 to get the correct sound. If I change over to SKY+ the audio doesn't automatically change to Input 2. I have to do this myself via the remote. If I change back to FreeSat/Freeview the Home Cinema system automatically changes to Input 1.

So - what I need to know it why doesn't the system change to Input 2 automatically and can I do anything about it?

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help.

A

Anonymous

I think it changes automatically for the tv sound for the reason that could be the HDMI that is connected between the tv and the SC-BT200, as it sends a signal down the HDMI to the head unit to auto switch to tv sound when you switch to the tv's own tuner/s, this used to happen on last years models too. Where in the case for your Sky+, it is merely connected just with a optical connection into the SC-BT200 and cannot get such a trigger signal to switch automatically as its not a Panasonic product, hence why you have to switch the digital input selection yourself to input 2.

I think thats the answer to your question.

Regards> M

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so much. So only if I upgrade to SKY+ HD with it's HDMI output will I be able to do this. Shame.

Don't suppose there are any ordinary SKY+ boxes that have HDMI outputs?

I suppose I could get a Harmony remote and programme it to switch automatically.

Slightly off topic - since you're 'Panasonic Store' - any reports of delays with the 7 free Blu Ray Film offer? I sent my receipt/SAE off on 4th Dec and still no sign of the films.

Thanks for all your help.

A

Anonymous

I think even if you upgrade to Sky+ HD, the automatic switch over of the sound would still not work as the tv and the theatre kit comunicate in a different manner specially for Panasonic to Panasonic i.e your TX-L37G10 to the SC-BT200 relates back to each other for the auto switching sound to work. As for a Sky+ or Sky+ HD box, it still is a external box and would still need you to manually switch the sound to input 2.

About the 7 Free Blu Ray offer, Panasonic had to end this offer as they were overwhelmed with the response and also that they had run out of the movies but in your case, you should still get yours as you sent off your application in the early part of december, they do state it could take a month for the movies to arrive. They did state to us that applications sent before the cut off date which was the 3rd week of december would be still honoured.

Regards> M

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Panasonic Store - thanks for your continued help.

I wonder if you could offer some advice on this issue. When I turn the TV on and the SC-BT200 comes on automatically it always defaults to the Blu-Ray screen first. We then have to scroll through the AV inputs to get to the TV/SKY+ inputs. This drives my wife nuts. Is there anyway to get the set-up to default to the SKY+ input first as we watch this far more often than the Blu-Ray.

Also, any news from Panasonic about futher additions to Viera Cast - I notice that 'Coming Soon' is on several of the mini screens on Viera Cast. So is anything 'Coming Soon'?

Lastly, my 7 free DVDs did come this week - great deal. Kept 'Ice Age 3' for the kiddie and sold the others on Ebay - part of the proceeds went towards a Tacima CS929 mains conditioner/surge protector.

A

Anonymous

I have seen this happen before regarding the blu ray system turning on when you switch the tv on, i think the reason why it might switch on is to do with tv sending the instruction to the BT200 via the HDMI, i think the system switches on when you switch the tv on so you can drive the sound from your tv through the cinema system even though it comes onto the blu ray screen first. The thing to try is to turn off the link settings, to do this you need to press "Menu" on your tv remote control, then choose "Setup" and head to "Link Settings", in this menu you will see "Viera Link", choose "Off" and then exit out of it all. This will disable the special communication between the cinema system and tv. This should cure the problem. You can also assign your tv to switch onto a AV channel (e.g the Sky+ box) from when you switch the tv on, to do this you need to press "Menu" on your remote control, go to "Setup" and then to "Other Settings" and change the "Power on Preference" from "TV" to "AV" and then exit out of it all again. This should then tell the tv to come onto the last AV channel you were using before you switched off the tv. Give both of these a go and see what you think.

No news yet to us regarding extra services on the Viera Cast feature, we were told a while ago that Panasonic were trying to get BBC iplayer on it but no news yet, all i can say is watch this space as Panasonic are due to launch later this year more tv's / blu ray products that have the Viera Cast built in, so who knows we could get some new services later this year. Fingers crossed.

Great to hear you received your 7 free blu ray disc promo from Panasonic and a good choice trading some in for the Tacima CS929, a great product. You might get the spending bug again and change all your power cables like i did after you see and hear the difference the Tacima makes.

Regards> M

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that advice PannyMan. Unfortunately, when I turn the 'Viera Link' off I have to manually change the audio inputs when I switch from BR to TV/SKY+ - never mind - worth a go.

Thinking of getting a Harmony 525/555 remote or the new All For One Smart Control (£25! seems too good to be true) so that my wife can simply press 'Watch SKY+' or 'Watch Film' and let it do it's stuff.

I have also made some changes to the sound set up in the SC-BT200 as I was finding the Sub too bass heavy even at the lowest setting and, at the same time, having to turn the volume on the other speakers up a little to hear some speech. For example, the bass on the dinosauras footsteps on the BR of 'Ice Age 3' was scaring my son even on the lowest setting. After hunting for advice online I now have the following settings which seem to have brought the speech forward a bit and lessened the bass somewhat;

Dynamic Range Compression should be on 'Auto'.

Sub effects should be set to 1

Sub volume should be -6

Centre should be +2 to +6 (this is to taste as well)

Left and right rear : turn up to taste

Despite having to make various changes to the whole set-up I can confidently say that I have a relatively low cost set up (TV - £700, BR system - £400) that easily gives me a more immersive experience than going to my local cinema. Plus less chance of getting bleach poured on you when you ask someone to be quiet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts