Panasonic DMP-BDT110

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
The magazine gave a good review of this player and the Skype facility , in particular , interests me. However, I see on the box it says ' Requires the purchase of a Panasonic web-cam'. Can someone advise whether this means , literally, a PANASONIC web-cam, or could other makes be used ( I have a good quality Logitech one ). Many thanks for any views.

As far as I'm aware, you cannot use any other webcam for the Skype functionality.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Supplies-Accessories/Televisions/Plasma-TV-Accessories/Communications-Camera/model.TY-CC10W_11002_7000000000000005702

http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/1000130800/Panasonic-Skype-Camera.aspx?ref=google&loc=WebCams&ci_src="18615224&ci_sku=1000130800"

A

Anonymous

I suspect you will find an issue with regard to software drivers. Before you connected your Logitech webcam, for example, you will have installed the appropriate Windows (or Mac) drivers from the CD supplied with the webcam before physically plugging it in, or alternatively you would have relied on generic Windows/Mac plug-and-play in-built drivers.

Panasonic, on the other hand, are likely to have only installed their proprietory webcam software drivers at the manufacturing stage, meaning a Panasonic webcam will be "recognised" when plugged in, whereas a generic or other branded webcam won't. It's just another cunning example of a manufacturer forcing you to buy their (typically expensive) accessories or add-ons.

I can't see a way around this likelihood, simply because you can't "get at" the on-board Blu-ray player's software without risking screwing the whole thing up, unlike a PC where it's fairly easy to get into Windows or MacOS to make system configuration, driver and registry changes (provided of course you know what you're doing).

I shall be interested to see whether or not the WHF test team confirms this or not in due course.

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks to all who replied to my question . Looks like I might just stick to my Sony 370 for Blu-ray and my computer for Skype!!

sheehanjuk

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
my 110 arrived today and err problem! you can't play movies 24 fps if you're connecting via hifi interconnects because the result is NO SOUND. for some odd reason if you activate the 24 fps option this turns off the analogue hifi sockets on the 110. error? i hope so.

going to further test 110 later but at present not impressed. plus panasonic is noisier than my old sony s360.

TRENDING THREADS