Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn and other niggle

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

Had my Panny GT50 for 6 months now and I love or should that be loved it!

I have two issues with it now.

1. For some time I have noticed horizantal lines on the tv when rolling text is displayed. For example on the end credits of Ripper Street or films, there is a constant line throughout the text. The worst was on Toy Story 2 where they had the outtakes in the credits, the lines were awful. Surprisingly I think this coincides with the approximate time for the 200 hour burn in phase, which is when I thought Plasma's peaked!

2. Image retention/screen burn. I noticed last night after not using the PS3 for several hours that I had IR/screen burn from Fifa 12. Now this only shows up in certain circumstances (mainly light scenes) but is very annoying. Also I'm disappointed in the fact that I know the image on the screen was only visible for 20 mins max, its not like its been hours on end

I've read through Oldboys thread re his G20, a TV I also have. This I did notice IR on but was always gone in a few minutes/the following morning. Sadly this looks different from the start and I had a restless night, which was topped when I got up this morning to still see my Fifa logo :-(

Now frantically running the screen scroll and disconnected the ariel to fill it with a scrambled picture.

Let us pray!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Game mode on the GT50 has a very high default constrast setting (very close to the Dynamic preset, in fact). Did you make any picture adjustments from default settings? I'm not suggesting this is your fault, though Panasonic might take a less sympathetic view. The TV should be fit for purpose and of course the Game preset is designed for gaming.

My guess is that you've got stubborn image retention rather than screen burn at this early stage. Leave Fifa alone for a while, run the scrolling bar when you're not watching the TV, and things will hopefully improve. As suggested above, drop the contrast setting down on the Game preset if you haven't already (it's far too bright out of the box anyway).

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
To be fair I often forget to change it from THX to Game mode as I use my PS3 for films also. I would say 99% of my gaming has been in THX mode, including rather long stints on Red Dead Redemption! Annoyingly I stayed off my F1 game for 4 months to let the screen settle before letting it see hours of a head and the front of a car for this very reason, then it happens to be one of the many menu screens on Fifa that gets me!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, don't panic yet. Just be careful with the settings for a while. You could try switching to one of the Professional presets, as they have a luminance cap. You can also engage the Pixel Orbiter function here.

Incidentally, the horizontal lines you're describing are line bleed, which is a characteristic of plasma television technology. If you can stomach Noel Edmonds, try watching Deal or No Deal and you'll see this quite clearly. Line bleed isn't a problem as such and tends to be more evident on higher contrast settings. To me, the Professional presets are plenty bright enough, though you may need to adjust if you're used to watching LED televisions (I'm not sure if you're a long term plasma owner, so excuse me if I'm stating the obvious).

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, got my sensible cap on at the moment and all my toys are still in the pram! Going to see what happens over the next week or so.

I've only had Plasma TV's (both of them!), the previous being the G20 which didn't have the bleed you mention above, I can live with that, you only really see it if you look for it (as in the menus as well when moving up and down). I'll try the professional settings for a while to alter the brightness and contrast settings from THX mode.

Don't suppose you know how to stop the TV from turning itself off when it finds out it has no ariel attached? I have the rolling black/white bar going but the scrambled picture one turns the TV off and I can't find the setting to keep it on.

Cheers

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'll have a look later for you about the automatic turn off, but they'll be something in the manual somewhere, though whether you can change it, I don't know.

I had some IR a few days ago after watching cricket on Sky Sports for just over an hour. Very annoying, as I'd had the tv running for a few hours every day since the beginning of January on low contrast/brightness settings, with the pixel orbiter always on, and being very wary of fixed bright images.

It's just about gone after running the scrolling bar through the night, but still faintly there. I've now turned the contrast and brightness right down again, and when watching Sky Sports, I zoom in so that the Sky Sports logo is no longer visible. This is a temporary measure, maybe for another few weeks, then I'm back to watching normally, with normal settings. If the IR comes back then, me and the GT might well be getting divorced.

I never had these problems with the Kuro, a 5 year old tv, yet a brand new, near top of the range tv is causing so much trouble.

Panasonic, get your act together, the Samsung plasmas no longer have this problem, so why do yours?
angry.png

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

And just to add, why do some channels have to have such bright logos, they know it can cause problems for plasma owners?
angry.png

Could it be possible for someone to create some software/hardware, that removes the logos from the screen completely, or atleast, takes away the brightness?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
Don't suppose you know how to stop the TV from turning itself off when it finds out it has no ariel attached? I have the rolling black/white bar going but the scrambled picture one turns the TV off and I can't find the setting to keep it on.

Cheers

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, as I don't use an external tuner.

If you go into the "Setup" menu and select "Link Settings," there's an option to disable "Intelligent Auto Standby." Perhaps that'll do the trick.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I had some IR a few days ago after watching cricket on Sky Sports for just over an hour.

If the IR comes back then, me and the GT might well be getting divorced.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully this will become less of a problem further down the line.

Fortunately I haven't seen any IR on my GT50, but I don't doubt that this has been an issue for others. I don't have Sky. Are the logos bolder than, say, BBCHD or 4HD?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yes they are Strapped, Sky Sports and others are ridiculous, and they should spare a thought for plasma owners.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
And just to add, why do some channels have to have such bright logos, they know it can cause problems for plasma owners?
angry.png

Could it be possible for someone to create some software/hardware, that removes the logos from the screen completely, or atleast, takes away the brightness?

Someone on AV did contact Sky and had a go at them over the Sky Sports News one. They have not done anything about it though. I just avoid that channel now as much as possible, watched it way too much anyway.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Yes they are Strapped, Sky Sports and others are ridiculous, and they should spare a thought for plasma owners.

That's another thing I can add to my list of reasons to dislike the Murdoch empire. Less imposing channel logos are perhaps the reason I haven't had a problem with IR, at least not so far.

I hope channel idents will become less prominent as OLED TVs become more commonplace. Self-illuminating pixel technologies are inevitably more prone to issues with image retention and burn in.

Plasma televisions are still in a minority of enthusiasts' homes. As a minority we have to shout louder to be heard. You could start a petition, but I'm guessing Sky's impulse to brand is stronger than any inclination to appease a few grumbling plasma TV owners.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

That's another thing I can add to my list of reasons to dislike the Murdoch empire. Less imposing channel logos are perhaps the reason I haven't had a problem with IR, at least not so far.

I hope channel idents will become less prominent as OLED TVs become more commonplace. Self-illuminating pixel technologies are inevitably more prone to issues with image retention and burn in.

Plasma televisions are still in a minority of enthusiasts' homes. As a minority we have to shout louder to be heard. You could start a petition, but I'm guessing Sky's impulse to brand is stronger than any inclination to appease a few grumbling plasma TV owners.

I took the first steps of ridding myself of Sky, bought a Freesat PVR, found a site where I can watch the footy online (poor picture though), so I just need to do it. Problem is, HD is where the GT comes into it's own, and Sky have so many HD channels, and Freesat doesn't. If Freesat was to add a few more, especially Film4 HD, I'd do it like a shot.

A

Anonymous

If you want to own a plasma.....

1) Run it in properly on low contrast / low brightness settings - existing presets including THX must not be used until run in.

2) Do. Not. Use. It. For. Gaming. Ever. Get an LED if you want to play racing drivers.

D

Deleted member 2457

cloverleaf146 said:

1) Run it in properly on low contrast / low brightness settings - existing presets including THX must not be used until run in.

2) Do. Not. Use. It. For. Gaming. Ever. Get an LED if you want to play racing drivers.

Agreed.

A

Anonymous

gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:

Agreed.

Blimey. Do we agree on something ? I'm worried now :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cloverleaf146 said:

Really? And I thought Dynamic mode while playing games 24 hours a day was the way to go.

Well, you live and learn. Next you'll be telling me the earth isn't flat.
wall.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:

Agreed.

We agree on lots looking at your signature.
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
cloverleaf146 said:

Really? And I thought Dynamic mode while playing games 24 hours a day was the way to go.

Well, you live and learn. Next you'll be telling me the earth isn't flat.
wall.gif

Well Bernard, bearing in mind that in this very thread you have admitted to having IR yourself, perhaps stating the bleedin obvious is what you need someone to do for you.......:wave:

A

Anonymous

gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:
gel said:
cloverleaf146 said:

Agreed.

We agree on lots looking at your signature.
smiley-smile.gif

Maybe ! Although I still covet a set of B&Ws :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd like to know what settings you have used?

I'm not after you help by the way, there are plenty of decent people on here, knowledgeable, and respectful, who's advice I'd much rather seek when I need it.

But I am interested to see if you can back up what you say, if you actually have any knowledge, anything worthwhile to say, or are you the unpleasant troll I suspect you are.

Just try being a bit more pleasant, it doesn't cost you anything, I promise.

A

Anonymous

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'd like to know what settings you have used?

I'm not after you help by the way, there are plenty of decent people on here, knowledgeable, and respectful, who's advice I'd much rather seek when I need it.

But I am interested to see if you can back up what you say, if you actually have any knowledge, anything worthwhile to say, or are you the unpleasant troll I suspect you are.

Just try being a bit more pleasant, it doesn't cost you anything, I promise.

You appear to be suffering from short term memory loss Bernard; I beleive it was you that came out with the sarcy comments about running Dynamic setting 24/7.......try to be a bit more pleasant old chap; it doesn't cost you anything, I promise :p

TRENDING THREADS