Panasonic 50GT50 Image Retention/Screen Burn and other niggle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I took the first steps of ridding myself of Sky, bought a Freesat PVR, found a site where I can watch the footy online (poor picture though), so I just need to do it. Problem is, HD is where the GT comes into it's own, and Sky have so many HD channels, and Freesat doesn't. If Freesat was to add a few more, especially Film4 HD, I'd do it like a shot.

I found it surprisingly easy to rid myself of Sky quite a few years back. I realised that I watched very little Sky content. I typically own films I really like, many of which are not shown on the movie channels anyway, so no real gain there from a Sky subscription.

Then again, I'm not into football. I'm guessing you'll feel a more acute sense of loss if forced to go without. With Freesat and an extensive DVD/Blu-ray collection, I'm never short of something to watch. In fact, I've got quite a backlog of Blu-rays yet to see the disc tray. There's a glut of content out there and only so many viewing hours in each day.

cloverleaf146 said:
2) Do. Not. Use. It. For. Gaming. Ever. Get an LED if you want to play racing drivers.

That's a strange advice, considering that plasmas are actually more suited to gaming due to their inherently faster response rates and better motion control without employing and artificial processing. I've played games on my PS3 for hours (7 hours at one time), yet no IR or screen burn on my Kuro.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't game, but I've never noticed screen burn on my 8th and 9th generation Kuros, but I HAVE noticed some Image Retention (which went after using the Colour Wash setting for a few hours) on my unsignatured LG 60PZ950T plasma in the kitchen, when I had been watching Channel 5 + 1 and it got to the end of the transmission and only the big channel logo was displayed. That must have been on the screen for about 4 hours, and there was some temporary IR. Perhaps the Kuros (and now the recent Samsung plasmas) were very good at dealing with IR or screen burn, and other plasmas are not?

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
I don't game, but I've never noticed screen burn on my 8th and 9th generation Kuros, but I HAVE noticed some Image Retention (which went after using the Colour Wash setting for a few hours) on my unsignatured LG 60PZ950T plasma in the kitchen, when I had been watching Channel 5 + 1 and it got to the end of the transmission and only the big channel logo was displayed. That must have been on the screen for about 4 hours, and there was some temporary IR. Perhaps the Kuros (and now the recent Samsung plasmas) were very good at dealing with IR or screen burn, and other plasmas are not?

My Pioneer 5090 got screen burn, nothing is invincible.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well it looks like the IR is gradually going :dance:

Been running the scarmbled picture and rolling screen for a couple of days now as well as normal TV use and its looking good. Can only see it now on the basis I know where to look for it rather than just being able to see it. Hopefully another few days will get rid of it

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Been running the scarmbled picture and rolling screen for a couple of days now as well as normal TV use and its looking good. Can only see it now on the basis I know where to look for it rather than just being able to see it. Hopefully another few days will get rid of it

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

rocketrazor said:

Did you work out how to do it without the tv turning itself off? Would be useful to know.

Mine has completely gone now, and I'm being hyper careful to avoid any repeat. Come April, I'll return the settings to those Strapped recommended, really liked them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

cartoon-couple-yawning.jpg

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I didn't work it out in the end, I just kept running downstairs and moving something on the remote to stop it turning off! Even the scrolling bars turned off one day!

What settings did Strapped recommend, can you point me to the post or let me know? I currently use THX Cinema for films and I've amended Professional 1 to something I found on the web for gaming, but I'm not convinced on it yet

Cheers

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
What settings did Strapped recommend, can you point me to the post or let me know? I currently use THX Cinema for films and I've amended Professional 1 to something I found on the web for gaming, but I'm not convinced on it yet

The white balance and other settings can be found here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1337671783

Bear in mind, though, that different white balance adjustments are needed for different panels, so you can never be sure that copying settings results in a more accurate picture.

On both GT50s I've owned, the THX preset had a green cast, which may lessen as the panel ages. Plasma televisions typically shift toward red over time. Panasonic has perhaps sought to compensate for this, with long term accuracy in mind.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
rocketrazor said:

The white balance and other settings can be found here:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1337671783

Bear in mind, though, that different white balance adjustments are needed for different panels, so you can never be sure that copying settings results in a more accurate picture.

On both GT50s I've owned, the THX preset had a green cast, which may lessen as the panel ages. Plasma televisions typically shift toward red over time. Panasonic has perhaps sought to compensate for this, with long term accuracy in mind.

Cheers Strapped, the Irony of it all is there the exact same settings from the exact same website I was mentioning in the thread earlier, the ones I'm not to sure on. Seems Ok for gaming but I looked at a few scenes from Transformers last night and the THX Cinema settings just seemed nicer to watch. I didn't see the test thing last time though on one of the tabs, I'll be playing aroud this weekend, thats for sure!

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Am reading all this with interest, and a little concern, as have been toying with replacing my KURO for a GT50. Have spent plenty of hours gaming on the KURO over the years, often for extended periods, and never once had an issue with IR. Rocketrazor, has the IR fully dissapeared now?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Am reading all this with interest, and a little concern, as have been toying with replacing my KURO for a GT50. Have spent plenty of hours gaming on the KURO over the years, often for extended periods, and never once had an issue with IR. Rocketrazor, has the IR fully dissapeared now?

Hi Mr Malarky, its not gone 100% but is 98% better than it was when it started. I plan to carry on running the scrolling bar and scrambled picture over the weekend. Its only on bright screens it can now be seen, such as the scroll bar white and the light green colour that playstion loads with. Its not noticable now when the TV is being used normally. I had it on the right side and left side from the same screen in Fifa, right side has gone and the left is just floating there. I'll keep you posted after the weekend as thats then almost a full week spent trying to get rid of it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mr malarky said:

I had a Kuro, and I never had any problem at all with IR, though I did buy it 2nd hand, so it had obviously been well run in by then.

I sold my Kuro for three reasons. Firstly, the 5 year warranty had just run out, secondly, I wanted a smart tv, and finally, I wanted to sell it while it still had some value. With hindsight, after the problems I've had, IR, and DSE, I'm not sure I'd make the same decision.

If you still have some warranty left on your Kuro, I'd definitely stick with it, if you don't , then you have probably got to make a decision.

Is the GT better than the Kuro? In some ways, yes, but in many other ways, no.

The Kuros are better made, have better components, better with motion, better screen uniformity. The KRP and 5090/6090 will be as good at blacks as the GT, the LX508D that I had, wasn't quite as good with blacks, but it still beat it on everything else.

The truth is, I like my GT, but I loved my Kuro. That's the difference for me.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Bernard, helps to hear from someone who's already made the change. Main reason for thinking if changing is wanting a larger screen (am thinking 55, or maybe even 65 if the wallet will bear the strain!); based on what your saying it wouldn't be worth the change of only going up to 55, if the bank account will handle a change to 65 then still have a dilemma on my hands. Good luck over the weekend rocket razor, let me know how you get on?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I sold my Kuro for three reasons. Firstly, the 5 year warranty had just run out, secondly, I wanted a smart tv, and finally, I wanted to sell it while it still had some value. With hindsight, after the problems I've had, IR, and DSE, I'm not sure I'd make the same decision.

I feel the same about my old V20. I chose to "upgrade" because I wanted a bigger screen. The V20 had perfect screen uniformity; and I mean perfect. In some regards I feel I've taken a step backwards and handed over £999 for the privilege.

I'm still not sure what the solution is. Some days I convince myself that the dirty screen effect isn't an issue, as I barely spot it. On other days, such as today, I end up watching programmes that show the issue up every time the camera pans.

I'd and ask for a refund, but that would mean living without a television, as every other TV currently available comes loaded with its own, equally distracting problems.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I feel the same about my old V20. I chose to "upgrade" because I wanted a bigger screen. The V20 had perfect screen uniformity; and I mean perfect. In some regards I feel I've taken a step backwards and handed over £999 for the privilege.

I'm still not sure what the solution is. Some days I convince myself that the dirty screen effect isn't an issue, as I barely spot it. On other days, such as today, I end up watching programmes that show the issue up every time the camera pans.

I'd and ask for a refund, but that would mean living without a television, as every other TV currently available comes loaded with its own, equally distracting problems.

2nd hand Kuro or V20?
shifty.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

2nd hand Kuro or V20?
shifty.gif

I've been having precisely those thoughts.

I might call John Lewis to discuss options (and perhaps to find out when 2013 models will be in stock). Who knows if they'll be any better, though.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mr malarky said:

I had a Kuro, and I never had any problem at all with IR, though I did buy it 2nd hand, so it had obviously been well run in by then.

If you still have some warranty left on your Kuro, I'd definitely stick with it, if you don't , then you have probably got to make a decision.

Is the GT better than the Kuro? In some ways, yes, but in many other ways, no.

The Kuros are better made, have better components, better with motion, better screen uniformity. The KRP and 5090/6090 will be as good at blacks as the GT, the LX508D that I had, wasn't quite as good with blacks, but it still beat it on everything else.

The truth is, I like my GT, but I loved my Kuro. That's the difference for me.

mr malarky said:
Thanks Bernard, helps to hear from someone who's already made the change. Main reason for thinking if changing is wanting a larger screen (am thinking 55, or maybe even 65 if the wallet will bear the strain!); based on what your saying it wouldn't be worth the change of only going up to 55, if the bank account will handle a change to 65 then still have a dilemma on my hands. Good luck over the weekend rocket razor, let me know how you get on?

Hello Mr Malarky,

Interesting to hear from a fellow Kuro 5090 owner. I'm glad that you explained above why you were thinking of changing from your Kuro.. As I've gradually increased the sizes of my TVs, often without people noticing, I can say CATEGORICALLY that if you want a bigger screen, then going from the 50 inches of your Kuro to a 55" would be a complete waste of money. You must go to at least a 60", and preferably to a 65", to notice the difference. If that is too much financially then stick with your Pioneer 5090 - it's still a very good set, even if mine is now in my second bedroom. You could maybe consider updating it with a separate Freeview HD or Freesat HD set-top box, but that's all until you can afford a (good) new (much) bigger TV.

By the way, the link below gives the European sizes of the various new Panasonic ranges. I think you said that you wanted a GT50 set? Not in 60" or 65" (in Europe) you won't! The only option in new Panasonic plasmas is now the 60", £4,000 ZT60, or the 65" VT60. If you can still get an outgoing 65ST50 or 65VT50 I would grab one!

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2013-panasonic-2013-tvs-sizes-prices-specs-pictures-release-dates

TRENDING THREADS