Panasonic 37px80 - Buzzzzzz help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have just bought a px80 having read tonnes of helpful threads on here but have just noiticed it has started to buzz. I read something on here about that but can't find it again - something about some wires touch that can be fixed?

It isn't really bad but definately noictable - any advice would really be appriciated. I bought it from the panasonic shop with a 5 year warrenty so no problems there (I hope) I just wanted to check if it is normal or should it be silent - help!!

Thanks,

Smudge07

A

Anonymous

Hi

Mine buzzes too but it's not always noticeable, it depends on what I am watching and at what volume. If anyone does know of a fix please post it.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hi SG79,

I found this on amazons web site:

About the buzzing sound - mine does make a slight buzzing sound and
I found out (from trawling the internet) that this is caused by some
internal wiring vibrating on the inside of the outer case at the back.
There is apparently a Panasonic technical bulletin about this (a simple
fix) and it is covered by the warranty. I located my nearest Panasonic
service centre from Panasonic's website and gave them a call. This
model is covered by the 'at home' warranty and an engineer is coming to
resolve the problem in a couple of days time. No cost to me. I was
aware of this before buying the TV but as I knew it could be easily
resolved I went ahead because it is such a great tv. Not sure if you
have bought yours yet, but if you haven't I can highly recommend it. It
blows the competition out of the water.

I am going to call panasonic tomorrow I will let you know what they say.

Regards,

Smudge07

A

Anonymous

nice one smudge, I checked mine last night as I couldn't hear any buzzing and I turned off everythign else to listen - no buzz, not even a quiet one!

I will keep an ear out for it returning and get in touch with panasonic if it returns.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Got an update on buzz. I got the panasonic shop to come and have a look at it. They procastinated a bit but in the end decided it was a little too noisy and took it away. They guy from the shop told me they do buzz a bit especially on light pages - I read tonnes of stuff before buying and didn't read that anywhere - apparently this model used to have buzzing problems in the past but have now been rectified!

They came back yesterday with a new TV and guess what the buzzing is.........much much worse!!!!!

I have had a look at the back of the tv and when I pressed on the rear panel it was much better - I have just tightened the screws on the back and the buzz in hardly noticeable - normal plasma stuff I guess.

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems - glad SG79 tv fixed itself.

Just one final thing I am not obsesive about noise at all however I can't tell you how disapointed I am with this buzz just want new tv hunters to be for warned.

If it gets worse than this it will have to go.

Regards

Smudge.

A

Anonymous

Still buzzing driving me crazy can other 37px80 owners please let me know if theirs make any noise at all - please!!

Thanks,

Smudge

A

Anonymous

Hello all px3780 owners - there must be hundreds on this forum. Are your totally silent? please share.

Thanks in advance,

Smudge.

A

Anonymous

In all honesty.....I just muted Grumpy Old Men and not the slightest hum. Not a fan sound and , hold on....if I put my head down the back of the set I can hear the faintest vibration..... but no definable source or point of sound.

Sorry, but it may be your set or set up. Is it on a stable base and with enough circulation ?

A

Anonymous

I've got two of them and haven't heard anything from them at all except the programme sound.

I have both of mine wall mounted but whether that makes any difference or not I wouldn't know.

Strange.

Take it back to be replaced before they disappear.

Many people have posted about this TV and never mentioned this - you must be really unlucky.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies Andyb and Captain.

My TV is not wall mounted and can't be unfortunately, wonder if that would stop it. I have the faint vibration Andyb mentioned from the right hand side of the TV but the much more audible buzz is from the left hand side at the back if I push the plastic back about half was down if disappears.

The reason the buzz is particularly annoying is because the frequency of it changed depending on the brightness of the picture - if it were a constant sound i am sure you would zone it out.

Looks like I will call them Monday - not looking forward to that call I don't want another duff one, I can still get a refund within 28 days still however I spent weeks research which one to get and nothing else comes close perhaps the sony 40v4000 of something similar I can trade a worse picture for a slightly bigger screen size!!

Thanks,

Smudge.

A

Anonymous

Or perhaps check out the PX80 replacements due in stores in about 2 weeks?

A

Anonymous

Just to clarify- I have no sound at all coming from my tv....except the workings humming barely audibly. I really did put my head against the rear of the tv to hear it.

I'm sorry to hear ....what you're hearing but it seems very uncommon.

Hope you sort it soon.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
smudge07:
Thanks for the replies Andyb and Captain.

My TV is not wall mounted and can't be unfortunately, wonder if that would stop it. I have the faint vibration Andyb mentioned from the right hand side of the TV but the much more audible buzz is from the left hand side at the back if I push the plastic back about half was down if disappears.

The reason the buzz is particularly annoying is because the frequency of it changed depending on the brightness of the picture - if it were a constant sound i am sure you would zone it out.

Looks like I will call them Monday - not looking forward to that call I don't want another duff one, I can still get a refund within 28 days still however I spent weeks research which one to get and nothing else comes close perhaps the sony 40v4000 of something similar I can trade a worse picture for a slightly bigger screen size!!

Thanks,

Smudge.

Most plasmas buzz to a greater or lesser extend, some people are just less susceptible to it than others. There have been numerous stories on folks changing kuro's 2 or 3 times thinking they had a faulty set. Needless to say they all buzzed and it seems to be a characteristic of the technology, Pioneer actually now pointing this out in their manuals. This may not be of
great help to you but try altering your seating or tv position slightly
as it is normaly highly directive. I have a Pioneer and it too buzzes slightly, especially when used without any
power-saving modes.. Sitting just slightly off-axis almost completely
eradicates the 'problem', as does using the said power-saving modes in
the evening/dark room, when overt brightness is not needed. Play around
with yours and see how you get on as you have a good set.
By the way, I've heard a couple of LCD's buzz too, whether that was for the same reasons I can't tell you.

A

Anonymous

Thanks drummerman I will try the settings later today - when I get home. I think I have decided I can't face getting another buzzing TV and think I am going to go LCD I have a panasonic LCD before his one and never any problems. I have been wondering if our house isn't helping it is a very old stone cottage with stone walls and wooden floors - which can't help. The temerature variations are significant cold most of the day and then really hot when we get the fires on - perhaps this isn't helping, it is definately something to do with the rear case on the left hand side if I put some pressure here it goes away to a more than acceptable level!!

So which LCD would you suggest since the plasma has got to go!

A

Anonymous

My Panasonic LCD buzzes so it seems to be a hit and miss whether you get a 'buzzer'?

I have had mine for just over a year and, at first, you could only hear the buzz if up really close to the TV and couldn't hear it at all when viewing from 7ft.
However, during quite scenes I can now hear it.

I have to admit that, at first, it really bugged me but I think was I was 'concentrating' on it and which made it worse. I try now to 'tune out' from it and don't notice it nearly as much.
Would be nice if it was silent though!

I am going to be getting a Panasonic Plasma so really hope it will be quiet.

A

Anonymous

Touching wood as I say this, but....my PX80 doesn't buzz at all. Had it about two weeks now, hanging on the wall and it looks and sounds great - especially since I put the picture through the THX optimiser as suggested in What Hifi? magazine. Its made a world of difference. I'm sure the new models will be great too, but I reckon I got a bargain and I'm very pleased with it. And no...I'm not on commission from Panasonic!! In fact, up to now I've been a great fan of Sony....!

A

Anonymous

There are two issues concerning buzzing. Plasma (and to some extent LCD) technologies 'create' a level of buzzing during normal operation. The frequency of the buzz will change dependant upon content on screen. These levels should however be low enough not to be noticeable during normal operation. If loud, the sets are faulty.

The second issue is what is known in the motor trade as Noise Vibration and Hardness (NVH). This is where due care and attention is not paid to wire dressing etc. and is a physical vibration against panels.

In the first cae, the buzz is fairly uniform across the panel and audible from the front. In the second case if you can eliminate it by pressing panels or isolate the source to a particular area, it is a manufacturing/assembly issue i.e. a faulty set!

Please always request a swap of sets/refund as soon as possible. Do not put up with shoddy gear or mither for longer than 7 days where youir purchase rights change.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Cooney - I have Panasonic shop guys coming to have a look on Monday. What you said makes perfect sense I am sure it is bad wire dressing. It is however intermittent when it warms up it starts to become noticeable (definately not a ventilation thing lots of space around) hope it buzzes when they come round!!

I am almost certainly going to get LCD replacement I can be doing with another TV. Will keep you all posted with the outcome!!

A

Anonymous

smudge i have someone coming to see my panasonic Tx-32LZC85 on thursday will keep you posted on whats done about it.

TRENDING THREADS