Panasonic 32LXD700 / SD Quality

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Im considering getting this set and wondered if someone could answer the following please:

Does the Picture in Picture mode allow Teletext as part of the mix? If so, is this analogue text or digital text or both?

As I will be upgrading from a 28" CRT and using a Sky+ box am I going to notice a significant reduction in the quality of Standard Definition channels?

Would a SKY HD box improve the quality of the SD channels as I understand that it upscales them?

Do any of the 32" Samsung models of similar specification (but generally cheaper) offer equivalent picture quality and features?

Thanks for your help.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi there,

Not sure on the Teletext question, i'm afraid.

On a set of this size/quality (it's got great upscaling itself), your Sky+ box should look fine - though you may notice some motion-smearing with the very fastest motion, as LCD response times aren't the best with a lower-quality picture/connection.

The Sky HD box will mostly offer an improvement as it'll allow you to hook up via the better-quality, HDMI connection. And yes, it upscales HD channels, though you might want to experiment with the upscaling on or off, as the TV's upscaling might beat that in the Sky box.

Finally, the Panasonic models are superior - at present -to the Samsung ones at the cheaper price points. It's a true performance premium, not just for the sake of it.

One last thing - you mention the 32LXD700, but there are newer models on their way - some already out. We've reviewed the 32LZD80 here, for example.

bf1

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Clare.

Based on price I presume the 700 brings other features not replicated on the new LZD80?

To throw a spanner in the works I saw today that the Panasonic TH37PX-80 is a Plasma and cheaper. I always thought that plasma`s were more expensive and better quality so I don`t understand why the LCD 700 and LZD80 is more expensive for a smaller screen?

I really thought that the buying of a new tv would be much more simpler than this!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bf1"]

I really thought that the buying of a new tv would be much more simpler than this!

[/quote]

Stick with us and we'll try and make it as painless as possible (but no, it's not simple!)

OK, the '700 range is Panasonic's current high-end series, offering superior sound and a few other bells and whistles over the other sets. It's soon to be replaced by the '800 series, which comes in above the '85 sets. Both of these models are Full HD across both LCD and plasma.

Then to confuse the issue you have '80 denomination sets that are in some models Full HD and in others HD Ready - the difference being shown the model name by a 'Z' for Full HD and 'X' for HD Ready.

That's why the new TX32LZD80 is pricier than the old TX32LXD700 - it's got a higher resolution (and is also better equipped to handle Blu-ray by having smoother 24fps processing). That doesn't, of course, mean it's better for you - the '700, for example, still sounds better.

Anyhow, going back to plasmas - again, the PX80 plasma is HD Ready (but has superior 24fps handling than last years' model, and is more than ready and willing for HD TV and Blu-ray).

If you can fit the 37in set in, i'd be inclined to give the plasma a good look - many people prefer plasmas for their better handling of fast motion, blacks and contrast.

Hope this helps - any other questions, just let us know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts