New Panasonic tv advice please

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi There..1st post..so please be gentle.

Ive always had Panasonic Plasma Televisions..to me they were the best..yet I'm no expert. I've currently got a Panny txp42 gt30b....I'm looking at a Panny tx50 cx802b..basically I'm looking for advice from you guys.

the vast majority of my Tv watching is through a Sky HD box..I dare say I may use Netflix and Amazon for 4k ..and hopefully Sky too.

How do the two TVs compare ..my current one has a picture that I would still des I e as excellent....even on non hd channels on Sky....would the tx 50 deliver even more stunning picture quality? Is there any area it's let down by?

I see What hi FI has given it a great rating...and its on offer at around £1400.my reckoning is Id get around £400 for my current set...so it seems a sensible move...or perhaps there's another set you may recommend? If so...why?

all advice appreciated...cheers

It depends on whether you're a video purist or not. Some people have been underwhelmed after moving from plasma to LCD; and there are people who couldn't be happier. That Panasonic is a good TV and most people will be happy with it.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers big boss for taking time to reply.

do you think the 50 inch will handle sport and fast movie scenes .

i wouldn't want to spend money to find that I have a worse telly...yet I guess that the 50 inch is 4 years technically more advanced than the 42inch.

im not a purist at all....my current Panny seems great to me but I'd like to keep up to date ....having always had a Panny ...I'd struggle to go for an LG although I like the looks of the Samsungs.

do you have any recommendations?

When I attended a TV shootout last year, I thought Samsung was better than Panasonic LCD , especially with motion. But Panasonic was good as well.

Check my post here (scroll down a bit):

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/ultimate-shoot-out?page=3

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:
Cheers big boss for taking time to reply.

do you think the 50 inch will handle sport and fast movie scenes .

i wouldn't want to spend money to find that I have a worse telly...yet I guess that the 50 inch is 4 years technically more advanced than the 42inch.

im not a purist at all....my current Panny seems great to me but I'd like to keep up to date ....having always had a Panny ...I'd struggle to go for an LG although I like the looks of the Samsungs.

do you have any recommendations?

I went over to LED/LCD from plasma a few years ago after having a Panasonic GT30 and didn't feel like I was making a step backwards but it must be said that the two technologies produce very different pictures. The current crop of LCD tvs still struggle to get black level detail and depth that plasma can achieve for example so I would recommend a thorough test before you buy and to not limit yourself to Panasonic.

Before it developed a fault just over 2 years into it's life my previous Samsung was one of the best LCD/LED tvs I had seen but still fell short of Panasonic plasma levels of greatness but for me I was delighted as my plasmas suffered from image retention so I felt the compromise was worth it. Get out there and have a look at some of the tvs out there before you make your mind up as I still know plenty of people who wouldn't change their plasma tv.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm contemplating getting the Panasonic TX50CX680B, which, judging by the user reviews looks like a great tv. User reviews don't usually mean much though, so I'm hanging on for atleast one professional review before I make a decision, but I think you should add it to your list of possible candidates, as it's a fair bit cheaper than the 802.

By the way, I think you'd be very lucky to get £400 for your 42" gt30, as I'm only expecting that kind of money for my GT50 when it goes. I may be wrong, and I'd be happy to proven so.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm contemplating getting the Panasonic TX50CX680B, which, judging by the user reviews looks like a great tv. User reviews don't usually mean much though, so I'm hanging on for atleast one professional review before I make a decision, but I think you should add it to your list of possible candidates, as it's a fair bit cheaper than the 802.

By the way, I think you'd be very lucky to get £400 for your 42" gt30, as I'm only expecting that kind of money for my GT50 when it goes. I may be wrong, and I'd be happy to proven so.
AVForums have reviewed it this week BBB.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

id keep your GT 50, you'll miss those plasma black levels..

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-50cx680b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-review.11857

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Series1boy said:
id keep your GT 50, you'll miss those plasma black levels..

It's got a fault that needs a repair/new screen, and I doubt JL can or will repair or replace the screen, so I've been looking at my best options should a replacement tv be needed.

I will miss the picture quality, but | won't miss the worry of image retention, and that magenta tint on black & white films.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-50cx680b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-review.11857

Thanks gel. A good review too. I'm hoping for a HDTV review before I have to make a decision, but it's the favourite at the moment.

richcam

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Cheers BBB,

the plan is to sell my Panny to the Mother in law for £250 now....and take her Panny ( my old TV) and trade in to JL for £300.... There by getting £550 off my tv choice ....this now means the possibility of getting a TV up to almost £2k...

question is .....which one? ....Panasonic...Samsung...or. The 55 inch Lg Oled now would be £1300 for me....hmmm?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
richcam said:
Cheers BBB,

the plan is to sell my Panny to the Mother in law for £250 now....and take her Panny ( my old TV) and trade in to JL for £300.... There by getting £550 off my tv choice ....this now means the possibility of getting a TV up to almost £2k...

question is .....which one? ....Panasonic...Samsung...or. The 55 inch Lg Oled now would be £1300 for me....hmmm?

OLED all day over anything else! It's that simple a decision I can assure you as I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm sure if he sees this thread gel would agree ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
richcam said:
Cheers BBB,

OLED all day over anything else! It's that simple a decision I can assure you as I couldn't be happier with mine and I'm sure if he sees this thread gel would agree ;-)
Yep, definitely.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
It would have to be a new 4K OLED with HDR.
Just been trying to find a curved 65-inch one with HDR and LG but can't find it?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Nope, OLED delivers the best full HD pictures to date!

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-55eg960v-eg9600-oled-uhd-4k-review.11301

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Nope, OLED delivers the best full HD pictures to date!

I was just saying if I was in the market, it would have to be a 4K OLED with HDR? What do you mean "Nope"?
I thought you were saying something different doesn't matter. I was just saying OLED produces the best 2D pictures and well as 4K and HDR.

OLED beats plasma in every area except motion handling:

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-ea980-55ea980-curved-1080p-oled-tv-review.9969

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts