Panasonic 2008 Plasmas - The mother of all questions...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

As you may be aware, Panasonic have released some of their 2008 Plasma sets. Despite reading all the press releases I could find and lots of other forums, I have still not been able to find out whether or not the 2008 range naticely supports 24p at 24,48 and 96hz. If someone from the WHF team can confirm with Panasonic with a definitive answer I can assure you that you will make ALOT of people happy (depending on the answer, of course).

I know that you had great fun with the PX/PZ70 24p but hopefully if you can get an answer early on from Panasonic then this will save all the bother we had the last time. Thanks!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Have just checked the launch specs, and it clearly says 24fps scanning for all the new plasmas.

And for the person who asked about component video inputs, yes they've all got those, too.

A

Anonymous

Hi Claire,

Thanks for that. Yes, see that it does say 24p support, but as you well know, this doesn't neccessarily mean that it will display at the correct refresh rate. There is no mention anywhere in any of the manuals or in any press releases that it says this. Is it possible to have confirmation from Panasonic themselves that it does in fact support 24p refresh rates of 24Hz, 48Hz and/or 96Hz? As I said before, you will make a lot of people happy if we can get an official answer. Thanks a lot!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think the 800 models are different. Anyhow, i've contacted Panasonic for a definitive answer and will let you know as soon as I get it. Getting our hands on one of the sets any day, too...

A

Anonymous

I can't wait! I wonder why Panasonic have details of the 80 and 85 models but not the 800s on their US website...

The thing is, from a stylistic point of view, I much prefer the 2007 Panny tvs, which are all really stylish while being brilliantly functional. In fact, the brief peeks I've had of many of 2008's new ranges from various manufacturers have dissapointed me. It seems that 2007 was a high point for, er... telly design.

A

Anonymous

BenjaminHart, a couple of things.

Firstly - The UK spec is different from the US spec. For example, Most of the US sets do not have a VGA port but come with 2 component inputs. Also, the PZ80 panel has a 20,000:1 contrast ratio whereas all UK PZ models have a 30,000:1 contrast ratio.

Secondly - The US models do not support "NATIVE" 24p playback. This is evident with the 2:3 pulldown statement. This means that the 24p refresh rate is being converted from 24, 48, or 96Hz to 60Hz. This undoubtebly will cause some juddering and effectively means that the 24p support is pointless, because it is converting back to 60Hz. I hope I explained that well enough. Thanks

A

Anonymous

Clare - Thanks alot for asking asking Panasonic. Hopefully they will come back with an accurate answer. Thank you!

A

Anonymous

Viper matey, couple of things.

1) I know that these are the US specs. I made this clear in my post, and I would expect that people would already know that these specs may be different with the UK versions of the tvs. I only posted the details of the US models just to speculate about what the UK specs might be.

2) I KNOW THAT THE US MODELS THAT I LISTED DO NOT DO NATIVE 24FPS!!! This is why I delibrately mentioned the fact that it said on the website - "24p playback (2:3)" - I know what this means. If you had properly read my post then it would have been clear to you that the main point of my post was exactly that, the fact that from what it says on the US website, it would appear that the US 2008 models do not do 'native' 24fps. This was exactly my point.

One more thing...

[quote user="ViperGRM"]I hope I explained that well enough. Thanks[/quote]

If you are worried that readers may not understand your post then, well, don't judge other people by your own standards. Just because you don't take the time to properly read and understand other people's posts, does not mean that people won't understand yours.

A

Anonymous

You're right I didn't read your post properly. my mistake
emotion-5.gif

When I said, "I hope I explained that well enough" I meant that I hope it makes sense. Nothing else.

All I want to know is if the UK versions natively support 24p playback. Apologies for mis-reading your post (or not reading the whole thing more like).

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Still nothing from Panasonic? They are taking their time aren't they
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

It doesn't say on the spec page, but if you do a 'product comparison' you will get the following:

24p Cinematic Playback
No
No

24p Playback(2:3)
Yes
Yes
This is in reference to the PZ80 and PZ85 sets, and I think that's a definite no.

I am more than slightly miffed at Panasonic for this, because not only does this make the spec page HIGHLY misleading, but they also had me waiting for the new model for this exact reason until I stumbled onto that tidbit by accident.

I'll still probably wait for it since it's due out soon, but I could have got the PZ70 that I had my eye on quite a while ago.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys I cannot believe after all the fuss with the PZ70 and the fact i (and many others) have waited for this new product that is does not play 24fps without 2:3 pulldown.

I just cannot understand why this is not available, i was told by my Panasonic shop that the lower model (85?) would not allow it but all the others would.

I'm assuming Panasonic will 'right' this later in the year with a new more expensive set!!

A missed opportunity and yet another money scam from a leading company

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's more complicated than that - i've got the official Panasonic specs now.

All the '800 series sets (42 and 50in PZ800 plasmas and 37in LZD800 LCD) support what Panasonic calls 24fps "real cinema" (ie native 24fps).

In addition, the '85 series plasmas - TH-46PZ85 and TH-42PZ85 - also support 24fps real cinema, but NOT the '85 series LCD sets.

All the other models support 24fps playback, but via pulldown.

A

Anonymous

what site did you get this info from?? if it is the u.s site, its been discussed quite a few times on the forum that the american specs are different to the uk ones.

im pretty much in the same boat as holy smoke i was going to get the th42pz70 but decided to wait for the new 08 models to get native 24fps playback.

clare has just said in her post that the th42pz85 will play native 24fps (i take it this isnt using a 3:2 pulldown?) so im pretty happy to spend a little more than i was going to pay for the pz70 and go for the pz85, the killer question now is when it is actually going to come out!?

A

Anonymous

I think HolySmoke is confusing matters by discussing the specs for US models. We all know that it is 2:3 for US models Z85 and below.

And Clare, what we really want to know is the precise pull down mechanism for the UK models (2:2,3:3:2:3;4:4 or whatever). Restating the stuff in the 1st March PR is no help at all, especially when you are now confusing the meaning of Real Cinema! Can we get a clear answer to vipergm's question as right now this thread is going backwards.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="antonyelliot"]
what site did you get this info from?? if it is the u.s site, its been discussed quite a few times on the forum that the american specs are different to the uk ones.

im pretty much in the same boat as holy smoke i was going to get the th42pz70 but decided to wait for the new 08 models to get native 24fps playback.

clare has just said in her post that the th42pz85 will play native 24fps (i take it this isnt using a 3:2 pulldown?) so im pretty happy to spend a little more than i was going to pay for the pz70 and go for the pz85, the killer question now is when it is actually going to come out!?

[/quote]

My specs are definitely UK ones, direct from Panasonic.

And according to the UK release timeline, also provided by Pana, the '85 models are all set for release in March/April/May (they won't be more specific than that. Sorry!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare

Panasonic certainly DONT know how to keep things simple

Looks like a PZ85 Plasma for me when i know the cost

Any news??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thornton"]
I think HolySmoke is confusing matters by discussing the specs for US models. We all know that it is 2:3 for US models Z85 and below.

And Clare, what we really want to know is the precise pull down mechanism for the UK models (2:2,3:3:2:3;4:4 or whatever). Restating the stuff in the 1st March PR is no help at all, especially when you are now confusing the meaning of Real Cinema! Can we get a clear answer to vipergm's question as right now this thread is going backwards.

[/quote]

Well excuse me for trying to be helpful!!

I'll go back to Panasonic AGAIN.....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here it is from Panasonic - are you ready:

ALL the 2008 sets (bar the entry-level 50hz LCDs, which use 2:2) use 4:4 pulldown for 24fps.

In addition, those 85/800 sets mentioned above (ie all 800 sets plus 85 series plasmas) use Intelligent Frame Creation, which interlaces new frames (ie isn't just a repeat on a 4:4 pulldown) with the aim of creating an even smoother picture. This IFC can be switched on or off as you prefer.

I'm also forwarding this thread to Panasonic so they can see all your feedback - and join in should they wish!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

ALL the 2008 sets (bar the entry-level 50hz LCDs, which use 2:2) use 4:4 pulldown for 24fps.

In addition, those 85/800 sets mentioned above (ie all 800 sets plus 85 series plasmas) use Intelligent Frame Creation, which interlaces new frames (ie isn't just a repeat on a 4:4 pulldown) with the aim of creating an even smoother picture. This IFC can be switched on or off as you prefer.

I'm also forwarding this thread to Panasonic so they can see all your feedback - and join in should they wish!
[/quote]

That is very helpful indeed Clare. I hope you will forgive my earlier bluntness - Panasonic's failure to make this crystal clear at the beginning of this month has caused massive frustration and we look to people like you to see through their fog - thanks again for doing so.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

[/quote]

That is nothing short of awesome, and was amazingly helpful on your part. Sorry about the US model confusion on my part; I didn't expect that there would be different firmware between the US and Euro versions and jumped the gun.

:kiss:

Edit: To clarify, 4:4 pulldown means it will be able to run at 96hz and so display at 24fps, correct? It's a bit of an odd frequency, so I thought I'd ask.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts