Sony 75X9405C

itsallaboutfibre

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Can anyone clear up conflicting information I've received regarding the Sony 75X9405c which I was just about to purchase but have put on hold until I get some clarification. I have contacted Sony Support directly and Product Manager at my local Sony Centre. Both of whom have given me differing information. My query is regarding the latest firmware update Sony have released for the X94c relating to HDR compatibility and whether the update includes enabling HDMI 2.0a to its existing 4 HDMI 2.0 ports and 4k@60fps 4:4:4 Chroma. With upcoming Ultra HD Bluray Player's release early next year together with HDR I need to be convinced as to invest a substantial amount on a TV only to find out in a few months it isn't compatible with the new and latest standards is just crazy. I have also read online conflicting reports regarding said firmware update some say it does enable HDMI 2.0a and others saying the update only enables HDR for streaming 4k online content supplied by Netflix and Amazon. All very confusing and unclear. Please can you guys and girls give me the Definitive answer to this ongoing conundrum.

Many thanks

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
It's a great television as it stands, but I'd be surprised if anyone on the forums could reconcile two conflicting Sony sources. If you don't need a new television now, you could consider waiting until after CES.

itsallaboutfibre

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for replying SJ.. it is very frustrating trying to pin down a definitive answer on this and with little to no help or advice going forward i feel left in limbo so to speak.

itsallaboutfibre

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Thank you bigboss for your reply...makes sense I guess to hang fire on this. Although one would've thought huge companies like Sony etc would have insider knowledge of industry HDR standards...

itsallaboutfibre

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Spoke to Sony again today, engaged in dialogue with a helpful gentleman whom informed me, Sony are releasing a firmware update for the X94c on 24th December which will enable the Tv with HDMI 2.0a capability for Ultra HD Bluray HDR, he was unsure about 4k@60fps 4:4:4 Chroma. The Firmware will also enable USB HDD Recording...

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
itsallaboutfibre said:
Thank you bigboss for your reply...makes sense I guess to hang fire on this. Although one would've thought huge companies like Sony etc would have insider knowledge of industry HDR standards...

all the sony models that received HDR firmware update also got hdmi 2.0a. which means 4k blu ray HDR! although the 9405 i believe only sony model this year to have a 10 bit panel.

itsallaboutfibre

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
itsallaboutfibre said:

all the sony models that received HDR firmware update also got hdmi 2.0a. which means 4k blu ray HDR! although the 9405 i believe only sony model this year to have a 10 bit panel.
No HDMI 2.0a firmware till next year...Sony area manager said they are waiting till after CES when HDR Standards will be announced together with Ultra HD Bluray Player's release....

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello itsallaboutfibre, well, looks like more waiting in in order. Although, if you could definitely find out from Sony whether or not the firmware upgrade of the 75X9405C will bring it fully up to ALL the new HDR standards, I suppose you could safely buy it now (assuming of course that the upgrades DO bring up to the latest HDR standards).

How many reviews of the set have you seen? Everyone likes it, but not everyone likes those very big speakers ... But then again, not everyone wants to have a surroud-sound system, and the speakers on the 75X9404C are said to be very, very good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts