Will speakers improve a cheap system

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
My father bought a Panasonic Sc-akx18 (I don't expect anyone here will even have seen one) a few months back. It is a very cheap and cheerful product that plays cds, has a radio and also has bluetooth. It has not the best sound quality ever but it's functionality is brilliant.

He has been listening to spotify lately on a JBL flip3 (excellent little speaker) and then down in my house on my setup and wont even really bother with his Panasonic anymore. I suggested that I can give him a Pioneer A400 and a chromecast and while he is retired and the whole idea of this setup doesn't phase him, he'd like his own setup to sound better. The speakers are very muzzy/bassy cheap sounding

Do you think that if he bought something like a set of Q Acoustics 2010i speakers that it would improve hat he has, or would its internal amp be unable to drive these? I have q acoustics 2020i but had to do a DIY job on its wall brackets so it's a biy of an effort to remove them to try out. My other speakers are out of action for the moment, so I have nothing to even try just to see.

I know it's likely no one will have a definitive answer on particular cheap all in ones with these speakers, but has anyone added relatively good speakers to a cheap sounding setup and it was worthwhile? Thanks

insider9

muljao said:
My father bought a Panasonic Sc-akx18 (I don't expect anyone here will even have seen one) a few months back. It is a very cheap and cheerful product that plays cds, has a radio and also has bluetooth. It has not the best sound quality ever but it's functionality is brilliant.

He has been listening to spotify lately on a JBL flip3 (excellent little speaker) and then down in my house on my setup and wont even really bother with his Panasonic anymore. I suggested that I can give him a Pioneer A400 and a chromecast and while he is retired and the whole idea of this setup doesn't phase him, he'd like his own setup to sound better. The speakers are very muzzy/bassy cheap sounding

Do you think that if he bought something like a set of Q Acoustics 2010i speakers that it would improve hat he has, or would its internal amp be unable to drive these? I have q acoustics 2020i but had to do a DIY job on its wall brackets so it's a biy of an effort to remove them to try out. My other speakers are out of action for the moment, so I have nothing to even try just to see.

I know it's likely no one will have a definitive answer on particular cheap all in ones with these speakers, but has anyone added relatively good speakers to a cheap sounding setup and it was worthwhile? Thanks

In theory yes it would improve sound quality. The problem is the amp is rather poor and specs are unclear from reading Panasonic website. Either way the amp would be the limiting factor.

The idea of your Pioneer + Chromecast combo is much better in my opinion. If it was me I'd be taking that route selling the Panasonic and reinvesting money in some speakers.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Ended up donating the Pioneer A400 and a Micromega stage 2, he bought a cheap tuner and chromecast I had thrown in the mix. To finish he got the q acoustics 2010i. He now has one great little system for small money and the amp/cd player is getting use. A win win

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Space was a big consideration so the 3020s were out. I have the 2020i already and know they are good, the 2010 are similar except smaller.I was confident with the buy. There's always something better but at 100 euro these more than fit the bill

matthewpiano

From cheap Panasonic system to a system based around one of the best amps ever made, all with relatively little outlay. Sounds like a massive win to me, and always best when talented kit is being used instead of gathering dust.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
From cheap Panasonic system to a system based around one of the best amps ever made, all with relatively little outlay. Sounds like a massive win to me, and always best when talented kit is being used instead of gathering dust.

He is thrilled with it all. I am surprised that 100 euro speakers sound so good

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Love the Micromega. I had a Stage 4 and always regret selling. Had a wonderful appearance and rounded organic, analogue sound that was always engaging.

gasolin

muljao said:
Space was a big consideration so the 3020s were out. I have the 2020i already and know they are good, the 2010 are similar except smaller.I was confident with the buy. There's always something better but at 100 euro these more than fit the bill

3020 are smaller than the 2020i's

2020i 265 x 278 x 170 mm

3020 260 x 226 x 170 mm

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
matthewpiano said:

A few years ago I put my 2020i's on to the end of my (then) main system. An Audio Research Ref 5SE with Bryston 28BSST2 monoblock amplification. I forget what the source was. Anyway the sound that emanated from those little graphite boxes was simply sublime. I think Davedotco summed it up at the time by pointing out that speakers like that never get reviewed or used with high end kit so don't get just reward or praise for just how good they really are.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
gasolin said:
muljao said:

3020 are smaller than the 2020i's

2020i 265 x 278 x 170 mm

3020 260 x 226 x 170 mm

I know all the sizes as I looked before purchase, but even the 3020 were bigger than required, plus they were not 100 euros. Believe me, for the requirement the 2010i are pretty much perfect

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
muljao said:
matthewpiano said:

A few years ago I put my 2020i's on to the end of my (then) main system. An Audio Research Ref 5SE with Bryston 28BSST2 monoblock amplification. I forget what the source was. Anyway the sound that emanated from those little graphite boxes was simply sublime. I think Davedotco summed it up at the time by pointing out that speakers like that never get reviewed or used with high end kit so don't get just reward or praise for just how good they really are.

I bought them and mounted them up high on brackets originally on my second system. My cambridge audio sx50 gave trouble (I actually originally thought that these were better and had them on my main system). Now that I am waiting to get the CA repaired/replaced I temporarily put the 2020i on stands in my main system. They are not going back, they are absolutely better than any other speakers I have had in every way

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts