Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

I'm looking for an amp to power a pair of 3020s. My price range is around £200. Thought about something around the lines of Pioneer 20K or Denon PMA 520 or Harman Kardon HK 980. Are there better units in this price range? Or perhaps I should go for a used one?

Thanks

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I would go used, try and find something a little off the beaten path and good value, research. Great speakers though I heard them a Bristol show mighty impressive.

matthewpiano

If buying new I'd suggest the Denon PMA-720AE or Onkyo A-9030, both around 170.00 if you look in the right places. The Cambridge Audio 351A is also worth a look.

On the used market there is a wider choice. An Arcam A65+ would be a good buy or even an Alpha 8R. If you are patient you might even be able to secure a Rega Brio 3 within your budget and that was also a fine amp in its time.

matthewpiano

The Arcams will be more refined and composed sounding than the Denon with greater subtlety and sound staging depth. All 3 are capable amps but the A65+ is the newest and was part of the DiVA range that replaced the Alpha range. The A65+ was eventually replaced by the FMJ A18 and then the FMJ A19.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts