Confused about pairing Klipsch RP 600M with Denon PMA 60 amplifier

Dscience

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
My first post, as I am new to the hi-fi stereo game.

I recently purchased some Klipsch RP 600M bookshelf speakers, and have a high-powered amp on the way. However, being the impatient, and aspiring-audiophile that I am, I couldn't wait to listen to the speakers. Thus, I purchased a used Denon PMA 60 stereo amplifier to use in the interim.

However, I am very confused about pairing speakers with amps, because 1.) my friend INSISTS that it is very bad to pair speakers with a low wattage amp, 2.) I called Klipsch and asked them and they confirmed that long-term you want an amp that matches the peak wattage of the speakers. But 3.) People all over the internet seem to use low-wattage amps all the time to power speakers.

Thus, I want to know more about this topic. Here are the specs for both units:

Klipsch RP 600M:
Sensitivity : 96dB @ 2.83V/1m
100W/400W (cont/peak)
8 Ohms impedance

Denon PMA 60:
Output power 8 Ohm (20 Hz - 20 kHz, T.H.D. 0.07%)25W (1kHz)
Output power 4 Ohm (1 kHz, T.H.D. 0.7%)50 W

I received the amp and speakers yesterday, and currently the PMA 60 is connected via USB to my desktop PC, and listening to digital sources it sounds incredible.

The volume knob on the PMA 60 is how I control the volume, keeping Amazon Music (etc) at about 75%, the Denon PMA 60 drives the speakers more than I can handle, and it's not even 3/4 all the way up. Even 1/4 is good listening volume.

Now, is my friend correct? Is this bad for the speakers? If so why?

Or is my friend ignorant on this subject?

Please school me on this subject, the student is ready!

If listening levels are not high, you should be absolutely fine. Distortion would indicate bad things, which you don't mention. Your speakers are sensitive and not a heavy load (at least in headline terms), so the high power suggested is probably only relevant if you are making an awful lot of noise. Try that with a low-powered amp and you might just damage your speakers' voice coils.

Dscience

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
If listening levels are not high, you should be absolutely fine. Distortion would indicate bad things, which you don't mention. Your speakers are sensitive and not a heavy load (at least in headline terms), so the high power suggested is probably only relevant if you are making an awful lot of noise. Try that with a low-powered amp and you might just damage your speakers' voice coils.

Thank you for the reply. I live in a small one-bedroom apartment and thus the comfortable listening volumes I measured at 65 dB max sitting 8 feet away from speakers, using my apple watch.

When you say "making a lot of noise" does this mean blasting the speakers at full volume, like a house party? If that's they case, I don't ever do this.

Now, if this is okay to use, should I keep this and cancel my order for the hi fi amp? The amp in question is the Parasound HALO 2.1 stereo integrated amplifier.

My main reason for getting it, is I want a more audiophile experience. Because I am using wimpy volumes anyway, will this make a difference?

At least you’ll be able to find out for yourself and report back. You don’t need more watts, based on your stated requirements, but you might appreciate the higher performance.
he might also appreciate the facilities this amp offers being a Swiss Army Knife of a 2.1 channel integrated especially if he can get it for a good price.
You are quite right in the fact he will not need more watts to adequately drive those speakers.

Reactions: nopiano

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I have used a 5 watt headphone amp to drive my klipsch heresy 3 for the life of me I don’t know why klipsch would tell you that, seeing they’re in the high efficiency game.

In my experience of klipsch feed them to much power and they can harden up a lot and they become very difficult to control volume wise.

D

Deleted member 160668

At the risk of sounding like a broken record as I've posted pretty much the same comment before to a similar thread.

My amp is a Sugden A21 Signature, rated at 23W. It goes easily loud enough to become uncomfortably loud on the end of my 90db efficient speakers in my room.

You do not need anywhere near as many watts as you think you do.

Now stop worrying about it, go stick on a tune and enjoy your speakers. You are not going to do them any damage 😉. Enjoy!

PS- buy the Parasound anyway. It's fun to try new stuff and as you say, if you buy second hand you can flip and try stuff out in your room, then move it on for little or no loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 160668

PPS - there is no such thing as 'wimpy volume'. Music does not have to be loud to be amazing!!

I do not listen to music very loud either.

However, if you can build a system that sends a chill up your spine, can raise a tear to your eye, or make you vault out of your seat and dance. You've done it.

Enjoy your new kit! All the best.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 160668

Apologies if this is obvious and you've already done this, but bookshelf speakers need to be on stands to get best the best performance from them. The sound quality will jump significantly if you do this.

It is not clear from your post how you have them set up - possibly a desk based setup? If so, look for something like Auralex Mopads or IsoAcoustic Iso stands to put under them.

Reactions: nopiano

Dscience

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
Wow, thank you all so much for the feedback and supportive comments. This seems like a really inviting and helpful forum.

I feel more comfortable using this setup until the Parasound amp arrives. I am new to the game, so I am not sure if it was a good deal. I got it for $1200 from original owner, says it's "near mint, 9/10".

I'm super excited, as I only want the spine melt! :)

he might also appreciate the facilities this amp offers being a Swiss Army Knife of a 2.1 channel integrated especially if he can get it for a good price.
You are quite right in the fact he will not need more watts to adequately drive those speakers.

Thank you! I also did get the Parasound because I don't want to keep using another DAC, and just have one device for my music.

I have used a 5 watt headphone amp to drive my klipsch heresy 3 for the life of me I don’t know why klipsch would tell you that, seeing they’re in the high efficiency game.

In my experience of klipsch feed them to much power and they can harden up a lot and they become very difficult to control volume wise.

LOL bro, I called Klipsch yesterday morning, and talked to a guy on the phone. This is what led me to this forum. The Klipsch representative didn't know what he was talking about. First off, he didn't even know they just released the 600M II speakers. And when I asked him if there was a marked improvement over the current 600M, he recommended me try the Klipsch "The Fives" LOL, until I reminded him those were powered speakers. :)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record as I've posted pretty much the same comment before to a similar thread.

My amp is a Sugden A21 Signature, rated at 23W. It goes easily loud enough to become uncomfortably loud on the end of my 90db efficient speakers in my room.

You do not need anywhere near as many watts as you think you do.

Now stop worrying about it, go stick on a tune and enjoy your speakers. You are not going to do them any damage 😉. Enjoy!

PS- buy the Parasound anyway. It's fun to try new stuff and as you say, if you buy second hand you can flip and try stuff out in your room, then move it on for little or no loss.

Thank you! Can you explain, in technical terms, why this is not bad for speakers?

PPS - there is no such thing as 'wimpy volume'. Music does not have to be loud to be amazing!!

I do not listen to music very loud either.

However, if you can build a system that sends a chill up your spine, can raise a tear to your eye, or make you vault out of your seat and dance. You've done it.

Enjoy your new kit! All the best.

Thank you so much! Yes that is my goal, is to come home everyday and melt the spine! :)

Dscience

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site
Apologies if this is obvious and you've already done this, but bookshelf speakers need to be on stands to get best the best performance from them. The sound quality will jump significantly if you do this.

It is not clear from your post how you have them set up - possibly a desk based setup? If so, look for something like Auralex Mopads or IsoAcoustic Iso stands to put under them.

Thanks! I do have stands already, so that is solved! I can post a pic of my set up, once the Parasound comes. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts