Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
There is a lot of music that I will listen to if there is time (here is the complete list):

Classics
1. Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)
2. Kashmir (Led Zep - Physical Graffiti)
3. Carpet Crawlers (Genisis)
4. You Win, I Lose (Supertramp - Some things never change)
5. Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - Best of)
6. The Great Gig in the Sky/Money (P.Floyd DSOTM)
7. The Chain (Fleetwood Mac Tusk)/Everywhere/Chain
8. Up where we belong (Joe Cocker - The essential collection)
9. The Royal Scam (Steely Dan - The Royal Scam)

Jazz
1. Ernie's Tune (Dexter Gorden - Ballads)
2. Take Five (Dave Brubeck - Time Out)
3. Jacques Loussier

Blues
1. Love Blues (Keb Mo)
2. Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain)

R & B
1. J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall (Woke up Dreaming & Sloe Gin Tracks 6 and 10)....or Live from nowhere in Particular.
+ High water everywhere

Acoustic
1. Tamacun (Rodrigo y Gabriela)
2. Schubert Piano Sonata No.17 (Paul Lewis)
3. Tears in Heaven (E. Clapton Unplugged)
4. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist)

Opera
1. Non Piu Andrai (Marriage of Fig - Best of Mozart Operas)
2. La Boheme Che Gelida Manina (Puccini Areas - Jose Cura)
3. Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor)
4. Pavarotti (Verdi Arias Tr1)
5. Rossini Heroins (Cecelia Bartoli Tr 8 )

Concerto
1. Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro)
2. B'hoven Triple Concerto (Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, Barenboin)
3. Brahms Clarinet Quintet (Linn Fitzwilliam String Quartet Tr.1)
4. Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 )
5. Bach Keyboard Concerto No.1 in D Minor (Perahia Tr.1)
6. Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major)

Choral
1. O Fortuna (Carmena Burana)
2. Bach Mathew Passion (Linn 24 Bit Track 1)
3. Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25)
4. Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum)

Orchestral
1. 1812 (Blade Demo Track 1)

Female Artist
1. Adele - Daydreamer (19) + Set Fire to the Rain (21)
2. Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse)
3. Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black)
4. Track 3 (Blade Demo)
5. Come away with me (Norah Jones)
6. Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird)
7. The word around Town (Rebecca Pidgeon - Women of Song [Chesky]
8. A case of you (Diana Krall - Live in Paris)

Male Artist
1. Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)
2. Blade Demo (Track 8 )
3. Sorry seems to be the hardest word (R.Charles - Genius Loves Co)
4. Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland)
5. They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice)
6. Bad Things (Jace Everett - My Country)
7. Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)
8. Georgia on my Mind (W. Nelson)
9. Hallelujah (The Essential Leonard Cohen)
10 I'm Yours (J. Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things)
11. Acoustic Live (Nils Lofgren)

Electronic
1.Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)
2. Essential Yello (Drive / The Rhythm Devine}
3. Plastic Beach (Gorillaz - Plastic Beach)
4. Into (The XX - XX)
5. South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black)

Mrs. Cno
1. Achy Breaky heart (B.R.Cyrus)
2. Clementine (Westlife - Allow us to be Frank)
3. Words (Boyzone - Back again, No Matter What Greatest Hits)
4. Flying without wings (Westlife - Westlife)
5. Spanish Train (Chris de Burg - The collection)
6. When I need you (D Osmund - Love songs of the 70s)
7. More like the movies (Dr Hook - Love Songs)
8. From a distance/Wind beneath my wings (Bette Midler - Experience the Devine - Greatest Hits)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My Playlist is going to look a bit like this (though it probably still needs shortened):

Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)

Money (Pink Floyd)

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac)

Take Five (Dave Brubeck)

Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain)

High water everywhere (J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall )

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist)

Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor)

Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro)

Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 )

Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major)

O Fortuna (Carmena Burana)

Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25)

Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum)

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele)

Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse)

Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black)

Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird)

Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland)

They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice)

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)

Essential Yello (The Rhythm Divine)

South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black)

A good selection, I can see why you have picked most of those. I would add is another jazz track, yes I know you have Take 5 but I don't feel that tests the high-hat cymbals which on some systems I find very irritating. Most trios will do, maybe Brad Mehdlau - Madrid, also Bill Evans - My Foolish Heart (live - Waltz for Debby) has some brush work.

A lot is personal taste but I may have.

Female vocals: Melody Gardot, Lucy Ward, The Wailin' Jenny's, Natalie Merchant, Eva Cassidy, Gillian Welch and Susan McKeown. Dead Can Dance - Wind that shakes barley (Into the Labyrinth).

Male vocals: Ray LaMontange, Damien Rice, Van Morrison, Johhny Cash and Bob Dylan.

Rock/Pop: Little Feat, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance and Talk Talk.

Jazz: Art Pepper, Ben Webster, Cannonball Adderley, Shelley Manne, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Brad Mehdlau and Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

Celtic: Altan and Capercaillie.

World: Mari Boine and Anouar Brahem.

Classical ( I don't listen to a great deal): Bizert - Carmen, Bach cello suites - Yo Yo Ma and Mozart Piano Sonatas - Maria João Pires.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
BigH said:
A good selection, I can see why you have picked most of those. I would add is another jazz track, yes I know you have Take 5 but I don't feel that tests the high-hat cymbals which on some systems I find very irritating. Most trios will do, maybe Brad Mehdlau - Madrid, also Bill Evans - My Foolish Heart (live - Waltz for Debby) has some brush work.

Female vocals: Melody Gardot, Lucy Ward, The Wailin' Jenny's, Natalie Merchant, Eva Cassidy, Gillian Welch and Susan McKeown. Dead Can Dance - Wind that shakes barley (Into the Labyrinth).

Male vocals: Ray LaMontange, Damien Rice, Van Morrison, Johhny Cash and Bob Dylan.

Jazz: Art Pepper, Ben Webster, Cannonball Adderley, Shelley Manne, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Brad Mehdlau and Gonzalo Rubalcaba.

Classical ( I don't listen to a great deal): Bizert - Carmen, Bach cello suites - Yo Yo Ma and Mozart Piano Sonatas - Maria João Pires.

That is also a nice selection.

I very nearly had Ray laMontagne, as I've 2 of his albums.

Try Bach Prelude No.1 in C Major (Well empered Clavier Book 1)

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Been going through your demo list Cno and listening via Spotify and DAC, without fail, everything I heard sounded very impressive through my anniversaries, can't imagine how the 40.2 will sound, with a better source and the bigger speaker, not to mention the quality of Class A too.

Mac

Did you discover anything new that you liked?

If you haven't heard Jacques Loussier plays Bach....give it a go. Fantastic and beautifully recorded.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Been going through your demo list Cno and listening via Spotify and DAC, without fail, everything I heard sounded very impressive through my anniversaries, can't imagine how the 40.2 will sound, with a better source and the bigger speaker, not to mention the quality of Class A too.

Mac

If you haven't heard Jacques Loussier plays Bach....give it a go. Fantastic and beautifully recorded.

D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5D1li3tcU

insider9

I'll add these, trying not to repeat what was already mentioned

Male vocals:
Jeff Buckley "Grace" or "Lover You Should've Come Over"
Louis Armstrong "Cheek to Cheek"
Leonard Cohen "Show Me the Place"
Gregory Porter "Musical Genocide"

Female vocals:
Joni Mitchell "Blue"
Tracy Chapman "Behind the Wall"
Alanis Morissette "Your House" (hidden track at the end of Little Jagged Pill)

Jazz:
Ornette Coleman "Ramblin'"
Esperanza Spalding "Funk the Fear"

Also if you dare :)

Tool "Eulogy" and "Lateralus"
Opeth "Nepenthe"
Porcupine Tree "The Sound of Muzak"
Jethro Tull "My God"
Soundgarden "Zero Chance"
Machine Head "Beautiful Mourning"
System of a Down "Cigaro"

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have Louis Armstrong, Leonard Cohen, Tracy Chapman and Jeff Buckley.

Back in the 80s, I had some Jethro Tull on Vinyl....but don't have any now.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

One of my fave's too!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Mac

It was all pretty much new to me, but these tracks stood out for me:

Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)

11. Acoustic Live (Nils Lofgren)

1. Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)

3. Brahms Clarinet Quintet (Linn Fitzwilliam String Quartet Tr.1)

1. Tamacun (Rodrigo y Gabriela)

Mac

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I've cleared up after the extensive feast that ensued yesterday and carried on into the early hours...

My PLaylist is:

Genesis - Seconds out - Firth of Fifth. - For its massive scale and beautiful bass. Surely one of the best live albums ever recorded for SQ?

Laurie Anderson - Life on a String - My Compensation. - For soundstaging and 3D imaging.

Diana Krall - Live in Paris - A Case of You. - For its stunningly beautiful vocal and resolution of tiny sounds: The piano mechanism and even Diana's lips parting. a beautifully recorded live performance. Interesting that several people have already chosen this track too.

Everything but the Girl - Idlewild - Tears All Over Town. - For its beautiful vocals and a difficult to render, high 'bell' sound that I find some speakers have difficulty pulling off properly. Also has beautiful Sax solo.

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk - Storms. - For emotion. If I don't 'well up' listening to this, there's something very wrong with the sound of the equipment I'm auditioning.

Harry Christopher's The Sixteen - Tavener - The Lamb. - For Vocals, vocals, vocals.

London Grammar - If You Wait - Hey Now. - For beautiful vocals and that bass....

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra - Olivier Messiaen. - Turangalila Symphony - X Finale. For dynamics and resolution of complexity.

Andrea Bocelli - Sogno - Canto Della Terra. - For its ability to soar.

Joni Mitchell - Travelogue - The Sire of Sorrow. - For the ability to create atmosphere and dynamics.

I could also add tracks from Steely Dan, Dire straits, Donald Fagen etc. - but most people are over familiar with these.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
It was all pretty much new to me, but these tracks stood out for me:

Mac, see if you can find Toccata/Play Bach by Jacques Loussier (Double CD).

It was first recorded an around 1963....and was what first got me into his music in the 70s (Vinyl played on my Rega 2).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toccata-Play-Bach-Jacques-Loussier/dp/B00004LCBQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1522689839&sr=8-8&keywords=jacques+loussier+plays+bach

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Love the "Seconds Out" album.

I had all their original Albums on Vinyl, before Peter Gabriel left.

Now, all I have is The Platinum Collection....but their older stuff is where it's at.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Love the "Seconds Out" album.

I had all their original Albums on Vinyl, before Peter Gabriel left.

Now, all I have is The Platinum Collection....but their older stuff is where it's at.

I was 'into' Genesis (and Yes etc.) as a teenager. My favouite period is just after Gabriel left. 'Wind and Wuthering' and 'Trick of the Tail'. 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' had some great moments, but I felt it was over self-indulgent (in a period of prog-rock overindulgence, quite a feat!) and I guess so did the other members of Genesis and hence why he quit. - Anyway he went on to make some great solo albums.

'Seconds Out' just sounds so damn good. Collins (massively underappreciated IMO) adding more colour and life to some of the older works.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Okay, I've cleared up after the extensive feast that ensued yesterday and carried on into the early hours...

My PLaylist is:

Genesis - Seconds out - Firth of Fifth. - For its massive scale and beautiful bass. Surely one of the best live albums ever recorded for SQ?

Laurie Anderson - Life on a String - My Compensation. - For soundstaging and 3D imaging.

Diana Krall - Live in Paris - A Case of You. - For its stunningly beautiful vocal and resolution of tiny sounds: The piano mechanism and even Diana's lips parting. a beautifully recorded live performance. Interesting that several people have already chosen this track too.

Everything but the Girl - Idlewild - Tears All Over Town. - For its beautiful vocals and a difficult to render, high 'bell' sound that I find some speakers have difficulty pulling off properly. Also has beautiful Sax solo.

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk - Storms. - For emotion. If I don't 'well up' listening to this, there's something very wrong with the sound of the equipment I'm auditioning.

Harry Christopher's The Sixteen - Tavener - The Lamb. - For Vocals, vocals, vocals.

London Grammar - If You Wait - Hey Now. - For beautiful vocals and that bass....

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra - Olivier Messiaen. - Turangalila Symphony - X Finale. For dynamics and resolution of complexity.

Joni Mitchell - Travelogue - The Sire of Sorrow. - For the ability to create atmosphere and dynamics.

I could also add tracks from Steely Dan, Dire straits, Donald Fagen etc. - but most people are over familiar with these.

Just tried some Harry Christophers, o my word, beautiful!

Laurie Anderson track was a bit of an eye opener, sounded amazing.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:

That is also a nice selection.

I very nearly included Ray laMontagne, as I've 2 of his albums.

Try Bach Prelude No.1 in C Major (Well tempered Clavier Book 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLB64p4J8FQ

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Macspur said:
Infiniteloop said:

My PLaylist is:

Just tried some Harry Christophers, o my word, beautiful!

Laurie Anderson track was a bit of an eye opener, sounded amazing.

Mac

Glad you like the Harry Christophers. I find if your speakers can bring out the low basses the rest just falls into place. There's also a beautifully defined sense of space on that track too.

On my system with the Devialet and Focals, the soundstage is enormous with sounds coming from at least 4 feet either side of where the speakers are. The whole album sounds amazing and I bet hardly anyone knows it even exists....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There once was an Audiophile called CNo

who booked a demo after several glasses of vino

let battle commence between the Beth and KEF

but will the wife let him spend all their greeno

:) Was thinkling about you

Samd

ellisdj said:

who booked a demo after several glasses of vino

There once was a DJ called Ellis

Whose avatar looked like a trellis

The colours were good; the halo was better

but blessed I can't read every letter.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Samd said:
ellisdj said:

who booked a demo after several glasses of vino

There once was a DJ called Ellis

Whose avatar looked like a trellis

The colours were good; the halo was better

but blessed I can't read every letter.
I was being discrete :)

insider9

BigH said:
Does anyone take music for demos they are not that keen on? Or music that is not that well recorded?
Yes, most definitely! Many would argue a lot of music I listen to and so does Blacksabbath25 isn't well recorded. Some of it most definitely isn't well recorded.

I also test on electronic stuff I'm not that keen on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts