Out with the New, In with the Old?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What an exciting listen you will have! Some great speakers, and I’d originally thought the Harbeth would be on my shortlist (you’ll recall about a year ago), though the nearest dealer was just a bit too far away.

Choosing what to play is a bit of a challenge, though we have similar ideas. In the end I found one or two tracks, ones I listen to less often, to be the most revealing.

The most valuable thing was being given the remote control so I could set my own volume. It’s far too easy to listen much louder at a shop than you would at home, and end up with a different perspective on the overall sound. I know you know this though!

Looking forward to it!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
What an exciting listen you will have! Some great speakers, and I’d originally thought the Harbeth would be on my shortlist (you’ll recall about a year ago), though the nearest dealer was just a bit too far away.

Choosing what to play is a bit of a challenge, though we have similar ideas. In the end I found one or two tracks, ones I listen to less often, to be the most revealing.

The most valuable thing was being given the remote control so I could set my own volume. It’s far too easy to listen much louder at a shop than you would at home, and end up with a different perspective on the overall sound. I know you know this though!

Looking forward to it!

I like to hear how a system sounds when playing Softly, Moderately and Loudly.

For me, if there is something I don't like about a system, then playing it loud seems to exacerbate it. I also like to see if a system can increase to high volume without strain. It will be interesting to see if my 35W amp can still do this into less Sensitive speakers.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:

Looking forward to it!

I like to hear how a system sounds when playing Softly, Moderately and Loudly.

For me, if there is something I don't like about a system, then playing it loud seems to exacerbate it. I also like to see if a system can increase to high volume without strain. It will be interesting to see if my 35W amp can still do this into less Sensitive speakers.

My guess is 35 Watts will be plenty if my 24 Watt SET is anything to go by....

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
How long does your amp take to sound at its best?

Being Class A, probably around half an hour, maybe a bit less.
That's not too bad. My Hegel needs 45 minutes to sound at its best from cold start. From standby it's ready to go.

Reasons why I mention is that first impressions matter. I'd setup and run it for first half hour without any serious listening. Stretch your legs, have a coffee, etc.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
That's not too bad. My Hegel needs 45 minutes to sound at its best from cold start. From standby it's ready to go.

Reasons why I mention is that first impressions matter. I'd setup and run it for first half hour without any serious listening. Stretch your legs, have a coffee, etc.

Yup.

First plug in amp. Second get coffee....there's a deli next door.

insider9

Mark Rose-Smith said:
about naim....it's always nice and warm and ready to be on song from the get go.
You mean because you never switch it off :) I don't switch my Hegel off neither. Used to put it in Eco mode but don't even bother with that anymore. Display is off so it looks off anyway.

Yes....but it's (superuniti)kinda like a old vhs player as it sits there under my TV with the time and date as a constant in the naim nostalgic green colour.....it doesn't look like you should turn it off....lol...but I didn't quite feel the same way about the nait xs...I switched that off quit often......and no not because it sounded **** before anyone has a wee naim dig.lol.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My Playlist is going to look a bit like this (though it probably still needs shortened):

Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)

Money (Pink Floyd)

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac)

Take Five (Dave Brubeck)

Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain)

High water everywhere (J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall )

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist)

Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor)

Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro)

Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 )

Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major)

O Fortuna (Carmena Burana)

Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25)

Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum)

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele)

Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse)

Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black)

Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird)

Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland)

They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice)

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)

Essential Yello (The Rhythm Devine)

South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black)

Your Playlist would dovetail nicely with mine. I'll post it later. Bit busy right now...... 20 coming for late lunch! *shok*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Your Playlist would dovetail nicely with mine. I'll post it later. Bit busy right now...... 20 coming for late lunch! *shok*

Excellent. It's always good to see what others would bring to demo.

Most of my tracks are testing a different dimension of the speakers - versatility/resolution/musicality/scale etc...and see how they deal with tracks that are recorded a bit "hot".

That list has been cut from 70.

Good luck with your lunch party.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My Playlist is going to look a bit like this (though it probably still needs shortened):

Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)

Money (Pink Floyd)

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac)

Take Five (Dave Brubeck)

Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain)

High water everywhere (J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall )

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist)

Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor)

Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro)

Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 )

Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major)

O Fortuna (Carmena Burana)

Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25)

Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum)

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele)

Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse)

Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black)

Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird)

Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland)

They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice)

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)

Essential Yello (The Rhythm Divine)

South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno, Try to listen to Diana Krall (Live In Paris). The track is “A Case of You” when demoing the ref3. I did and if you got goosebumps take the ref3 home.

Thanks for the tip...I know that song, but from Ian Shaw.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Cno, Try to listen to Diana Krall (Live In Paris). The track is “A Case of You” when demoing the ref3. I did and if you got goosebumps take the ref3 home. 

Thanks for the tip...I know that song, but from Ian Shaw.
I agree Diana Krall version is right up there with the original. Ian Shaw is well recorded but not as emotional as original or Diana Krall's version. I also really like the version from "Both Sides Now". Joni's voice got an extra dimension with age.

iceman16 said:
That’s a coincidence because this album was what made my ATCs stand out when I first demoed them! That’s a great track, though I’m a bit distracted by what sounds like pedal thump from the piano. Can happen on a wooden stage if the mikes are sited near the performer.

My guesses....

CnoEvil said:
Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality) KEF

Money (Pink Floyd) KEF

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) KEF

Take Five (Dave Brubeck) Harbeth

Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain) Harbeth

High water everywhere (J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall ) KEF

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist) KEF

Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor) never heard it

Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro) Harbeth

Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 ) Harbeth

Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major) KEF

O Fortuna (Carmena Burana) Harbeth

Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25) Harbeth

Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum) never heard it

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele) Harbeth

Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse) Harbeth

Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black) KEF

Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird) Harbeth

Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin) never heard it

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland) Harbeth

They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice) KEF

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy) KEF

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms) KEF

Essential Yello (The Rhythm Divine) KEF

South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black) never heard it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
My guesses....

CnoEvil said:
Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality) KEF

Money (Pink Floyd) KEF

The Chain (Fleetwood Mac) KEF

Take Five (Dave Brubeck) Harbeth

Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain) Harbeth

High water everywhere (J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall ) KEF

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist) KEF

Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor) never heard it

Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro) Harbeth

Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 ) Harbeth

Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major) KEF

O Fortuna (Carmena Burana) Harbeth

Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25) Harbeth

Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum) never heard it

Set Fire to the Rain (Adele) Harbeth

Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse) Harbeth

Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black) KEF

Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird) Harbeth

Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin) never heard it

Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland) Harbeth

They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice) KEF

Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy) KEF

Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms) KEF

Essential Yello (The Rhythm Divine) KEF

South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black) never heard it

The REF's will take some beating for Dave Brubeck Take 5 :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
There is a lot of music that I will listen to if there is time (here is the complete list):

Classics1. Joan of Arc. Maid of Orleens (OMD - Archecture & Morality)2. Kashmir (Led Zep - Physical Graffiti)3. Carpet Crawlers (Genisis)4. You Win, I Lose (Supertramp - Some things never change)5. Burning Down the House (Talking Heads - Best of)6. The Great Gig in the Sky/Money (P.Floyd DSOTM)7. The Chain (Fleetwood Mac Tusk)/Everywhere/Chain8. Up where we belong (Joe Cocker - The essential collection)9. The Royal Scam (Steely Dan - The Royal Scam)

Jazz1. Ernie's Tune (Dexter Gorden - Ballads)2. Take Five (Dave Brubeck - Time Out)

3. Jacques Loussier

Blues1. Love Blues (Keb Mo)2. Your Heart is as Black as Night (Beth Hart - Don't Explain)

R & B1. J. Bonamassa Live from the Albert Hall (Woke up Dreaming & Sloe Gin Tracks 6 and 10)....or Live from nowhere in Particular.+ High water everywhere

Acoustic1. Tamacun (Rodrigo y Gabriela)2. Schubert Piano Sonata No.17 (Paul Lewis)3. Tears in Heaven (E. Clapton Unplugged)4. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Wayne Marshall The virtuoso organist)

Opera1. Non Piu Andrai (Marriage of Fig - Best of Mozart Operas)2. La Boheme Che Gelida Manina (Puccini Areas - Jose Cura)3. Libiamo ne lieti calici (Rolando Villazon - Tenor)4.Pavarotti (Verdi Arias Tr1)5. Rossini Heroins (Cecelia Bartoli Tr 8)

Concerto1. Bach Piano Concert No.5 (Linn 24 Bit Track 7 Allegro)2 B'hoven Triple Concerto (Perlman, Yo Yo Ma, Barenboin)3. Brahms Clarinet Quintet (Linn Fitzwilliam String Quartet Tr.1)4. Dvorak Violin Concerto A Minor (Linn 24 Bit Tr.1 )5. Bach Keyboard Concerto No.1  in D Minor (Perahia Tr.1)6. Wynton Marsalis Trumpet Concertos (Tr.8 E Flat Major)

Choral1. O Fortuna (Carmena Burana)2. Bach Mathew Passion (Linn 24 Bit Track 1)3. Handel Messiah (Linn He was despised Tr. 25)4. Te Lucis ante terminum (Linn T.Tallis - Spem in Allum)

Orchestral1. 1812 (Blade Demo Track 1)

Female Artist1. Adele - Daydreamer (19) + Set Fire to the Rain (21)2. Incantation (Loreena Mc Kennitt - An Ancient Muse)3. Back to Black (Amy Whitehouse - Back to Black)4. Track 3 (Blade Demo)5. Come away with me (Norah Jones)6. Fields of Gold (Eva Cassidy - Song Bird)7. The word around Town (Rebecca Pidgeon - Women of Song [Chesky]8. A case of you (Diana Krall - Live in Paris)

Male Artist1. Nadia (Nitan Sawhney - Beyond Skin)2. Blade Demo (Track 8)3. Sorry seems to be the hardest word (R.Charles - Genius Loves Co)4. Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes (P.Simon - Graceland)5. They won't go when I go (G.Michael - Listen w'out prejudice)6. Bad Things (Jace Everett - My Country)7. Man in the Long Black Coat (Bob Dylan - Mercy)8. Georgia on my Mind (W. Nelson)9. Hallelujah (The Essential Leonard Cohen)10 I'm Yours (J. Mraz - We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things)11. Acoustic Live (Nils Lofgren)

Electronic1.Never mind (Infected Mushroom - Army of Mushrooms)2. Essential Yello (Drive / The Rhythm Devine}3. Plastic Beach (Gorillaz - Plastic Beach)4. Into (The XX - XX)5. South of the Line (Rude Mechanicals - Pitch Black)

Mrs. C1. Achy Breaky heart (B.R.Cyrus)2. Clementine (Westlife - Allow us to be Frank)3. Words (Boyzone - Back again, No Matter What Greatest Hits)4. Flying without wings (Westlife - Westlife)5. Spanish Train (Chris de Burg - The collection)6. When I need you (D Osmund - Love songs of the 70s)7. More like the movies (Dr Hook - Love Songs)8. From a distance/Wind beneath my wings (Bette Midler - Experience the Devine - Greatest Hits)

When comparing 2 products I've found it counter productive to have too many songs.
For me I'd go back.and forth with maybe 5 max
And keep repeating and swapping so can be very familiar with the difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
When comparing 2 products I've found it counter productive to have too many songs. For me I'd go back.and forth with maybe 5 max And keep repeating and swapping so can be very familiar with the difference.

I agree.

That list you quoted, is the full list, which I then spent a full day shrinking.

If there isn't a clear favorite and it comes down to an intense shootout...I will compare just 2 or three songs. Up to that point, I want to hear just how versatile the speakers are. Almost any system can be made sound great with a judicious selection of well recorded, uncomplicated music.

If necessary, I will make a return trip. This session is to get a good overview of what each speaker is capable of....the 40.2s are probably a full range monitor, when in-room response is measured.....which puts them in with the big boys.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts