Oppo BDP-831 or Pioneer BDP-LX71??

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
one off:any reason given for the cancellationLook back a few posts and you will see the official reason. Whether the Sony pushing them down to 4* and henceforce losing them 100s of sales had anything to do with it, I could not possibly comment.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
one off:any reason given for the cancellation

Again, here's a screengrab of the Oppo site with full announcement.

News story with further comment from Oppo to follow shortly - just as soon as we've finished ripping up a Blu-ray Group Test, Gramophone review. etc. etc....
emotion-39.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

News story with further comment from Oppo to follow shortly - just as soon as we've finished ripping up a Blu-ray Group Test, Gramophone review. etc. etc....
emotion-39.gif

Well you can still buy the US version so why not run them anyway, there are hundreds of people who've bought one and hundreds more that will continue to buy the Oppo who'd love to read the comparisons you'd be publishing. Why rip up perfectly valid work, just add a disclaimer.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: just as soon as we've finished ripping up a Blu-ray Group Test, Gramophone review. etc. etc....
emotion-39.gif

Don't we get a sneak preview then before it goes through the shredder?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:Well you can still buy the US version so why not run them anyway, there are hundreds of people who've bought one and hundreds more that will continue to buy the Oppo who'd love to read the comparisons you'd be publishing. Why rip up perfectly valid work, just add a disclaimer.

Don't start that one again, I think you know what the answer will be!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

emotion-39.gif

Trust me Clare, you are not nearly as annoyed as I am. I have a pile of Blu-rays that have been waiting for this player to arrive. If I had not just had a call from the surgery telling me that the funny lines between my eyes are safe and not due to high cholesterol levels I would have punched a hole in my laptop.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're going to keep the review of the Oppo BDP-831 online, with a disclaimer, but there's no point wasting precious magazine pages on a product you can't buy - plenty more useful things we can add in for those looking for a new player.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:If that's true then it's back to buying an 83 with region free mod from CRT Projectors
emotion-1.gif

At least they can be bought, even if it's not the UK version everyone's been waiting for and at a slightly higher price. Humph!

One more puff for your mate who's selling the modded US version and the ban button will have the safety guard removed again...

A

Anonymous

You have got to be kidding me !

They went to all the hassle of arranging review copies, creating all those magazine reviews etc. and then at the last minute pull a whole product launch ? Sheesh.

Off to buy the Sony...

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:The 71 is the same inside for HDMI use as the 51. So you're basically wasting your money if you buy a 71 and connect via HDMI. That's my view. There are plenty of reviews that state this. They look very alike too.

The PS3 is brilliant but will not stream .iso BluRay files or a host of other file formats. That's the only downside with the PS3 or I'd get one in a flash. No coaxial digital output and I must say I've had better experiences with coax than optical. But that could have something to do with using the cheapest most rubbish optical ever and bending it a lot. Or the input output circuitry on one not being a match for the other.

I'm using a BDP-LX91 via HDMI and I'm not wasting my money.........

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Almost - but not quite - what the Bard would call:

muchado.jpg

Now, if someone released a player with Mr Reeve's endorsement, my pre-order would be in like a rat up a drainpipe!

D

Deleted member 2457

The mighty pioneer bdp-lx71 has seen off the Oppo, now it has been suggested the pioneer bdp-lx52 is better than the

pioneer bdp-lx71/08/51fd.

Have seen the two in home test's the 52 was sent packing by a country mile.

The 71 had better picture, sound and build quality.

The 52 is going down now Claire Newsome
emotion-12.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

By the way good first post Ibber that's one way to bring down the Oppo- Ha Ha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts