Oppo BDP-831 or Pioneer BDP-LX71??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:So what Will is saying is, if you just want to play movies via HDMI into a receiver or TV, the £79 Tevion you can buy at Aldi from time to time is as good Blu-ray player as you'll ever need to buy.

Haven't tried it Andrew. The cheapest one I've tried was the Sony BDP-S350 and it was indistinguishable from the Denon DVD A1UD to me. I was surprised. But I can't pretend that isn't what I found.

A

Anonymous

Will,

Are you say that basically a bluray player upgrade does not technically get you any benefits.

I have a lgbd370, it seems ok does the job, I am not a techno guy just read these forums all night long

Today i bought a new tv in a 5090,
emotion-2.gif
of which i am well happy,

My question to anyone is

Would an upgrade do anything for me?

A

Anonymous

iamthetimberman:
Will,

Are you say that basically a bluray player upgrade does not technically get you any benefits.

I have a lgbd370, it seems ok does the job, I am not a techno guy just read these forums all night long

Today i bought a new tv in a 5090,
emotion-2.gif
of which i am well happy,

My question to anyone is

Would an upgrade do anything for me?

Well, the answer is pretty simple. You have the screen you plan to use, so borrow the player you want to upgrade to. Plug it in and see if it makes anything any better.

The Pioneer 5090 is an amazing screen, it's also in a few top stores like TLC Broadcast (think they have one left and it's where we've been doing our blind testing). Basically, you need to try them out. There's no other way you'll know for sure. Make sure you have 2 discs of the same material, or that the store has one and you bring one, so you can get both players spinning at the same time. Then get them both playing, give the controls to the store so you don't know which you're watching or hearing, and see which you prefer without the subconscious knowledge of which is which.

topbloke55

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:
So there's not really much point in getting the LX71 when BDP-51FD is almost as good for a lot less. My dealer is offering me the Pioneer BDP-LX08 player for £499. Any experience of this player?

Will, the Popcorn Hour C200 seems like an interesting product! However, I'm not clear about its advantages over a PS3, apart from the fact that I can connect ANY blu-ray player to it for a better performance.

I have the LX-08 and it is amazing, very high quality video and sound via the 7.1 output. Recommended.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:gel:If it's so good why is it sitting with four stars at £449.00?Gel, honestly, read the Oppo thread and you'll see the punch-up there. Read other forums and other sources of data and you'll see that there are different views everywhere. Most think the Oppo to be a very good player indeed.WHF believe it's a 4 star player. I don't, but this isn't the place to go into that. You have to make that choice for yourself.

I would like to add to the discussion that I have the Oppo 83 and find the machine worth every penny and better than I expected

For Music/video/sound and i would give it Five stars . It will do more than what's on the Box and Its a flexible friend.(upgrade)

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Thanks for the input, WH, but I'm not aware of any devices currently able to stream SACDs at full DSD definition - they'll usually only store and stream the CD layer.

I know this is moving away from the topic, but this thread seems to have died anyway?

I am on uncertain grounds here and would appreciate if anyone could clarify for me how to get the best sound from SACD discs (now that I am considering the Oppo, I am considering SACD discs as well).

I actually thought the best way was as DSD, but from the above this doesn't seem to be the case? Are there other and superior options over HDMI, or is multible analog cables the way to go? (depending on the DAC's in either device of course).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The best way is a player able to stream DSD from the disc to a suitable receiver.

Will was talking in terms of hardware able to store SACDs on a hard drive and stream them as DSD.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
TKratz:

Andrew Everard:Thanks for the input, WH, but I'm not aware of any devices currently able to stream SACDs at full DSD definition - they'll usually only store and stream the CD layer.

I know this is moving away from the topic, but this thread seems to have died anyway?

I am on uncertain grounds here and would appreciate if anyone could clarify for me how to get the best sound from SACD discs (now that I am considering the Oppo, I am considering SACD discs as well).

I actually thought the best way was as DSD, but from the above this doesn't seem to be the case? Are there other and superior options over HDMI, or is multible analog cables the way to go? (depending on the DAC's in either device of course).
The original is just referring to hard disk based devices. The Oppo can stream SACDs at full DSD, but your amp must be able to accept DSD as an input. My Onkyo 875 can (one of the reasons I want an Oppo), but most cant so that would be something you would need to investigate.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thank you both for the clarification. I misread the post then.

I believe my Yamaha-DSP Z7 do accept DSD input (Pete123 investigated this at some point, but I will double check).

D

Deleted member 2457

Just been back to that public library Whsmiths forgot to read the Oppo review the other day in sorry in advanced Home cinema choice mag reads build 5 design 5 performance 4 and overall 4.

So two people have now given it 4 stars.

A

Anonymous

Well, if you want to buy the best player out there at the moment, our shootout at the weekend didn't award the winning ticket to the Oppo, or the Denon A1UD. It went, to the Sony BDP S350. And that's also for 2 channel analogue CD playback. Go figure. So, save a fortune and buy the Sony. Maybe What Hi-Fi are onto something
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Well, if you want to buy the best player out there at the moment, our shootout at the weekend didn't award the winning ticket to the Oppo, or the Denon A1UD. It went, to the Sony BDP S350. And that's also for 2 channel analogue CD playback. Go figure. So, save a fortune and buy the Sony. Maybe What Hi-Fi are onto something
emotion-5.gif

smelling_salts.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi Will,

If that's the case then how good is the Sony BDP-S760 at the moment? By the way thanks for your advice the other day. I am now the proud owner of the Dali Ikon 6 fronts (used £550 off ebay) and they have really improved my set-up.

might be the Sony Blu-Ray next!

Cheers.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well, even if you follow Will's argument that a budget Blu-ray player does it all, the entry-level Sony doesn't have multichannel analogue outs, which you need to enjoy HD audio formats via your Arcam receiver. In which case the Sony S760 is an ideal player for you. Some would say (ie us) that it will also offer a step up in picture and sonic performance, too....

A

Anonymous

No objection to trying the 760 or the Pioneer 52, but we ran out of time on Sunday.

Glad the Dali Ikon 6s are working out well. I still have mine and they're a great pair of speakers.

Have tried to get onto the Oppostore a number of times, to no avail. Still waiting. Wondering if we ever found out whether Oppo have removed some features from the 83 for the 831, such as the last 5 disks memory feature.

Really couldn't believe the A1UD didn't sound better.

Perhaps our next test will be a purely analogue one! Needs a lot more time devoted to it. Have to say though, I've never been as impressed by a screen as I was by the Pioneer 6090 Kuro. What a beauty. Such a shame that they've stopped making them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts