Opinions please, audiophiles! Wharfedale / Marantz...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all;

I've got a chance to pick up a Marantz PM32 with a pair of Wharfedale CRS 3...

I seem to recall that the amp was fairly well regarded when it came out (?) but can't find a review of these speakers.. trying to
work out whether it's worth a drive to go and listen to them tomorrow!

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how this old amp will stack up today? How about the speakers?

I'm currently using the (Richer Sounds favorite) Cambridge Audio A1 connected to some Gale Mini Monitors... and am looking for an inexpensive upgrade: do you think I'll experience an improvement?

Thanks in advance everyone!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'll be honest, it will be a little better, but not a massive amount. Depends on the drive and price really. Anything over 1/2hr or £80 and I'd give it a miss.

The amp is better than the speakers - they look uncannily like Delta 30.2s, which were pretty much on a par with the Gales.

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the advice; in fact, it was £50 for both pieces so I decided to give it a go (I've been reading with new-found interest various threads about getting addicted to new kit... I get it.)

You're right (about some improvement); in fact, was better than expected (better definition, much better top end, more presence); further improved by (my first) decent interconnects, speaker cable and stands.

Feels like I've got a 'proper' set up for the first time ever.... it's all old (source is a nice Technics PG520) but it's at least consistenly old and reasonably balanced.

So no now: time to work out the progression plan...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts