Ooooh... just got meself a Blu-ray player/thanks to BB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
I made my recommendation already here ...

http://www.whathifi.com/comment/848704#comment-848704

... on top of everything else it does, it has stereo RCA phono outputs and optical digital output ...

Why does this review say on 'Cons' "no DVD-Audio or SACD playback", or am I missing something fundamental?

Also it was first reviewed in 2012. Will it still be a better player than the Pioneer? Picturewise the Pioneer is a revelation.

How many SACDs or Audio only DVDs do you have already or intend to buy?

I was thinking primarily of something that would replace your old Sony DVD Freeview recorder (and be able to play Blu-rays and do Freeview HD recordings etc.)

I didn't envisage you wanting to try DVD-A or SACDs.

p.s. You linked to a slightly different or older model.

Sorry, bear with me. The Sony is the only DVD we've ever had -- it has been in the house since 2004, so I know nothing about DVD players/Blu-Rays.

No, don't have any SACDs, and when it says no DVD-Audio playback, I just think (incorrectly) that it won't accommodate the inputs on the amplifier.

Yes, at £120 it has to be worth checking out, so wondered whether Blu-Ray technology has moved on much since 2012, in terms of picture quality in particular.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:

... on top of everything else it does, it has stereo RCA phono outputs and optical digital output ...

Why does this review say on 'Cons' "no DVD-Audio or SACD playback", or am I missing something fundamental?

Also it was first reviewed in 2012. Will it still be a better player than the Pioneer? Picturewise the Pioneer is a revelation.

How many SACDs or Audio only DVDs do you have already or intend to buy?

I was thinking primarily of something that would replace your old Sony DVD Freeview recorder (and be able to play Blu-rays and do Freeview HD recordings etc.)

I didn't envisage you wanting to try DVD-A or SACDs.

p.s. You linked to a completely different model. (Player only). My link was to a BDP/DVD/Freeview HD recorder.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yes, at £120 it has to be worth checking out, so wondered whether Blu-Ray technology has moved on much since 2012, in terms of picture quality in particular.

You are still mixing up my BDP/DVD/HDD/Freeview HD recorder suggestion and the Panasonic player you discussed with Bigboss.

I was thinking of a total replacement for your Sony DVD recorder in functionalitiy and connectivity.

abacus

All reviews, the Pioneer website (And the WHF review) all point out its lack of analogue outputs, so I am surprised Richer sounds didn’t mention this.

Stick with it as the BDP 450 video performance (Particularly DVD Upscale) is as good as players 2, 3 & even 4 times the price. (It easily matches the Marantz 7007 that is recommended by WHF)

Get yourself a decent DAC (Which unless you go for a really upmarket Blu-ray player will beat the inbuilt DACs of standard Blu-ray players anyway) and you will be good to go.

Some users have reported problems playing some discs, however I have not found any that cause problems as yet, and the Blu-ray load speed blows most other players out of the water.

If you want an all in one, then if you can find one (The BDT500 has been discontinued for some time) the Panasonic BDT500 is the one to go for as you will not be disappointed. (Its video performance doesn’t quite match the BDP 450 though)

If your TV/Projector supports it switch 24p on in the Blu-ray player menu.

Hope this helps

Bill

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

You are still mixing up my BDP/DVD/HDD/Freeview HD recorder suggestion and the Panasonic player you discussed with Bigboss.

I was thinking of a total replacement for your Sony DVD recorder in functionalitiy and connectivity.

I know the one you're suggesting has the Freeview and HDD, but with the Sky Box I'm not sure want that additional facility. Just gives others the excuse to cram the thing with programmes they won't watch.

Richer Sounds are now suggesting a Samsung (£150) which has analogue outputs, although have no idea how the picture compares with the Pioneer.

abacus said:
Stick with it as the BDP 450 video performance (Particularly DVD Upscale) is as good as players 2, 3 & even 4 times the price. (It easily matches the Marantz 7007 that is recommended by WHF)

Get yourself a decent DAC (Which unless you go for a really upmarket Blu-ray player will beat the inbuilt DACs of standard Blu-ray players anyway) and you will be good to go.

Some users have reported problems playing some discs, however I have not found any that cause problems as yet, and the Blu-ray load speed blows most other players out of the water.

If you want an all in one, then if you can find one (The BDT500 has been discontinued for some time) the Panasonic BDT500 is the one to go for as you will not be disappointed. (Its video performance doesn’t quite match the BDP 450 though)

Hope this helps

Bill

I assume you have the 450? the picture certainly was breathtaking for the price, but TBH, my knowledge of top quality DVD player has been somewhat hamstrung, having stuck with the Sony for so long.

John Duncan said:
If your TV is only 32" (which iirc it is) then the nuanced differences between Bluray players (if they exist at all) will not matter.

So are you saying stick with the Pioneer and buy a cheapo dac or look at the Panny? or..?

TBH, the Pionner has blown me away just on standard DVDs alone. Not sure what card to twist, quite frankly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Just gives others the excuse to cram the thing with programmes they won't watch.

Or ... the ability to selectively 'customise' your viewing so that whenever you sit down to watch TV, you know it's always going to be something you like rather than be at the mercy of the schedules.

(And skip through ads and pause your TV viewing when you need to.)

In my experience (backed up by reviews on AV forums), I haven't found any differences in blu ray picture quality between cheap and expensive players. DVD upscaling can be different, but Panasonic players are brilliant upscalers as well.

I would go with the Panasonic given your requirements.

bigboss said:
In my experience (backed up by reviews on AV forums), I haven't found any differences in blu ray picture quality between cheap and expensive players. DVD upscaling can be different, but Panasonic players are brilliant upscalers as well.

I would go with the Panasonic given your requirements.

Phoned the Bromley branch earlier and they said the 500 was scratched and had been returned for repair... it'll still come with a basic 12 month warranty.

Chebby's suggestion is too well loaded for our everyday use. We have Freeview on the TV and Sky Box, and although the pause could come in handy, it'll rarely get used.

I'm going to travel over there and look at the Samsung, Panny and see how they compare. That Pioneer is some benchmark.

Cheers BB.

John Duncan

plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
If your TV is only 32" (which iirc it is) then the nuanced differences between Bluray players (if they exist at all) will not matter.

So are you saying stick with the Pioneer and buy a cheapo dac or look at the Panny? or..?

TBH, the Pionner has blown me away just on standard DVDs alone. Not sure what card to twist, quite frankly.
Get a player that does what you need it to do straight out of the box (in other words, has analogue stereo out). The odds of lip syncing issues with a DAC are >0 and you need another plug and more cabling. Further, whilst up scaling capabilities do vary, I would expect any player over a hundred quid to do a better job than the combination of your Sony and TV.

Oh well, changed the Pioneer for a Samsung. Just got back so I'll let you know how it sounds. RS confirmed JD and BB's comments about being little or no difference in picture quality in and around that price bracket. Must say, I'm a little gutted the Pioneer isn't a part our experience. Let's see.

Anyway, got more pressing issues than subtle picture issues: I'll go into that further down the line. Let's take one thing at a time.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Oh well, changed the Pioneer for a Samsung. Just got back so I'll let you know how it sounds. RS confirmed JD and BB's comments about being little or no difference in picture quality in and around that price bracket. Must say, I'm a little gutted the Pioneer isn't a part our experience. Let's see.

Anyway, got more pressing issues than subtle picture issues: I'll go into that further down the line. Let's take one thing at a time.

All's right when ends right... *i-m_so_happy*

Huuummm, no DAC after all, lest see for how long...*diablo**angel*

*drinks*

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
"In the unlikely event that you should run out of space then a separate USB-equipped hard drive can be connected up by USB and data transferred from one to the other."

I've never had a hard drive recorder. Does the above enable playback from that external drive elsewhere (even through other Panasonic devices), or will it definitely be via that unit/model alone?

chebby said:

I am one frustrated Penguin. The menu set-up is so complicated. Having by-passed the menu I've tried to play a film thru the amp. Sounds stonking. However, there's no dialogue (hardly), even though the rest of the soundtrack and background noises are coming thru nicely. However, on the TV speakers only it's absolutely fine.

Why's this got to be so complicated?!

I've no idea what to do.

I'm sure I was a monster in previous life.

Help!!!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
PP do you have a AV amp? Or are you using the bluray directly into your TV? If yes i think you've to go to the audio menu in the bluray and select audio out through HDMI.

Nothing more comes to mind at this time...

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
PP do you have a AV amp? Or are you using the bluray directly into your TV? If yes i think you've to go to the audio menu in the bluray and select audio out through HDMI.

Nothing more comes to mind at this time...

No AV amp, just the Leema Pulse. The HDMI goes into the TV but the interconnects go into the back of the player/amp (Aux section). Also found out since the last post it doesn't support the home DVD-RW or DVD-Rs, even though the manual says it does. -- it just ejects them all.

Really fed up with this whole episode.

I've hit a brick wall.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

plastic penguin said:
I am one frustrated Penguin. The menu set-up is so complicated. Having by-passed the menu I've tried to play a film thru the amp. Sounds stonking. However, there's no dialogue (hardly), even though the rest of the soundtrack and background noises are coming thru nicely. However, on the TV speakers only it's absolutely fine.

I've no idea what to do.

Help!!!

The BDP is sending out 5.1 sound, so if you're listening on just stereo speakers, the dialogue will be virtually missing. You need to change the settings on the BDP to send 2 channel sound out, or choose that option on the disc itself (if it is an option).

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
plastic penguin said:

I've no idea what to do.

Help!!!

The BDP is sending out 5.1 sound, so if you're listening on just stereo speakers, the dialogue will be virtually missing. You need to change the settings on the BDP to send 2 channel sound out, or choose that option on the disc itself (if it is an option).

Yeah I've sussed that could be the issue. I've scouted the menu and can't anything that relates to stereo audio.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
PP lets start from the biginning, what model is your Samsung? It has 5.1 pre outs?

HFO, what I said above is definitely the problem. The BDP is exporting 5.1 sound to stereo speakers, so the dialogue is going to a non-existent centre speaker. There'll be something in the players options for sorting this, or there should be anyway, but as I'm not allowed to own any Korean goods, I have no idea about Samsung's menu.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It won't apear like stereo audio.

like BBB said, you have to disable all the other channels, central, suround left and right and sub, and they will be out put through the front left and right.

If possible select large speakers, that way more bass will be out put.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes it got pre out!

So just do like i've said, disable all the other channels. And they will all be output through the front channels.

You can even choose to output the sound PCM stereo, that way it would be easier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts