Only 1 double mains wall socket, 10 things to plug in...

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am limited to running all my Hifi and AV from one double wall socket; currently the set up has two 6 way extension blocks off each socket used as follows:

- Tacima 6 way extension: Amplifier, cd player, network player, av receiver, blu-ray player (+ one spare)

- Another 6 way extension: TV, PS3, Sky box, Telephone, Router (+ one spare)

I have read that the Tacima mains blocks can "strangle" an amplifier, so I wanted to try plugging the amp directly into the wall to hear if there's any improvement. It would mean running one extension from the other and having up to 9 units going into a single socket....

Question is, is it safe to run one extension lead off another? Is there any risk to overloading the sockets?

There's plenty of wall sockets in this room, just not in the right place! If I wasn't renting, I would have another double socket installed there.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
I have read that the Tacima mains blocks can "strangle" an amplifier, so I wanted to try plugging the amp directly into the wall to hear if there's any improvement.

The mains block will not make the slightest difference. I would change your reading habits.

TrevC

andyjm said:
cannibal_ox77 said:
I have read that the Tacima mains blocks can "strangle" an amplifier, so I wanted to try plugging the amp directly into the wall to hear if there's any improvement.

The mains block will not make the slightest difference. I would change your reading habits.

Indeed. Where do people get these crackpot ideas from?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
andyjm said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

This forum?

Chris

TrevC

Covenanter said:
TrevC said:
andyjm said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

This forum?

Chris

Where do those that post on the forum get them from?
smiley-cool.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
Covenanter said:
TrevC said:
andyjm said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

This forum?

Chris

Where do those that post on the forum get them from?
smiley-cool.gif

This forum.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it was on here somewhere, a thread about tacima mains blocks in some cases robbing amps of their full potential. I've seen recommendations elsewhere too that amps perform better plugged straight into the wall.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
I'm sure it was on here somewhere, a thread about tacima mains blocks in some cases robbing amps of their full potential. I've seen recommendations elsewhere too that amps perform better plugged straight into the wall.

I've seen a recommendation that suspending your speaker cables on blocks of wood from a particular tree is the best tweak known to mankind.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:

I wouldn't personally use one of those mains conditioners, you don't need to. The clever people that designed the power supply in the amplifier would have put in enough filtering to ensure optimum performance. Just go and get one of these, it will have the same effect as plugging it into the wall and you will then have a free socket !.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
The Tacima mains block will Definately not affect you amp. if anything i will improve Bass and increase detail...

As for you socket problems.. Other post probably right.. BUT IF I WAS YOU ONLY USE PRODUCTS (YOUR MAINS BLOCKS FOR THE PURPOSE THEY ARE INTENDED...bETTER SAFE THAN SORRY AFTER A FIRE IM SURE YOUR INSURANCE WOULDNT PAY OUT IF THEY FIND A WALL SOCKET WITH MORE PLUGS THAN ARE RECOMENDED............

TrevC

robg1976 said:
The Tacima mains block will Definately not affect you amp. if anything i will improve Bass and increase detail...

As for you socket problems.. Other post probably right.. BUT IF I WAS YOU ONLY USE PRODUCTS (YOUR MAINS BLOCKS FOR THE PURPOSE THEY ARE INTENDED...bETTER SAFE THAN SORRY AFTER A FIRE IM SURE YOUR INSURANCE WOULDNT PAY OUT IF THEY FIND A WALL SOCKET WITH MORE PLUGS THAN ARE RECOMENDED............

It will be just one, with as many trailing extensions plugged in as you need, daisy chained.

TrevC

cannibal_ox77 said:

Clueless people tend to write clueless nonsense. It has always been so.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:

TrevC, you just sound like a first class ******** with all your self important posts. Without a doubt, you are somebody who has no mates, whom nobody respects at work and has the biggest chip on your shoulder. This is the only place you enjoy because the few of you get to echo each other's words and agree with one another.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:

TrevC, you just sound like a first class ******** with all your self important posts. Without a doubt, you are somebody who has no mates, whom nobody respects at work and has the biggest chip on your shoulder. This is the only place you enjoy because the few of you get to echo each other's words and agree with one another.

Thank you for that confirmation.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
TrevC said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

cannibal is correct - just type tacima into the search and you'll find lots of 'clueless' comments :)

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
The OP had a genuine concern and asked for advice but as usual, the same poisonous bunch had to make a load of mocking statements like street thugs bullying an innocent victim while slapping each other on the back.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
The OP had a genuine concern and asked for advice but as usual, the same poisonous bunch had to make a load of mocking statements like street thugs bullying an innocent victim while slapping each other on the back.

I think you'll find that he wanted sensible advice and the truth from someone who knows, not a list of delusions and folk lore.

One more time. A Tacimo can't "strangle" amplifiers, and the surge protection it provides is an excellent idea.

Looks like it's you that is doing the bullying.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

Like a bit of hyperbole then?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe that you can now get wall socket converters that do not require a larger back-box to be cut into the wall. Something like this perhaps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newlec-NL8300-23SC-CONVERTER-SOCKET/dp/B007N41HSA/ref=sr_1_18?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1396602972&sr=1-18&keywords=double+socket+converter

Then you can have a spare socket for your amp, just in case YOU find that the Tacima strangles YOUR amplifier. I remember hifi mags starting the 'strangling' idea long before forums got into the mainstream.

TrevC

relocated said:
I believe that you can now get wall socket converters that do not require a larger back-box to be cut into the wall. Something like this perhaps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newlec-NL8300-23SC-CONVERTER-SOCKET/dp/B007N41HSA/ref=sr_1_18?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1396602972&sr=1-18&keywords=double+socket+converter

Then you can have a spare socket for your amp, just in case YOU find that the Tacima strangles YOUR amplifier. I remember hifi mags starting the 'strangling' idea long before forums got into the mainstream.

There is no advantage in using that socket for low current items like hifi or TV, and it simply isn't possible for an adequately rated extension to strangle anything. If it did it would have to drop the voltage greatly, and if it did that it would have to dissipate the dropped volts as heat. IOW, it would get very hot indeed.

Going back to the Tacimo, it appears that the positive and the negative comments about performance of connected items balance out approximately to something that makes no difference at all to performance, which is obviously the case if one has a clue.

TRENDING THREADS