Only 1 double mains wall socket, 10 things to plug in...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
From a fire safety perspective you do need to be carefull on how much load you put through a single outlet. The danger is not that the appliances will have a problem but that the wires inside the wall will heat up.

As long as you have a modern fuse box with correctly rated trip and overload detection you should be ok. As to whether you will have any impact on sound i'll leave that to others on the forum :shhh: .

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Feral said:
From a fire safety perspective you do need to be carefull on how much load you put through a single outlet. The danger is not that the appliances will have a problem but that the wires inside the wall will heat up.

WTF it's a ring main, this is bolloxx

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
relocated said:
I believe that you can now get wall socket converters that do not require a larger back-box to be cut into the wall. Something like this perhaps http://www.amazon.co.uk/Newlec-NL8300-23SC-CONVERTER-SOCKET/dp/B007N41HSA/ref=sr_1_18?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1396602972&sr=1-18&keywords=double+socket+converter

Then you can have a spare socket for your amp, just in case YOU find that the Tacima strangles YOUR amplifier. I remember hifi mags starting the 'strangling' idea long before forums got into the mainstream.

There is no advantage in using that socket for low current items like hifi or TV, and it simply isn't possible for an adequately rated extension to strangle anything. If it did it would have to drop the voltage greatly, and if it did that it would have to dissipate the dropped volts as heat. IOW, it would get very hot indeed.

Going back to the Tacimo, it appears that the positive and the negative comments about performance of connected items balance out approximately to something that makes no difference at all to performance, which is obviously the case if one has a clue.

Trev

I have NO interest in the efficacy or otherwise of the converter socket and especially not your opinion of it.

It was suggested to the OP for his possible use if thought useful.

ps. the advantage with the above suggested socket converter is that it provides yet another direct mains outlet should the OP want it. Oh, it's TacimA by the way.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
relocated said:
Trev

I have NO interest in the efficacy or otherwise of the converter socket and especially not your opinion of it.

It was suggested to the OP for his possible use if thought useful.

ps. the advantage with the above suggested socket converter is that it provides yet another direct mains outlet should the OP want it. Oh, it's TacimA by the way.

How can you not value his opinion?... After all he knows it all :clap:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Hifikrazy,

Hifi is a technical discipline and there are some on this forum who have a good grasp of the technical principles underlying our hobby, and there are some who don't. I put TrevC in the former camp.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I can not Believe some of the cooment on this post. Someone ask for advise from other Hi fi Users. All we can do is give our personal Experience... I.E For me the tasima mains improve the sound of my system and also has protection for your system and at around £30 is a good choice. WHY DO WE THEN GOT IDIOTS WHO CHOOSE TO NOT ONLY DISAGREE WHICH IS FINE BUT TO START TO ABUSE FELLOW MEMBERS AND GIVE CLULESS ADVISE

i FOR ONE HAVE NO TIME FOR THIS. THE GENERAL HI-FI POPULATION ARE EDUCATED NICE HONEST FOLK WHO ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT THE HOBBY

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
AGREE John Duncan... I feel this thread has gone from advise to abuse surely thats not the idea of this forum. i like to think we are all on this forum to learn help and chat to fellow minded hi- fi nuts

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
TrevC said:
There is no advantage in using that socket for low current items like hifi or TV

+1

There's no problem with plugging several low powered items like hifi equipment into one socket (within reason of course). It's the high powered items like heaters, hair dryers, kettles and microwaves that need to have their own plug socket.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Feral said:
as i said, with a modern consumer unit and fuses this shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed. :)

Slightly off topic. When searching for a leasure battery I came across this funny review which made me giggle. The guy only gave it 1 star because it discharged quickly when he used it to boil a kettle. :doh:

Clicky

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Feral said:
as i said, with a modern consumer unit and fuses this shouldn't be a problem.

Agreed. :)

Slightly off topic. When searching for a leasure battery I came across this funny review which made me giggle. The guy only gave it 1 star because it discharged quickly when he used it to boil a kettle. :doh:

Clicky

Should get one of these http://www.sunkettle.com

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Wouldn't take advise from people on here guessing what type of electrical installation you have,tripping will depend on you having mcbs ,rcds or rewirable fuses to the sensitivity of any overloading it's also will depend on if you have ring or radial circuits in your house and weather the socket you are using is on the same circuit as your kitchen or laundry room that have the heavier loads

if we assume your wiring is all up to spec then you should be ok with regards to using the two ext blocks.

i would agree with comments above saying not to plug heaters irons or hair dryers into ext blocks (if it gets hot quick by design it's better in its own outlet)

as far as the Tacima goes,the guy at rotel service centre advised me not to put amps into it and I have tried them with and without and can't notice a real difference in sound but on his advice I've put the amps in a regular ext block(he works on these things every day so I went with his advice)

also I found the Tacima defiantly brings the best out of my tv and video sources so I have everything else in my tacima's

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
carter said:
if we assume your wiring is all up to spec then you should be ok with regards to using the two ext blocks.

I'll have to look into this - we're renting so not quite sure what we've got.

One of the reasons I was concerned is there's a double socket on the opposite wall at the other end of the room, and it's fine powering a lamp and baby monitor but when I tried charging my laptop from it a nasty fishy odour came from the socket! That's the only time it happened but I haven't tried it since; the smell was rank and lingered for hours :doh: It was like something was burning and there'was a dead fish in the wall getting cooked! I've told the landlord and he said he's going to get it sorted anyway.

carter said:
as far as the Tacima goes,the guy at rotel service centre advised me not to put amps into it and I have tried them with and without and can't notice a real difference in sound but on his advice I've put the amps in a regular ext block(he works on these things every day so I went with his advice)

also I found the Tacima defiantly brings the best out of my tv and video sources so I have everything else in my tacima's

I'll try it when I get chance, but that's what I read (TV & sources into the Tacima, not amp) and a search for Tacima does indeed unearth quite a few discussions on the subject; a lot of people noticing an improvement especially with TV picture and AV kit, also a lot said about it squashing the stereo amp (or not). Quite interesting reading.

Wow...wasn't expecting this thread to create such a noise

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
One of the reasons I was concerned is there's a double socket on the opposite wall at the other end of the room, and it's fine powering a lamp and baby monitor but when I tried charging my laptop from it a nasty fishy odour came from the socket! That's the only time it happened but I haven't tried it since; the smell was rank and lingered for hours :doh: It was like something was burning and there'was a dead fish in the wall getting cooked! I've told the landlord and he said he's going to get it sorted anyway.

Cannibal, I generally stay away from house wiring advice because you never know how it will be misunderstood, but in this case I will make an exception. Don't use that socket again and you should get it looked at immediately by the landlord.

Old electrical fittings were made of phenolformaldehyde resin. One of the characteristics of this resin was a strong fishy odour when it was burnt or heated strongly as it outgassed the formaldehyde. Apart from being an unpleasant chemical in its own right, this fishy smell is the 'canary in the coalmine' for an electrical fitting in some sort of trouble. A laptop charger draws very little power, so there must be something else going on, probably nothing good.

Get it fixed.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Could just be a lose termination causing arcing at the back of the outlet or some kind of breakdown in the fitting,but agree this should be looked at.not sure on the requirements with rented properties and periodic inspection & testing but could be worth asking if it's ever been done

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts