Onkyo TX-SR507 - zone 2 question

md99

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi folks, I asked this very question elsewhere but got a slightly vague answer.

in my haste to spend money on some shiny new toys (an amp for my PC 's new speakers) it never occurred to me that the av receiver I have in my room can handle a second pair of speakers
emotion-10.gif

Anywho, its an Onkyo TX-SR507 and this can be done via its 'zone 2' function.

For anybody who has this receiver and has utilised zone 2 could you tell me this:

when zone 2 is functioning, zone 1 (the main room) is limited to 2.1 audio. Is this a permanent thing or does zone 1 automatically revert to 5.1 (if applicable) when zone 2 is turned off?

Also, is it true that the receiver doesn't use the sub when zone 2 is on and is limited to simple 2 channel stereo?

Thanks for your time .

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,
I have the excellent Onkyo SR607 and because it's a 7.2 channel amp, you can select any input to be sent to the Zone 2, providing of course you are using only 5 of the 7 power amps in your normal listening area.
I prefer to forgo the use of the second zone and bi-amp my front loudspeakers instead.

As the subwoofer output is a line out, I can't see why this will not still work when switching on a Zone 2 source, but I have never tried it.

nads

well you have two zone 2 options. powered and no powered.

you also have outs to make a 7.1 set up...

but i am not sure what you are trying to achieve. where do you want these other speakers....

md99

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
nads:
but i am not sure what you are trying to achieve. where do you want these other speakers....

I have my PC in my bedroom and want to use a pair of Q Acoustic 2010's with it.

In the room next door is my HT setup (where the Onkyo unit is). I thought I'd just route the 2010's speaker cable through the bedroom wall and power them via the Onkyo's zone 2 function.

nads

md99:nads:

I have my PC in my bedroom and want to use a pair of Q Acoustic 2010's with it.

In the room next door is my HT setup (where the Onkyo unit is). I thought I'd just route the 2010's speaker cable through the bedroom wall and power them via the Onkyo's zone 2 function.

so the PC would have cables running to the amp and then have speaker cables running back to the PC?

yes would allow you to use them in that room while the main room would only have access to a 3.1 set up.

TRENDING THREADS