Onkyo TX-8050 - Network Stereo Receiver - possible test?

T

the record spot

Saw this little item from Onkyo on the Superfi site earlier. This looks quite interesting - no DTS Master audio options, but two optical inputs plus USB on the front, network capability via ethernet link, DLAN, Windows 7, works iPod/iPhone, FLAC, £400 and a decent power rating (though I wish they'd quote for 4, 6 and 8-ohm instead of just the one). This ticks even more boxes than Harman Kardon's gear at the moment...good complement of inputs at the back too.

So, any chance of a test folks?! Here's the Superfi link below...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/7771

...and Onkyo's own page from the UK site:-

http://www.uk.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-8050-43158.html

T

the record spot

Thanks for the updates Andrew and the follow-up with Onkyo. Airplay would be a great bonus, but as it stands, this is a fine looking amp with a great spec. My only reservation would be if it has a similarly bright sound quality as reported in the TX-NR609 5.1 AV receiver which would be a no-no.

Other than that though, this is more where amps should be going for 2-channel to meet the needs of domestic users today I think (IMO obviously). The spec means I could connect my TV, play computer/iPod based digital music files, DLNA connectivity, add a subwoofer, add a power amp, hook it up to the home network so accessing internet radio and the rest...£400.

And people are banging on on some other sites ad nauseum about the wonder of the hopelessly underspecced and out of date Apple TV2? Hello?!?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
Thanks for the updates Andrew and the follow-up with Onkyo. Airplay would be a great bonus, but as it stands, this is a fine looking amp with a great spec. My only reservation would be if it has a similarly bright sound quality as reported in the TX-NR609 5.1 AV receiver which would be a no-no.

You're welcome, but having recently reviewed the Onkyo TX-NR609 for Gramophone (August issue) I have to say I didn't find it at all bright. Exciting, yes; vibrant, definitely – but not overbright.

T

the record spot

That's interesting to hear Andrew - the Hi Fi World review (Noel Keywood) commented on this specifically - accepting it's gone through a different system in the test of course. I checked another site and they mention the smoothness! You're leaning towards the "not bright" side of things...decisions, decisions!

andyman2

May 10, 2009
Visit site
I asked Onkyo EU on twitter re: the implementation of AirPlay on their '11 network products. Apparently they are working on the feasibility of it... So fingers crossed for the 8050. It would be the first stereo amp I believe with AirPlay?

T

the record spot

Just read Andrew's review and very Interesting it is too. The 609 & the 8050 tick most of the boxes for me just now. Just could do with seeing a review for the 8050. Saw some user reviews on a US forum which were very positive.

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Excellent review Andrew.

I'm also interested in possibly getting an AV receiver rather than a stereo amp, for precisely the reasons you state in your review. How does the Onkyo compare (particularly regarding sound quality) to the Yamaha RX-V667 (or it's replacement, the 671) ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
But we have got a comparative test coming up in the mag next month (issue with subscribers from 19th August; in shops/available to download 24th August).

That group test will include reviews of:

Denon AVR-1912

Onkyo TX-NR609

Pioneer VSX-921

Yamaha RX-V671

I believe the Denon AVR-1912 review will also go online as a web exclusive First Test sometime between now and then, too.

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome said:
But we have got a comparative test coming up in the mag next month (issue with subscribers from 19th August; in shops/available to download 24th August).

That group test will include reviews of:

Denon AVR-1912

Onkyo TX-NR609

Pioneer VSX-921

Yamaha RX-V671

I believe the Denon AVR-1912 review will also go online as a web exclusive First Test sometime between now and then, too.

That could be a fun test. I'm less bothered about the Denon or the Pioneer amps, but the Onkyo and the Yamaha will be interesting.

A

Anonymous

Hi everybody! I've just registered to post info on 8050... it's hard to find any reviews. I had my eyes on it since it was introduced, and finally bought it two weeks ago and couldn't be more happy. :dance:

Everything works as it should, USB plays all files I fed into it, mp3, flac, aac... It recognised all USB sticks I tried including Sony mp3 walkman and powered HDD docking station. Manual states it reads only FAT16/32 formatted drives, but that's not true... it has no problem reading my NTFS-formatted Seagate 320GB S-ATA drive. Drive was split in two partitions, and Onkyo recognised both of them.

Internet radio works flawlessly, and you can add stations (not found vith receiver by itself) if you know their IP via your internet browser.

And most important thing - sound... I was afraid that it could be it's weakest point because all the gimmicks added to reciever... I was wrong. I paired it to large Monitor audio B6, beeing the fourth amp I changed in the last 6 years and this is the first one that really got them moving. It lacks some of detail and warmth of my prevoius amp (Sony 570ES) but Sony now sounds like it never played bass... Onkyo is a keeper :grin:

Ask if you have any questions.

T

the record spot

Cool - good news. Congratulations on bringing the first review! Can you give me a little more detail on the sound itself please? Is it bright, well balanaced...I don't need a bright sounding amp and it needs to do a good bass as well (which it sounds like it does)?

A

Anonymous

No, I wouldn't describe it as bright, but to my ears it has a slight loudness effect in the sound... bear in mind that the amp is new and propably still not burned in. When I hooked it up first day from the box, it sounded rather harsh, but after around 10hours of work it got much more pleasant to listen, so it will have to work a lot more to make a final judgement.

Also, I will play with speaker placement this week (currently much less than ideal), and will report in a week or two... stay tuned :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts