Onkyo SR606

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, Ive just put in Star Trek which states it had TrueHD - However the SR606 is showing

PCM MULTICH HDMI DSP Audysssey

But not TrueHD - I am playing the blu ray via a PS3

Is there something I have missed during the setup or can the PS3 not output TrueHD?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This used to be an easy question to answer!

Okay, which PS3 do you have? If it's one of the older "fat" models, then assuming you have the PS3 set to Linear PCM, what you are seeing is totally correct as the older "fat" PS3 cannot bitstream the Dolby TrueHD signal. Instead it decodes it onboard to Multichannel PCM. When it arrives at the amp therefore, it has no idea that it used to be encoded in the Dolby TrueHD format, all it knows is it's Multichannel PCM and therefore that's what it puts on its display. This is not a bad thing and you are still getting HD audio. So "Hooray" etc.!

If on the other hand you have the new slim PS3, you have the option of doing as above, or bitstreaming the audio to the 606 so it can decode. If you do this, then you would see Dolby TrueHD on the amp...

Oxigin

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Professorhat,

Many thanks for your help. I currently have the old fat PS3 Boo !! Thinking of getting a dedicated blu-ray player in the new year sales =)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts