New setup,life after AV

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys I'm new to this but not audio! I've recently sold my high-end onkyo 9.2 AV to concentrate on good old stereo set-up. If it's OK I'm going to let you know what my new secondhand system comprises of and if any of you have heard of,seen or hopefully either owned or heard of any of the main components. Starting of I have a sony ta fb740r amplifier and with two sets of speaker terminals I've opted to keep my main speakers from my AV setup, a beautiful pair of easily driven acoustic solutions powerforce 2000,and for my set B a lovely pair of gale 4040s.. as vinyl and cd are the predominant sources I've splashed out on a rega planer 3,my cd player or should I say players are a very nice technics mash player (can't remember serial number) and a kenwood dp2030. I also have a technics tuner,a sony 3 head 3 motor tape deck, a technics 3 head 3 motor double cassette deck,also thrown in is a trio graphic equalizer and finally a spare socket for my blu Ray player and of course for everything else Alexa in the form of echo dot 3. Most of my new secondhand system I've built and bought (much to the annoyance of my fiancee because of storage!! Both hardware and vinyl/cds) whilst I've been in hospital and rehab. I suffer from MS stage 2 and I had a fall down a couple of steps which has resulted in a tib/fib fracture and a dislocated ankle,I've spent 14 weeks and 2 days in care!! I unfortunately can't go back to the flat as its unreasonable and a lot of other reasons hence now being homeless and moving into TA tomorrow (probably why I can't sleep and I'm writing this essay!) So anyway I've done a lot of research into my new bits and here's hoping that it beats the musicality of my onkyo? Just wondering on some feedback guys and girls if you've got some and any tips will be greatly appreciated,phew the end!!.

treesey

Hi Ian - forgetting about the hifi for a minute I hope you are on the mend.

IMO with hifi, if it sounds good to you then all is well. Also any make quality kit may or may not sound good with other quality kit - there are a million factors.

So I doubt anyone can give you any concrete direction or answers on your current kit.

In your place I might have been tempted by good headphones and high quality portable source and DAC.... but it's no good me saying that now!

I'd just concentrate on mending those bones!

Good luck.

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi Ian - forgetting about the hifi for a minute I hope you are on the mend.

IMO with hifi, if it sounds good to you then all is well. Also any make quality kit may or may not sound good with other quality kit - there are a million factors.

So I doubt anyone can give you any concrete direction or answers on your current kit.

In your place I might have been tempted by good headphones and high quality portable source and DAC.... but it's no good me saying that now!

I'd just concentrate on mending those bones!

Good luck.
Thank you so very much for your lovely kind words. I was planning on running 2 sets of speakers in the same room but have had negative feedback along the lines of that's not getting back to true stereo I should just run a pair,thoughts? After other delving I've decided to use the acoustic solutions powerforce 2000s as my main speakers till I upgrade to speakers around the £400-£500 price range any ideas? The amp I'll eventually upgrade to will be the marantz pm6007. As vinyl will be my primary source I'm OK with my rega planer 3 might need to upgrade cdp as that's my secondary source. Million and one questions like I do have a pair of mission 760is and 731is which were used as surround speakers for the AV system and I was thinking one of those sets could partner the AS ìn the B speakers using the AS as primary on the A connection? I think at the end of the day if I like the sound it's what matters so I'll unpack all old and new and see what works?.just looking for a direction to start in.

treesey

Personally I wouldn't bother with an amp like the 6007 - it won't be a good enough step up. I'd try for the next level and get something 2nd hand. Maybe a Rega or an older Leema Pulse for pure stereo. If you don't get on with such an amp, there's always a keen 2nd-hand market to sell into.

I can't really help with recommendations as I have older stereo kit as I believe sometimes older can be better, but I also want to listen to specific music mastered into 5.1, so I've added a not-new but was-expensive AVR... so that's what you've just sold :)

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Personally I wouldn't bother with an amp like the 6007 - it won't be a good enough step up. I'd try for the next level and get something 2nd hand. Maybe a Rega or an older Leema Pulse for pure stereo. If you don't get on with such an amp, there's always a keen 2nd-hand market to sell into.

I can't really help with recommendations as I have older stereo kit as I believe sometimes older can be better, but I also want to listen to specific music mastered into 5.1, so I've added a not-new but was-expensive AVR... so that's what you've just sold :)
Lol yes I gone the other way diue to the fact of a gorgeous rega planer 3 record player and wanted to go back old school that I remembered owning 30 years ago hence the sony ta fb740r intergrated amplifier . I'm happy with the acoustic solutions powerforce 2000s as main A speakers but wondering which pair of bookshelf speakers to use between a pair of mission 760is or mission 731is to use as B speakers? I'm glad with advice about the marantz amplifier I guess I was changing for the sake of it. I've bought all of my "new" setup secondhand and I really am blown away sometimes by the musicality of my amp speakers and sources. Just looking for some tips on second speakers and any other tips?.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts