Onkyo owners... Just wondering...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Been listening to some music this evening and just wondered what mode most Onkyo listeners use when doing so? The way I see it, there are basically three modes for music listening on the Onkyo AV receivers - Stereo, Direct and Pure Audio and I've come to the conclusion over the last few weeks that one of them is sooo much better than the others.
Out of interest though, I wanted to know what other Onkyo owners thought?

A

Anonymous

Pure direct all the way for for me! its less agressive sounding to my ears! but then i guess the with a different room and different sources and speakers this could change. the only problem i have with pure direct is it cuts out the sub! be a bummer if you had satilites

A

Anonymous

I find 'Studio-Mix' quite agreeable for most CDs. Anyone else tried it?

A

Anonymous

I use 2 Channel Stereo and sometimes All Channel Stereo mode so that all my 7.1 speakers will function.

A

Anonymous

I always listen in pure direct mode. I find it has a more refined range, without any frequency in particularly standing out (for an av amp). Stereo and direct sound the same, both airing on the bright side.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I would have expected Pure Audio to sound the best, but surprisingly Direct Audio wins to my ears. It reproduces a bit more depth and sparkle plus a noticeably wider soundstage, Pure Audio is a bit Denon, i.e. safe sounding. Stereo mode sounds awful!

A

Anonymous

Actually, I've just tried 'Direct' and think I prefer it. How about you, ProfessorHat?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I have the Onkyo 606 with Kef 2002.2 and you are spot on Garethwd.Pure and direct sound awful without the sub.Might as well be coming from next doors window through a toilet pan.Depending on the music,all channel stereo sounds good and wholesome,studiomix also is good for certain types, and last nights proms sounded pretty good on orchestra.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
All very interesting! Actually, for me, Stereo wins out - Pure Audio I find is too clinical and, although Direct isn't too bad, Stereo just seems to add a lot more emotion into the music. The other modes seem to lose the heart and therefore the point of the music from where I'm coming from. Maybe it's not hi-fi I'm looking for I guess, but then it is an AV receiver!
One man's poison though and all that!

A

Anonymous

I've changed my mind again and am sticking with 'Studio Mix', as I found I lost detail with the other modes. How much do you think you'd have to spend on a stereo amp in order to top the Onkyo's (875) musical performance?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
I like stereo best for stereo sources but I often use stero surround on programs with no surround eg some football matches.

A

Anonymous

All channel stereo works nicely for me, but in saying that all 7 of my speakers support full range with ease (no sub needed here!). I know what everyone's saying though - there is a definite compromise using an AVR for "audiophile" playback, but not as much as what I first thought it would be!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:All very interesting! Actually, for me, Stereo wins out - Pure Audio I find is too clinical and, although Direct isn't too bad, Stereo just seems to add a lot more emotion into the music. The other modes seem to lose the heart and therefore the point of the music from where I'm coming from. Maybe it's not hi-fi I'm looking for I guess, but then it is an AV receiver!

One man's poison though and all that!

Totally agree-in pure audio it's like it's actually remove's something from the music instead of allowing it straight through. I've an 875 and when I listened to it back to back with my old alpha8 and 8p, for all the power on paper the 875, in pure audio it couldn't come close to the arcam's, maybe I've become too found of my arcam's though..

A

Anonymous

I have an Onkyo 605 and I've just updated my Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package with a pair of 1020i front speakers and a NAD C515BEE cd player (from a dvd player), the bass with the bigger speakers is a definite improvement but I had only been using the Pure Audio mode. After reading this I starting experimenting and I think professorhat is spot on, listening to something with plenty of bass and great vocals (Nirvana, Teen Spirit for example) Direct mode definitely takes something away and Pure Audio less so but still noticeable.
I thought it was just to do with the the sub under-pining the track very well but I powered off the sub and the same improvement was there.
So my (very) new opinion is to choose Stereo and switch off the sub, option number 4 perhaps?.

Thanks professorhat...

A

Anonymous

Let me correct myself on my previous reply. Stereo is good but Pure Audio sounds realistic and relaxing to me provided that your sub's high-level connection is in use. However, you have to pump up the volume more to appreciate it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
GregoryByrne:I have an Onkyo 605 and I've just updated my Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 package with a pair of 1020i front speakers and a NAD C515BEE cd player (from a dvd player), the bass with the bigger speakers is a definite improvement but I had only been using the Pure Audio mode. After reading this I starting experimenting and I think professorhat is spot on, listening to something with plenty of bass and great vocals (Nirvana, Teen Spirit for example) Direct mode definitely takes something away and Pure Audio less so but still noticeable.
I thought it was just to do with the the sub under-pining the track very well but I powered off the sub and the same improvement was there.
So my (very) new opinion is to choose Stereo and switch off the sub, option number 4 perhaps?.

Thanks professorhat...
No worries, glad it's been of help - this is kind of the reason I asked the question!
Just to clear my own opinion - I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this as it's all down to personal preference. As the above post and my own experimentation shows, it's good to test these things out as I just assumed when I first started that Pure Audio would be the mode to listen music in and it was only when I started playing around I eventually decided that I actually preferred the Stereo mode.

A

Anonymous

I think Pure Audio works best if you are using the high-level connection of your subwoofer. It will open up your music. Try it!

Sliced Bread

I have to agree that (for me) the order is Stereo, Direct and then Pure Direct (audessey disabled in all modes). I know this goes against the grain, but for some reason I lose my mid range with the Pure Direct mode making vocals sound thin.

I also have to agree with daherne1. My father has an Arcam Alpha 3 (just replaced with a Roksan Kandy 3) and it has a lovely sound!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just as an update to this, funnily enough, I had a party at the weekend and so was using mostly music streamed from the Mac through Airport Express (something I rarely do in normal listening scenarios). Setting the whole thing up before the party got going, I wasn't happy with the sound on the Onkyo's Stereo setting. I changed it to Pure Audio mode and, like a flash, it was instantly much better. My previous results were all from playing music from my Marantz CD player.
So it would seem the result is very much dependent on the source - which makes a lot of sense when you think about it!

Sliced Bread

professorhat:Just as an update to this, funnily enough, I had a party at the weekend and so was using mostly music streamed from the Mac through Airport Express (something I rarely do in normal listening scenarios). Setting the whole thing up before the party got going, I wasn't happy with the sound on the Onkyo's Stereo setting. I changed it to Pure Audio mode and, like a flash, it was instantly much better. My previous results were all from playing music from my Marantz CD player.
So it would seem the result is very much dependent on the source - which makes a lot of sense when you think about it!

Thats funny...I've had a similar experience myself. I always preferred the 905 in Stereo, however more recently it sounds clearly better in Pure Audio. I wonder if this is a 'running in thing'as in the past it always sounded a bit harsh in Pure Audio. Perhaps the Stereo setting somehow subdued this as it is less revealing.

The other factor is that I added a Clearer Audio Copper Line Alpha mains cable to the amp and CD player, which also had significant improvement in the sound quality. I also placed the Amp on a proper hifi rack, which gave it a clear lift. Professorhat did I read that you were experimenting with mains cables too. If so, that may be the answer. Perhaps the Pure Audio setting on the amp is more susceptible to the benefits / problems associated with mains supplies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts