onkyo cp1050

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
just seen this new model from onyko, looks pretty hefty and substantial , very much like the old pioneer decks of the 70's, anyone got one ? going for about £400 atm in richers but reckon the price will drop, wonder how it stacks up againts the similar priced project carbons

matthewpiano

Its certainly a very attractive looking turntable and I find the 70s image, reminiscent of Pioneer, JVC and even Thorens decks of years gone by, very appealing myself. How good it is likely to be is anyone's guess until somebody actually hears it and has a play with it.

The in-grained hi-fi purist in me reverts to the whole 'Pro-ject Debut Carbon or Rega RP1 Performance Pack will be far better', but it is all too easy to fall into that trap and the Onkyo seems to be a pretty honest looking piece of kit to me.

matthewpiano

Having said all that the Onkyo has certain features that mark it out as an OEM built device. The arm is clearly a Hanpin product, as used on the DJ turntables that they make for a range of brands including Audio Technica, and the Direct Drive motor is their lower spec one used on the same models.

One thing you can be sure of is that with a Pro-ject or Rega deck you will get a better quality arm.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Having said all that the Onkyo has certain features that mark it out as an OEM built device. The arm is clearly a Hanpin product, as used on the DJ turntables that they make for a range of brands including Audio Technica, and the Direct Drive motor is their lower spec one used on the same models.

One thing you can be sure of is that with a Pro-ject or Rega deck you will get a better quality arm.

yes , i do think this was built by the chinese brand, to a spec quoted by onkyo, but is that a bad thing ? those dj decks like the audiotechnics 1240lp will be built solidly to minimise vibration knowing that they will be used in demanding sitiations, which can only be a good thing for the sound ??, however, there will be compimises like a cheaper tonearm, infact the whf review give the audiotechnica four stars at £500 (now £350)so these decks must sound decent enough, but it looks to blingy

I will stick with my trusty old technics , which is probably better built, as its based on the 1200, any upgrade i will be looking at the rega's or projects firsts, like the looks of that onkyo though, and maybe if they drop the price it *might* become a good buy. the wow and flutter is very low , comparable to the project decks in fact,

matthewpiano

I have to say I've got a really good sounding system, but I do miss that proper 70s feel of substantial looking and feeling components. When I look at the current Onkyo range products such as the C7030 CD player, A9030 and A9050 amps, and the CP1050 turntable it is startling how affordable a system like this is, and sometimes I do wonder how much we all get swept up into this whole 'audiophile' thing instead of having the sheer fun that hi-fi always used to be.

As for wow and flutter I think that can be an issue with a lot of turntables. The Rega RP3 is pretty hopeless for long string sounds etc. without upgrading to the white belt and adding the TT PSU. I'd expect the Onkyo and similar to be at least as good if not better than the minimalist Regas and Pro-jects in this respect.

I also wouldn't expect any of the Hanpin DDs to be as solid as the Technics SL1210s. The Technics decks were built beautifully and their drive motors were pretty much a work of art. I reckon they'd sell for high hundreds now if Panasonic found the sense to bring them back.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I have to say I've got a really good sounding system, but I do miss that proper 70s feel of substantial looking and feeling components. When I look at the current Onkyo range products such as the C7030 CD player, A9030 and A9050 amps, and the CP1050 turntable it is startling how affordable a system like this is, and sometimes I do wonder how much we all get swept up into this whole 'audiophile' thing instead of having the sheer fun that hi-fi always used to be.

As for wow and flutter I think that can be an issue with a lot of turntables. The Rega RP3 is pretty hopeless for long string sounds etc. without upgrading to the white belt and adding the TT PSU. I'd expect the Onkyo and similar to be at least as good if not better than the minimalist Regas and Pro-jects in this respect.

I also wouldn't expect any of the Hanpin DDs to be as solid as the Technics SL1210s. The Technics decks were built beautifully and their drive motors were pretty much a work of art. I reckon they'd sell for high hundreds now if Panasonic found the sense to bring them back.

you are be right about the hanpin decks in their many disguises being inferior to technics, take a look at this guy who took one apart, its a bit long winded , but skip to the microphony feedback test near the end , shocking compared to the technics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

matthewpiano

Yeah, on balance there are other cheaper decks I'd rather have than the Onkyo. For a start off the 70s Pioneer PL12D can still sound blooming good if it is set up well. I'd say the same of certain marks of the Sansui SR222 and also some Duals like the CS505-4.

Direct Drive only shows its true benefits when it is engineered properly. Years ago I had a Sansui P-D15 Direct Drive turntable and it was a nightmare. Too much plastic and a tendency to waver in speed far more than any belt drive I've had. At least the CP1050 would beat that I suppose.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I am still toying with the idea of changing my 1970's technics 1300 which I got for £60 of loot ! but everytime i listen with the AudioTechnica cartidge on and azur 651P phono it brings a smile to my face, and think whats the point , maybe the project carbon or rega3 may better it ? the speed wavers on 45 rpm , but rock solid on 33 I mostly listen to 33 rpm, so not an issue, its not the motor but a dirty pot most likley , I do like the look of these 1970s technics and pioneer decks ,

I agree, the hanpin copies are best avoided, the newly realeased teac tn300 also looks interesting and i dont think its a hanpin ! as its belt driven, but not sure , doubt it betters the equivilent priced project carbon

matthewpiano

Hard to know as Hanpin do make belt drive turntables as well. However, the Teac doesn't betray those origins with any of its major parts like the Onkyo does and there are videos on YouTube which at least show that it works. The packaged AT95 cartridge is a good thing as well. Very pretty turntable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yeah, on balance there are other cheaper decks I'd rather have than the Onkyo. For a start off the 70s Pioneer PL12D can still sound blooming good if it is set up well. I'd say the same of certain marks of the Sansui SR222 and also some Duals like the CS505-4.

The Dual is still a currently manufactured TT and costs around 500 - 600 Euros.

Search for it on google.de or amazon.de.

plattenspieler_dual_cs_505_4_bild_1346152943.jpg

Probably built by the same company who make the suspiciously Dual-like entry-level Thorens decks.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
[/quote]

you are be right about the hanpin decks in their many disguises being inferior to technics, take a look at this guy who took one apart, its a bit long winded , but skip to the microphony feedback test near the end , shocking compared to the technics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzMcH2ZbtU

[/quote]

After a couple of failed attempts to secure myself a quality, as in near mint technics SL1210 I began to consider the Pioneer as a possible option. Like matthewpiano stated there's definitely something reassuring about a weighty piece of 70/80's kit that is the stuff of legend. I know there are many on here that dislike the Technics and their ilk but I'm drawn to the ugly ducklings, the industrial looking components of the hifi landscape. I miss my old Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck massively...

The Pionner received an excellent write up on Sterophile.com which resulted in my finger hovering about that 'Buy Now' button, then I saw the above linked Youtube video and my heart sank. So instead I opted for a safe bet, a very bland and non offensive Pro-ject deck, it arrives Friday.

matthewpiano

Just bringing this thread back up as I heard the Onkyo today, through a Timestep phono stage, TEAC 501 headphone amp and some Denon headphones. Cartridge was a Denon DL-series. The Onkyo is actually nicely made, VERY steady on speed, and with the Denon cart on it sounds superb.

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
interesting, I am looking for a new deck to replace my ageing 1300, the project carbon is on my hit list, but the looks of this and the teac (forgot the model number) tempt me, but cant get over the fact its a hanpin and not a proper onkyo, even though they will have provided hanpin with their specs to bulid it

what was it about the sound other than the accurate speed,

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Thorens are being a bit coy re where some of their turntables are made but rumour has it some are made in the far East? I said on another thread, that my first choice for a far East made turntable is the Teac TN300, impeccable build quality from a Taiwan factory with a Teac designed arm? and belt drive, and one of the lowest speed stability figures quoted as 0.2%, I listened to one at Richer Sounds recently fitted with a AT A95 E (I think that was the one) cartridge and it blew some of the cheap Projects away. Read some of the readers reviews, this might be my second deck for the workshop and in that lovely Cherry red plinth. Wife thinks it looks 10 times better than that 'plank' she calls my Rega Planar 3/RB300.

CM

TRENDING THREADS