Best way to Listen to Spotify!?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately mate I spent as much time fixing it as I did listening to it.

Wouldn't join my wirless or wouldn't login to my squeezebox or wouldn't see my server etc etc |(

Brillaint when it worked - when I found out Logitech were going to stop making them it was the final straw.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
andy_holl said:
This is how I did it npoguy - as Frog says - Tiode:

It's a poist I found on a forum - worked for me:

Squeezebox Duet + Spotify = SOLVED. I had the same problem as swiper696 (Triode 3rd party plugin disabled by official Spotify app) and here is the solution, enjoy: 1) Open Squeezebox server web control, remove the Spotify app (green icon) if it exists: Select My Apps > App gallery. Locate Spotify and ensure that it is uninstalled. 2) Go back to Squeezebox server web control. Click Settings at the bottom right. Go to the Plugins tab. In the section Active Plugins, make sure to _uncheck_ Spotify. 3) Remain on the Plugin page and scroll to the bottom and check "Show all 3rd party plugins ". In the "Additional repositories" edit field enter http://triodeplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo.xml. Click Apply at the bottom right corner (don't miss this). 4) Wait until the server restarts. Return to the Plugin settings page (you may have to refresh the Settings page now). Under "Active plugins" you should now find "Spotify v. 1.3.4". Far right on that line click Settings. Fill in your Spotify account + password, and other settings. Click Apply at the bottom right. 5) Now you can find Spotify (Orange icon) under Internet radio in Squeezebox. Works like charm. Piece of cake don't you think ;-) Niklas

Weirdly. I still have the official Spotify app installed. And it works just fine.

2 duets and an android...

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
andy_holl said:
Hey Fred,

Search for me - Andy Hollingworth, I've got a whole load of playlists - hope you find some stuff you like!

With regard to a music server - what about one of those Intel Nuc boxes?

I'm tempted to build one and put windows 8 and xbmc on it.

Hi Andy...

Can't find you under that name?????

Try linking to one of my Spotty playlists with this link: Crackers then I can 'follow' you back..

As for the music server - after advice on these forums, I'm leaning towards a mac min, you can get an older one cheap, it can even use Windows, but XBMC has a buld for most OS's..look here:-

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/macmini-as-a-music-server

Regards: Fred

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Fred_Barker said:
Now that's an idea - Fireplace!!
There used to be a real fireplace before I pursuaded the wife we never use it and demolished it and that's where the TV is now.
Is there a placebo effect whilst watching the flames dancing that makes you think its warmer in the room than it is??

Saly not, in my case. It does at least look warm and cozy though :)

QMarK

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm late to the party, but this topic had me sleepless at night lately. There is a lot of information concerning Apple/itunes ecosystem when discussing aptx and bluetooth to play streaming services (I'm on Rdio but I guess it's the same). What about Windows and their media player? And is there a better option than WMP?

Thanks!

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok so there's nothing more frustrating than when the OP never posts saying what they did in the end thus rendering the original post pointless.

I'm still chruning over all the possible solutions and still change my mind on an almost daily basis.

In the mean time I have been playing with foobar2000 as a means to play music on Windows and after quite a bit of faff have got it worked out and have a nice skin on it, also downloaded the app for Android to control it which works really well and looks good. With than in mind I think I may make do with plugging a netbook (used for XBMC too at the moment, very tempted to build a dedicated machine on an Intel NUC) into my Onkyo tx-sr608 and play music like this in the living room for the time being - this is what I've been doing in my "man's room" up stairs where I have my PC.

I'm tempted to get a little DAC/Headphone amp and some reasonable headphones in the mean time. Having a 7 month old in the house there are limited opportunities to listen to music at a reasonable level without the wife marching in and turning it down 30 seconds in :shame:

I'm thinking along the lines of Arcam rPac, Audio Engine D1, HRT Micro Streamer plus at set of AKG 550's - but I'm going to post that in a different forum!!!

My thinking is that it will give me a portable solution to take wherever I go and that I can tranfer between the living room and the "mans room" upstairs. Also it's something like a £300 outlay and will always be useful even if I go more high end eventually due to the portibility.

It's a shame logitech pulled the squeezebox - it's left a real whole in the market. I'm tempted by the simplicity and ease of use of Sonos, I'm just not convinced it's worth the money and they haven't changed the hardware I'm interested much for years. Plus Bluesound looks like a proper rival to Sonos, if /when it becomes available in the UK and can play "HD music". Not that I have any HD music, the process of ripping my library to Flac is going well but that's all 16bit which sonos can handle fine and my other requirement is Spotify but again that's 320kbps which Sonos can handle fine.

The dedicated seperates are all cheap at the mo, suggesting new models are on the way, plus it seems silly spending money on one to plug into an AV amp.

I also toyed with the idea of just getting a new amp like the highly regarded Yamaha 673 which streams Flac and has Airplay but there's a few reasons's I've decided against that.

Mondays solution was an Arcam rDac with the USB wireless dongle (£250 for both at Richer Sounds at the moment), I thought I could also get an rcube to take around the house too. It's not a bad idea, again I think they may be due a replacements and would cost me a similar amount to the portable solution but not have the flexibility.

Having moved into a new house a year a go there are far more sensible :cry: things to be spending my money on at the moment so instead I'm putting a bit aside hoping that one day I'll be able to go out and buy some really nice kit.

I'll upgrade the speakers first to a traditional setup rather than style speakers, make sure they have good front speakers for stereo music and then treat myself to a stereo amp plus DAC and some sort of streamer or get a one box solution like the Naim UnityQute2, Thats a fair amount of money (at least to me) and a few years away yet!

Anyway if I buy something I'll post to let you all know what I got and if it's any good!!!

Thanks for all the responses!

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
QMarK said:
I'm afraid I'm late to the party, but this topic had me sleepless at night lately. There is a lot of information concerning Apple/itunes ecosystem when discussing aptx and bluetooth to play streaming services (I'm on Rdio but I guess it's the same). What about Windows and their media player? And is there a better option than WMP?

Thanks!

If you install the Shark codec packs you can play pretty much anything with media player, I quite like WMP, particularly the interface, the Windows 8 music app is quite nice looking too.

Those serious about computer based audio seem to use Foobar2000, Winamp or JRiver in combination with a DAC. It takes a bit of messing around - if you're that way inclined then messing around is half the fun, I don't mind it hence my Foobar2000 adventure over the last couple of weeks - however I do like it when things just get plugged in and work!!!!!

QMarK

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the Shark codec. I never heard about that before. And I'm giving a serious look at foobar.

What about aptx and windows 7. Do I need to install something to get it going. I'm thinking a lot about the rblink these days...

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
I had a look at the rblink too.

You'll probably need to buy a bluetooth dongle if you don't already have one (doubt onboard bluetooth will support it).

Not many bluetooth device are APTX compliant (most are AD2P) at the moment, think it's more a hardware thing so once both side are APTX compliant that's it - no software side configuration.....I think.

QMarK

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm also looking at the Audioengine W3 wireless kit. They claim 16/44 lossless transmission, which obviously is ok for CD quality level, and more than enough for Spotify/Rdio/Mog services. The internal DAC won't allow HD transfer (higher than 16/44) but for streaming, that could be the best solution. It seems to be more reliable than Bluetooth, which even with aptx is locked at 320 kbps (unless I'm mistaken). So, that could be a very good straming solution.

andy_holl

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So if anyone is still following I bought an rPAC from Richer Sounds today and impressed so far.

Auditioned some headphones too, probably gonna get myself some Grado SR80i's at the end of the Month.

For wireless streaming in the living room I'm going to get an Airport Express off ebay having done a bit of research on Airplay.

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Ciao sono un neofita e spero mi scuserete......

Ho sonos 1 play e poi ho comprato airstream della neet wi-fi receiver,

presi singolarmente funzionano

ma se io volessi indirizzare il flusso sonos all airstream (che mi consente anche di dirigere il suono al mio impianto hi-fi tradizionale) come posso fare ho provato di tutto

ora l'unica cosa che posso fare è mettere in libreria sonos la cartella di musica e tutti i brani e poi tramite itunes ridirigerlo verso airstream ma già cosi non funziona e poi io vorrei fare il contrario duplicare il flusso di sonos a mandarlo anche su airstream e quindi sullo stereo !!! sarebbe l'ideale

ma non ho idee

Secondo voi si puo fare? magari con qualche applicazione che riesce a ridirigere..........??

Grazie molte a tutti!

Fozzie55

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread, I have just got into Spotify and set up an old iPhone 4 in a dock next to my old Sony Amp and new Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers.

I had it plugged into the 3.5mm out of the dock first but read it is better to Airplay through Airport Express which I have done. That is better as I can pick up the iPhone as a remote and control tracks away from the Amp. I get the occasional drop out though, which I didn't get wired.

I want to upgrade my amp.

Thought about a Sonos Connect:Amp but also thinking of an Amp with a DAC and USB input from the dock of the iPhone. My wife would like a CD player but I am converting her to Spotify. I have the Music Quality set at Extreme, we have fast Internet.

I would like ideas on an Amp please, budget £250 - £400, best quality for Spotify, iPad and WD My Book Live (networked hard drive)

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts