One for David at FrankHarveyHifi : Amp for Spendor SA1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm curious and would like to draw on your experiences with kit if I may. This is a bit subjective, but what amp(s) have you used with the Spendor SA1 that you think does them justice? I know you could easily say a £5k amp but at what point do you think you go from driving them well to driving them to a point that they "do their thing"? Cheers!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi igglebert

I can't say I've used th SA1's extensively with loads of other kit, it's been mainly with Naim, which they work very well with. I wouldn't mind hearing what they do on the end of the Bryston BP26/4Bsst2 - I know that souds excessive, but once you've heard a speaker driven properly (overdriven you might say), you get more of an idea of what the speaker should sound like.

Off the top of my head, I'd be looking at something like a SuperNait, or a 152xs/15xs combo. I've not tried them on the SAI2-150 yet, but that'll be an interesting one.

I am soon to start doing some mini reviews I suppose you could call them - no A/B/X testing, no measuring etc, just basic reviews in plain English about te good points and bad points of products, how they compare to their nearest equivalent model, and which other products they match up better with. I've promised a couple of people I'll start with the Bryston and Naim DAC's, but after that I'm hoping to get enough time to review a couple of things every week.

If you want, I can try the SA1's out with a few amps on Saturday - something tells me it's going to be a very quiet day.....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Hi igglebert

I can't say I've used th SA1's extensively with loads of other kit, it's been mainly with Naim, which they work very well with. I wouldn't mind hearing what they do on the end of the Bryston BP26/4Bsst2 - I know that souds excessive, but once you've heard a speaker driven properly (overdriven you might say), you get more of an idea of what the speaker should sound like.

Off the top of my head, I'd be looking at something like a SuperNait, or a 152xs/15xs combo. I've not tried them on the SAI2-150 yet, but that'll be an interesting one.

I am soon to start doing some mini reviews I suppose you could call them - no A/B/X testing, no measuring etc, just basic reviews in plain English about te good points and bad points of products, how they compare to their nearest equivalent model, and which other products they match up better with. I've promised a couple of people I'll start with the Bryston and Naim DAC's, but after that I'm hoping to get enough time to review a couple of things every week.

If you want, I can try the SA1's out with a few amps on Saturday - something tells me it's going to be a very quiet day.....
emotion-2.gif

Cool, cheers David, I'd love to hear your thoughts. It's great to have you on here!

SteveR750

One for 'bert, or anybody, how do Spendor S3e compare to SA1s, and both the S6e?

I'm wondering if the S6es are just too big for my room, and since I might have to go move again soon to probably an even smaller house then I was thinking standmount, plus I miss the super fast 'agility' of a smaller speaker.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:
One for 'bert, or anybody, how do Spendor S3e compare to SA1s, and both the S6e?

I'm wondering if the S6es are just too big for my room, and since I might have to go move again soon to probably an even smaller house then I was thinking standmount, plus I miss the super fast 'agility' of a smaller speaker.

I've not heard the S3e so I can't really help. I've heard it said (seen on another forum) that the S3e has more bass; I can't imagine it's better bass though! If you fancy hearing the SA1 and are near Oundle then you're welcome to pop in...

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Hi igglebert

emotion-2.gif

I'll look forward to the reviews of the dacs, especially the naim one which ive heard very positive things about.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:SteveR750:

I've not heard the S3e so I can't really help. I've heard it said (seen on another forum) that the S3e has more bass; I can't imagine it's better bass though! If you fancy hearing the SA1 and are near Oundle then you're welcome to pop in...

Oundle! That's a bit of a blow. I was hoping for somewhere a lot closer to home!
emotion-6.gif
Yes, I would love to compare the SA1 against the S3e models in a direct match.

Of course, I've not heard the SA1s so cannot comment on them, unfortunately. Obviously, Igglebert thinks the world of them.
emotion-5.gif

My S3e speakers, purchased at a knock-down price on, may I say, on Igglebert's advice, are proving a most satisfactory investment. I wouldn't say they are particularly powerful in the bass department. Maybe for their size they do have a strong bass, but I am glad to say that it is sensible, not dominating. The S3e model has great capability in the mid to upper range to provide a sound that builds upon the bass foundation. Admittedly, I've not had a chance to listen to anything better than, or properly comparable to, the S3e, so all I can report on is my experience of their clarity and precision together with a very appealing overall smoothness to underpin that top end. I really like and enjoy what I am hearing, but would also welcome the opportunity to compare and contrast with others.

John Duncan

FrankHarveyHiFi:I am soon to start doing some mini reviews I suppose you could call them - no A/B/X testing, no measuring etc, just basic reviews in plain English about te good points and bad points of products, how they compare to their nearest equivalent model, and which other products they match up better with. I've promised a couple of people I'll start with the Bryston and Naim DAC's, but after that I'm hoping to get enough time to review a couple of things every week.

You subjectivist phool, you...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:You subjectivist phool, you...

emotion-2.gif

I'm just not one for specs - while some have some importance, I feel they don't tell the whole story. It's what a product sounds like, and how it interacts with the rest of user's system that's important.

I'm sure a certain forum would be falling all or themselves to call me names - who cares? I'm used to that
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Good stuff David, see if you can get some suggy gear on the end of the A6 speakers, would like your opinions. John

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Sorry, not a dealer for Sugden!
emotion-6.gif

Oh that,s a shame, but there you go nows your opporchancity to speak to them and see if you can become a stockist, tell them about your review process, you might be in with a shout.

A

Anonymous

I can confirm that with my Supernait and SA1s really sing, just listening right now to a Bruch violin concerto absolutely wonderful.

A

Anonymous

Heard the SA1's with Naim and Cyrus, they both worked a treat with them. Couldnt say what else does as the shop owner didnt want to move around anymore amps.

A

Anonymous

OK David, will stop playing silly beggers now...
emotion-2.gif

Don't know how I could keep getting your name wrong though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts