Older CD players v.s. new models.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hello All,

I have a Marantz CD17 (MK 1) which is about 8 - 9 years old now.

I have been looking around at CD players, and wondering if the newer DAC / transport technologies have bought about dramatic improvements over a player such as the CD17.

For example, some of the current players e.g. Marantz CD6002, Cambridge 640 etc. seem to get rave reviews.

However, how do these compare against a player such as the CD17? Is it possible to spend say, £200 - £400 (now) and get a player that can equal or better the CD17?

Or, would I have to spend another £800 to get an equivalent player?

As an aside, I have an old Pioneer PD6700 - and even this doesn't sound too bad! (perhaps my hearing has gone lol!)

Thanks for reading,

Tony.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony,

It's one of those that can really only be answered by taking your CD17 to a dealer and comparing it. I tend to believe that you would probably be looking at something like the Cyrus 6SE to make a big difference.

But it really is down to your ears - if you try the 6002 and love it - great! Most dealers would be happy to accomodate you - just make sure you set yourself an upper price limit, and if there are no players within the limit that make a significant (and worthwhile) difference, thank them for their time and walk away.

All the best,

FBSF.

A

Anonymous

Interesting question. You CD17 is a cracking player with excellent build quality, a good solid case and I expect a decent power supply. They must count for something when making comparisons to new kit in the budget arena.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Interesting question. Your CD17 is a cracking player with excellent build quality, a good solid case and I expect a decent power supply. They must count for something when making comparisons to new kit in the budget arena.

Indeed it is well built - I did have a brief flirtation with a Cambridge 640C (MK1 version) which had a buzzy mains transformer. I ended up replacing the mains transformer myself, with two toroidals (one for the servo section, one for the audio section), and it wasn't a bad sounding player. Although the CD17 always seems to just pip everything else I've tried (within my budget) at the post in extended listening tests.

Given the performance of the Cambridge, I remain convinced that there must be something out there, in the £400 bracket, that must equal or better the CD17....

-- Tony.

A

Anonymous

Maybe something like the Musical Fidelity XRay 8, heavily reduced to c.£500. Neutral, smooth, insightful, quiet, a worthy competitor I'm sure.

matthewpiano

Give the Cambridge 740C a go. Far far better than the 640c IMO and might just give you the improvement you are looking for. Some while previous to getting the 740 stuff I tried both the 540 and 640 ranges and they just didn't do it for me, but the 740 is the best CD player I've ever had (and that includes 2 Arcam CD73s).

T

the record spot

I'd be surprised if the CA 640C or the like in that price band would better it to be honest. The CD17 was a more than capable deck for the price. If you want to change though, there are a few deals on the SA7001 KI-Signature (got mine for £300 from £650 new) and that's a cracking player - CD replay is brilliant, SACD no shakes either.

Great midband, sweet treble, good bass (needs to be partnered with beefy amps, speakers or a good cable like Nordost Blue Heaven to bring it out though - don't put it with lean sounding partners).

If it was me, I'd point you towards - depending on your sonic preferences - the Eastern Electric Minimax, Cyrus 6SE, Exposure 3010s, Creek's Evo (I think it is), or the Marantz current circa- £1100 player, the SA15-S1 which also has stereo SACD capability. Yamaha's S1000 might also be up your street too. All players are in the £800-£1100 bracket.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I am becoming really confused after reading these threads. First heres a list of my current set up.

Rotel Michi RHC10 passive pre-amp

Marantz CD17MKii K.I signature

Event ASP6 Powered Studio Monitorsÿ

The system sounds great but i am looking to upgrade in the near future. I really do not want to sell my cd17 as i am thinking of sending it to be upgraded internally at some point. What if i brought a cyrus DAC X which in the future i could upgrade with a new pcb? or any good quality DAC? Would i really hear a big difference in sound quality?

I've read that someone who had the same cd17 and brought a ÿhigh end audio alchemy dac which didnt make a difference at all to the cd17MKii K.I

i've also been reading that if i use a DAC then i can use any cd player because it will be cutting out most of the cd players components. is this true?

I was thinking of getting the marantz cd6002 but preffered the sound of the cd17. When looking at the specs of the cd6002, the dac was a newer one then the one found in their LATEST higher end sacd player which go for over 1000 pounds.

What would be the best thing to do, get a DAC or get a better cd player?ÿ

ÿThanks

A

Anonymous

The CD17 is still a very fine sounding CDP, you'd have to spend quite a lot to really improve on the sound. When I bought mine (used) the guy that sold it bought a Musical Fidelity A5, he said the difference wasn't as big as you might expect.

With the CD17MKII KI i'd experiment with a different DAC first.

John Duncan

I wouldn't even think about replacing the CD17. It's close to state of the art (even with intervening years). I don't know your monitors, but assuming the passive preamp is of high quality, that's the only place I;d be looking for improvement. PMC, ATC, Tannoy, AVI, all do active monitors which may (a big 'may', with no knowledge of your current ones) improve on what you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts