Old or new

KindredSpirit

Nov 12, 2003
Visit site
I have an old Quad 44/405. The 44 needs repair, the 405 needs a service urgently. I have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2s and an Arcam cd73. I haven't been able to listen to music for nearly 2 years. Do I have Quads fixed/upgraded? What would a similar modern amp be and what cost, £3, 5, 700? What amp wouldn't be worth buying for use with BX2s eg Naims, Cyrus, Roksan. I listen to a wide range of music, Billy Cobham style Jazz, progressive rock Floyd, Genesis, Rush, Yes etc, classical, solo voices. I don't listen at loud levels but I want to be able to close my eyes and experience a precise 3D sound stage. For now it is the amp that needs attention.

Gray

Sounds like the old Quads have served you well (got my 32 year old FM4 out the other day and was reminded how good that still is)

You'll probably get plenty of recommendations for new amps - e.g. Cyrus from me which, at the time, I chose over Roksan and Arcam - but you may well have chosen differently and that's the point of course - only you know what sounds right to you.

Everyone has their favourites. May well be tempting to buy blind. But the only sensible advice is to listen to new stuff, compare with your old amp and if you do decide new amp is worthwile......be prepared to upgrade source / speakers as upgrade fever may just be starting - a merry-go-round ride that many of us are hoping will one day stop.

Good luck, hope any new amp lasts as long as your Quads did.

K

keeper of the quays

I believe if you can get them to Cambridge quad will repair and service them.they serviced my 909 came back different amp! Lol..better!!! Highly recommend this route..its no expensive either...i upgraded my kit recently..bought a musical fidelity htp 6000 for £170 off eBay, paired it with my quad 909..my mate had already done this..i had reservations as it's a Av pre amp and I'm a analogue dinosaur and was quite happy with my audiolab pre amp..but listening to mf/quad combination changed my mind! I listen to much the same music as you...but beware of poor recordings...the musical fidelity pre amp won't put up with them....theres a pair of AE1mk3 on internet for £460...pair these up with quad/mf? Your then in high end land...im live by the sea in east Sussex, if your near? Come and listen to my kit..its same as above! Is I have every rush album ever made! Lol...

K

keeper of the quays

My mate got his quad tuner out the other day too..he thought it better than the dab tuner he has? Lol...fm miles better..however not many stations..

KindredSpirit

Nov 12, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions so far. I have forgotten what my Quad was like, as it failed two days after I got the speakers, 2 years ago. I don't mind keeping the Quads once upgraded just curious if Cyrus, Naim etc offer more detail. Why no music for two years?........simply couldn't afford to have them repaired. Still can't really but two years is enough for anyone.

Gray

Detail is what you'll get with Cyrus. I got my (relatively old) Cyrus 8 new for £720 but their latest models are considerably more expensive - usually - but check out these prices on the recently discontinued 6a & 8a models (black only)

http://www.audio-express.co.uk/BRANDLIST.php?brand=CYR

Much as I like Quad (e.g. my FM4) I'm certain you would find an 8a altogether more lively and detailed than your (repaired / serviced) 44/405

And for £400 I think it would be hard (if not impossible) to buy anything new that would beat that half price 6a.

If they're better than mine (likely) these are bargains. An 8a for less than I paid for my 8. I'm tempted myself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts