OK ---Decision Time

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just bought a pair of Monitor Audio RS5's and I'm looking to get a centre speaker to go with it. Choices are -- MA RSCLR (secondhand) this would be the obvious one, MA RXCLR (new) , and MA GSCLR (secondhand) recommended by David from Frank Harvey HiFi (thanks) . This will be the last upgrade for a while ( thought the wife wouldn't notice the new RS5's being swapped for my old Missions but she did!! [:$]) which should I go for bearing in mind that 2 of the 3 are on an auction site and they both finish very soon?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Nearly went for the one recommended by david myself & then changed my mind & went for a set of Dali Ikons. UI would recommend the MA GSCLR though as a good choice hope you win it.

regards

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd imagine any of the 3 would be a step up.
Obviously the GS is the quality of the lot but can't help feeling a good RS centre might be more at home with the RS Fronts.
But better qualified people have suggested the GS and for that reason perhaps go for that.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
richardw42:I'd imagine any of the 3 would be a step up. Obviously the GS is the quality of the lot but can't help feeling a good RS centre might be more at home with the RS Fronts. But better qualified people have suggested the GS and for that reason perhaps go for that.

Thanx Richard, I wasn't expecting to spend £300 ish for a centre but if it's going to work well then i can bite the bullet I guess. See how things pan out..

A

Anonymous

i dont see the point in getting a gold centre ? will you then want gold sig left and right fronts at some point ? i think a silver rscl or whatever its called would be perfect , put the money you save towards something else ..

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I wasn't out for the gold but it was highly recommended. I don't expect to upgrade the fronts that I have any time soon so whatever I get for the centre will be the best I can have.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Ronald Archiebald:

Grdunn123,

The MA RSCLR should match your RS5's nicely.

Ronald

Only fly in the ountment is that they are few and far between and i may end up paying £170-180 or more the way things are looking. For about a ton more I could have the RX or the GS.....what would you do?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RXLCR won't match in well with the RS5's as the RX series is a far more laid back and smoother sound than the RS series. The best two matches are the GSLCR which is tonally more like the RS (many of our customers took this option when the RS centres had ran out) or the RSLCR.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
grdunn123:Ronald Archiebald:

Grdunn123,

The MA RSCLR should match your RS5's nicely.

Ronald

Only fly in the ountment is that they are few and far between and i may end up paying £170-180 or more the way things are looking. For about a ton more I could have the RX or the GS.....what would you do?

I would get the MA RSCLR, as I have suggested to you. I would not consider the other two options.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

The RXLCR won't match in well with the RS5's as the RX series is a far more laid back and smoother sound than the RS series. The best two matches are the GSLCR which is tonally more like the RS (many of our customers took this option when the RS centres had ran out) or the RSLCR.

Thanks again David for your advice...I'm watching an RSCLR on the ubiquitous auction website which is about to finish in the next few hours. Other than that it would appear that the GSCLR is the only other option albeit at about twice the cost of the RS. Not sure which way to jump at present although I'm not sure what the RS is worth second hand

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
richardw42:I got my RS6s so cheap cos nobody seemed to want them in silver. I think the silver looks great. Good choice !!!!

Thanks Richard, I think so too! Are they hard to keep clean and shiny?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Tbh - not my forte !! But I'd have thought a dry cloth every now & then and no jammy fingers all should be fine.
No kids so they're pretty much left alone

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:

Thanks for taking the time to put me in touch with a seller. Sale has been agreed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts