D

Deleted member 201267

Has anyone heard or owned them?

Apparently their timing and have unbeatable clarity, although they look very basic.
I guess you have read this thread from the archives :-

I guess you have read this thread from the archives :-
Crikey, they divide opinion. NVA and AVI are well matched in that respect.

I heard a NVA system at the Hifi Wigwam show - before the pandemic so maybe it was 2019. It was very impressive and live sounding. It was mostly live recordings, especially Eric Clapton. The founder and owner was doing the demo, but he didn’t look 100% fit. He also ran a forum called hifi subjectivist or similar.

Sadly he died not long after. His chief engineer together with a long-time fan apparently bought the business between them. That’s what you see now. I’ve not heard anything since, but I applaud their difference and sincerity. They are obviously small as they’re only just reached a scale to become VAT registered. If you buy before 30th September it’s VAT free! I’ve looked at their power amps and there’s a lot to like.

There’s obviously a lot more here…https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Last edited:

Amormusic

Mar 12, 2023
Visit site
I owned the P50SA MKII passive pre (same as in review above) until recently. An excellent preamp. Very impressive in that it added nothing at all - a window to your power amp. I regret selling it and may end up buying another one.

I've also heard NVA setups which as mentioned above are a great listen.

I would certainly consider other NVA kit. I actually would like to hear that combo reviewed above. I suspect that would sound excellent on the end of my speakers.

I owned the P50SA MKII passive pre (same as in review above) until recently. An excellent preamp. Very impressive in that it added nothing at all - a window to your power amp. I regret selling it and may end up buying another one.

I've also heard NVA setups which as mentioned above are a great listen.

I would certainly consider other NVA kit. I actually would like to hear that combo reviewed above. I suspect that would sound excellent on the end of my speakers.
Good.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
If I ever get to the stage of having a separate DAC & phono amp, the integrated amplifier would definitely be on my shortlist when looking to upgrade.

The line input selection with no numbers really makes me feel dirty inside for some reason. Probably because I’d need to keep a notebook with what input was on what number, then spend 5 minutes starting at one & trying to count the clicks but get distracted halfway through… 🤷‍♂️

If I ever get to the stage of having a separate DAC & phono amp, the integrated amplifier would definitely be on my shortlist when looking to upgrade.

The line input selection with no numbers really makes me feel dirty inside for some reason. Probably because I’d need to keep a notebook with what input was on what number, then spend 5 minutes starting at one & trying to count the clicks but get distracted halfway through… 🤷‍♂️
It’s definitely minimalist in more ways than most!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've owned the starter pre/power combo a few years ago. For £300 they were astonishingly good value, sounded great and pumped out more than a tiny little 30w power amp should have any right to do. Fantastic value. I then traded them in with NVA to move up the NVA ladder and went for a better pre and more powerful mono power amps. Another great jump in performance. I even had a pair of their Cube speakers. Not bad but they didn't blow me away like the amps did, and to be honest they were pretty ugly, my wife hated them.

However I owned NVA 5 or 6 years ago when their price was hugely attractive (unlike the speakers!) but these days they are out of my price range even if I did want to go back to separates (which I don't).

If you're not bothered about minimalist looks, happy to use their own speaker cables (though not 100% essential I believe), and can live without a remote control (which I quickly found out I couldn't) then NVA amps could be for you, I've never heard better.

I've owned the starter pre/power combo a few years ago. For £300 they were astonishingly good value, sounded great and pumped out more than a tiny little 30w power amp should have any right to do. Fantastic value. I then traded them in with NVA to move up the NVA ladder and went for a better pre and more powerful mono power amps. Another great jump in performance. I even had a pair of their Cube speakers. Not bad but they didn't blow me away like the amps did, and to be honest they were pretty ugly, my wife hated them.

However I owned NVA 5 or 6 years ago when their price was hugely attractive (unlike the speakers!) but these days they are out of my price range even if I did want to go back to separates (which I don't).

If you're not bothered about minimalist looks, happy to use their own speaker cables (though not 100% essential I believe), and can live without a remote control (which I quickly found out I couldn't) then NVA amps could be for you, I've never heard better.
It's the minimal looks and lack of a remote that's put me off. And when I looked on their website they highly recommend their own cables which aren't cheap.

And the former owner, was a controversial character, like Ashley James from AVI, and was banned from more than one forum.

Reactions: Al ears
It's the minimal looks and lack of a remote that's put me off. And when I looked on their website they highly recommend their own cables which aren't cheap.

And the former owner, was a controversial character, like Ashley James from AVI, and was banned from more than one forum.
Yes, I seem to recall somewhere that they stated their amps really needed their own cables to function optimally.
That's something that would put me off any manufacturer

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 201267

Yes, I seem to recall somewhere that they stated their amps really needed their own cables to function optimally.
What was special about their cables ?

I tend to agree, but they are pretty transparent about it. This is their explanation:-

• IMPORTANT - there is no protection circuitry or filtering on the output of our amplifiers (that's one of the reasons why they sound so good!), so care must be taken in use. Do not short circuit the output; doing so will fatally damage the amplifier boards. Do not use high capacitance speaker cables as these could damage the amplifier by creating a virtual short-circuit at high frequencies. Do not use bi-wiring with non-NVA cables. Do not use Litz, Goertz or woven cables. Do not twist cables together. Avoid cables with a capacitance of greater than 200pf per metre (failure to do so will invalidate our warranty) and do not use non-NVA cables over 10 metres in length. The best sounding speaker cable for NVA and the perfect electrical match, is our LS series of low capacitance cables. Proof of purchase of NVA speaker cable, or another suitable low capacitance speaker cable, may be required when submitting any NVA amplifier for warranty repair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts