Novice needs advice!

jimmy147

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
I have just inherited some 1980's separates that includes a Rega turntable. Due to space & requirements I would like to play the turntable through an all in 1 unit (pre-amp/amp,speakers) if there is such a thing? I don't need to play any other sources such as CD or radio but understand I might need to have them in order to play vinyl... Help

DCarmi

You could get a Pro-Ject preamp for about £50. If the amplified device doesn't have phono connector (to connect to the pre-amp) then you can get a phono to 3.5mm cable.

As AI ears says, you should look at active speakers. If you are looking to set this up on a minimal budget then something like Edifier 1280DB or similar, of which there are loads. If you don't like the turntable, then you have some speakers you could use for Bluetooth streaming or hooking up t a PC .

Risk is you'll want to start down the slippery slope of upgrading bits and buying vinyl. ;)

jimmy147

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
Ok 1by 1.
Al ears, I am looking for 1 unit that has whatever amp I need & speakers from 1 power cable.
DCarmi, can I connect turntable straight to the Edifier 1280DB's?
All ready have a vinyl collection that came from my Dad, lots of Pink Floyd!
millenia_one, again can I connect the turntable direct to the Klipsch speakers?
Thank you all for your replies, looks like I've caught the vinyl bug already...

D

Deleted member 116933

Ok 1by 1.
Al ears, I am looking for 1 unit that has whatever amp I need & speakers from 1 power cable.
DCarmi, can I connect turntable straight to the Edifier 1280DB's?
All ready have a vinyl collection that came from my Dad, lots of Pink Floyd!
millenia_one, again can I connect the turntable direct to the Klipsch speakers?
Thank you all for your replies, looks like I've caught the vinyl bug already...

sure can

they also have all the digital inputs you need as well

as no one has touched on it and you haven't mentioned it, it might be worth replacing the stylus/cartrige before you start play any records just in case its old or damaged

iMark

If you have never replaced a cartridge I would recommend to have it done at a dealer. They have the right tools.
A stylus replacement however is quite easy.

The Klipsch speakers look very interesting. So far I haven't found any other brands selling active speakers with a built-in phono stage.

jimmy147

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the tip iMark, do the Edifier 1280's not have a built-in phono stage too?
If I was going for a "ghetto blaster" as mentioned by Al ears what would you recommend?
I have seen Ruark make something suitable but not quite in my budget!

DCarmi

It has dual RCA inputs. I did say you'd need a preamp, like the Pro-Ject one. There are lots of options for active speakers, depending on your budget and facilities you'd like. For example, will you connect it to a TV? Do you need headphones out? etc

I'd recommend scouting through reviews to decide on a preferred list. Bear in mind that the quality you is generally reflected in the price you pay.

jimmy147

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
Ideally I would like only the turntable & 1 other plug to need power, so either powered speakers or a unit with the correct amplification and speakers all in 1. My budget is under £500 (nearer £400 hopefully), headphone output preferably & bluetooth but no other connections needed.

DCarmi

Most active speakers will still require a preamp for a turntable. I know Klipsch do one with preamp built in, as do Kanto. There may be others that are in your price range.

Headphone sockets are generally on speakers more intended for PC usage. Neither the Klipsch nor Kanto speaker have one. Bluetooth is fairly common on such devices.

The two I mention are Klipsch R-51PM and Kanto YU4. I have not heard either so don't treat as a recommendation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts