nominal impedance 8 ohms vs 6 ohms

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
Am I right in thinking if my amp can output say 25 wpc at 8 ohms and I changed my speakers for new ones rated at 6 ohms the new speakers will be easier for the amp to drive and the output power could be more ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

Louder yes, easier to drive no.

For example amps are ok at 8 Ohms but run them at 4 Ohms and some will overheat or cut out, read stereophiles reviews on Arcam A19 and Creek 50A.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Easier no. Louder - depends on efficiency. 6-8ohm is normally ok for most amps.but in no way is a specification on which to base selection except if impedance is too low - check with amp specs.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I would look at speaker sensitivity, ie db over 87 would be better than 84-85. For your amp. I would get some over 87db if you can but I would hear them rather than just go ratings. 90db will be 2x as loud as 87db and 4x louder than 84db, make sure they are measured at same Ohms, but don't take these as gospel they are more of a guide than being dead accurate, same with amps. Best to hear them with your amp if you can.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes I would look at speaker sensitivity, ie db over 87 would be better than 84-85. For your amp. I would get some over 87db if you can but I would hear them rather than just go ratings. 90db will be 2x as loud as 87db and 4x louder than 84db, make sure they are measured at same Ohms, but don't take these as gospel they are more of a guide than being dead accurate, same with amps. Best to hear them with your amp if you can.

To reach 90dB you need twice as much power as compared to reach 87dB, it does not sound twice as loud. So a 90dB speaker will require half the power of a 87dB speaker to get the same SPL. A difference of approximately 10dB sounds twice as loud.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Laurens_B said:
BigH said:

To reach 90dB you need twice as much power as compared to reach 87dB, it does not sound twice as loud. So a 90dB speaker will require half the power of a 87dB speaker to get the same SPL. A difference of approximately 10dB sounds twice as loud.

Be careful with the way you interchange 'loudness' and 'SPL'. Sound Pressure Level is a measured difference in air pressure and is a repeatable, measurable quantity. A 10dB increase is twice the measured SPL.

Loudness is a subjective appreciation of SPL and is entirely personal to the listener. Generally, most people would rated an increase of SPL of about 8dB to be subjectively twice as loud, but it does vary considerably, person to person.

But otherwise, you are correct.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Laurens_B said:
BigH said:

Be careful with the way you interchange 'loudness' and 'SPL'. Sound Pressure Level is a measured difference in air pressure and is a repeatable, measurable quantity. A 10dB increase is twice the measured SPL.

Loudness is a subjective appreciation of SPL and is entirely personal to the listener. Generally, most people would rated an increase of SPL of about 8dB to be subjectively twice as loud, but it does vary considerably, person to person.

But otherwise, you are correct.

Absolutely right, twice as loud is a subjective matter. I stated 10dB because that is what I usually come across in literature, but there it is also stated that it is a subjective measure and other people might experience this differently.

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
my amp and it states speakers between 8 ohms and 16 ohms, does that mean I cannot use speakers rated at 6 ohms, the new ones I was thinking of buying are 6 ohms ?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
It'll drive them fine. ... You're worrying over nothing.

Maybe, maybe not.

There are, and have been, a fair number of posters who seem to think that some magic combination of amplifier power, speaker power handling and impedance can somehow absove them of the requirement to understand and use their system in a sensible manner. 'Bullet proof' systems really do not exist, it is possible to blow up, in one way or another, pretty much any system by behaving like an idiot, on the other hand virtually all systems are perfectly safe when used sensibly.

In this case, it is simple. The amplifier is not suited to loads below 8 ohm. Will it drive 6 ohm speakers?

If the owner is sensible, does not require high levels, keeps an eye on the amplifiers temperature then it will most probably be fine, work it hard at high levels, don't be surprised if it shuts down (or worse).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Thompsonuxb said:
It'll drive them fine. ... You're worrying over nothing.

Maybe, maybe not.

There are, and have been, a fair number of posters who seem to think that some magic combination of amplifier power, speaker power handling and impedance can somehow absove them of the requirement to understand and use their system in a sensible manner. 'Bullet proof' systems really do not exist, it is possible to blow up, in one way or another, pretty much any system by behaving like an idiot, on the other hand virtually all systems are perfectly safe when used sensibly.

In this case, it is simple. The amplifier is not suited to loads below 8 ohm. Will it drive 6 ohm speakers?

If the owner is sensible, does not require high levels, keeps an eye on the amplifiers temperature then it will most probably be fine, work it hard at high levels, don't be surprised if it shuts down (or worse).

Too many myths and scaremongering around these parts.

I've owned 8ohm speakers and currently own 6ohm speakers and I've had no problems ref an overheating amp or any real issues driving them.

Most modern SS amps are designed to operate perfectly fine with loads of 4ohm to 8ohm loads going down to 2ohms if occasionally required.

The results or sound these amps produce is preference based even budget stuff is designed to operate with price comparible kit on the market.

Why wouldn't they be.

Who here has had issues driving price comparible speakers due their ohm rating?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts