Noisy Pioneer Plasma?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pioneer PDP-436 plasma (from new, about 5 years ago I think), which has a separate media box thing which has all the connections etc.

Over the past few months, as I've been upgrading my other hifi and home cinema gear, I've noticed that this media box is making a fair amount of noise (a continuous fairly high pitched hum).

Everything is working fine in terms of picture etc - has been fabulous since Day 1 - but is the noise from the media box normal? (and have I only just started to notice it because I'm listening more?) Or might I have a problem?

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with so much being connected into the a/v receiver by HDMI, and therefore out through to the tv box via HDMI. Overstimulated?

(I don't think I had the noise when the tv wasn't connected directly by HDMI to my old a/v receiver)

Anyone else have similar set/issue? Cheers.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Could be the fan motor getting a bit noisy, more likely to be transformer hum caused by grot on the mains being created by the extra components you've added. If the latter, I'm sure if you can be bothered to unplug all your components from the mains one by one you should find the hum stops at some point.

markb

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Dandy, the noise your hearing is the fans as mentioned above. This is what I do to cure it, take off the top cover. Then using a small new paint brush, lightly brush over the entire inside whilst sucking the dirt out with a hoover. Then clean the fan fins (being careful not to snap the fins).

Then box up and enjoy the silence!

M

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with Andrew and Markb this will be down to excessive build up of dust, i have the same set and have not got round to cleaning it!, in addition to the use of a new paint brush have the hoover on as you do it and keep the dust at bay.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've managed to find some to time to open up the media box, and....oh dear! This is what I found...

Somewhere under all that dust were some circuit boards and fans.

Anyway, got the vacuum cleaner out and attached a small attachment tube for cleaning keyboards etc and, with a soft small paint brush, got to work on removing all the dust.

10 minutes later...

...a much cleaner machine, and when reconnected, all working fine and the high-pitched hum had disappeared. It might be fine talking about copper vs silver cable upgrades and such, but how many machines look like mine did? Best upgrade so far, I think.

ps. I don't blame Mrs C for not dusting the inside of the tv control box of course, but would opening the cover ( as I did) have invalidated the warranty, if it was a newer machine?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Man, that was filthy
smiley-wink.gif

I'll bet a good number will be checking their own now
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Which will lead to another awesome situation of someone blowing up their telly by being a collosal idiot. :p

Bo

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello, thanks for the info. I did clean the inside, put it back together now the tv won't turn on, the green and red lights are on on the media receiver. Any idea what I'm doing wrong and how do i fix the problem.

thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts