Noise or grain or something...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Basically I am using a Philips 42 9664 and a sony 360 bluray player and have been delighted with the results for the most part.

However there is one thing that continues to bother me. When watching bluray movies many films have a sort of noise or grainy texture in the daker scenes. It does not appear in the black bars at the top and bottom, nor does it appear in all movies, just around 30-40% in varying degrees.

Also last night while watching LOTR Return of the ring, when Aragorn and his pals go to the ghost town for some recruits I noticed some serious crackeling or noise or whatever you want to call it on some of the ghosts, particularly at one part.

My question is this: Is this normal for blurays as I am simply seeing the imperfections in filming low light areas? Is it my player? My TV? Or is it an effect purposefully put in? (if so please STOP!)

If it's not been done on purpose I think it might be the player, as it really doesn't appear when watching other sources, as far as I can remember anyway...

A

Anonymous

Maybeyou could try tweaking a bit the settings as if the image is too bright, or sharp grain can result more evident, but many films contain some grain, that doesn't mean there is a defect any where, escpecially movies filmed on Film (Not digital)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Have you got all picture 'enhancements' turned off?

If not, try that and see what the picture is like. Use the same bit of film where you notice the 'issue'.

Try all settings off then add them one by one to see if you can identify if it's one of these options that's giving the effect.

Cheers.

Cofnchtr.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's the way the film is shot. Darker scenes tend to attract more grain then well lit scenes. It's nothing unusual as many films will have certain scenes which have a certain amount of grain. You can probably smooth it over with the TV settings, but it'll look too soft, and won't fully remove it anyway.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies!

I have all the picture enhancement rubbish turned off while for blurays, just double checked it.

You were right David, I turned on the noise reduction and it did remove some of the noise, but not all of it. However it also removed a lot of the sharpness and smudged the detail somewhat, so turned it off again.

Thanks again, guess I'll just have to live with it :(

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
With digital combs and filters on plasmas and LCD's, it's best to turn the all off as a starting point. Then, one by one, go through them all, and flick between maximum and off, and if it has no effect, leave it off. If it has some effect (maybe too much), try variables in between to see if there's a od middle ground. You need to dwitch between off and maximum initially to visually see what difference it makes, so you know what you're looking for when trying these filters on minimum or medium.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts