No ITV HD in Scotland.

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Whilst viewers in England and Wales can now enjoy ITV HD as a proper EPG-located channel on SKY and Freesat this is not so in Scotland. The story I've read elsewhere is that STV have refused to allow transmission, being unhappy that the ITV logo rather than the STV one appears on the screen!!!! So STV are quite happy to source loads of programmes from ITV but if there are HD versions 'forget it - you ain't watching them !! Could someone at WhatHiFi perhaps try to establish for us what's going on here? Many thanks.

Incidentally, I don't have Freesat but I believe setting it up requires submitting your postcode - I'm told that if you submit a Borders area code you can get ITV HD and still preserve the Scottish versions of BBC 1 and BBC 2.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's exactly the situation. STV holds the Channel 3 franchise for Scotland, and doesn't want to take ITV1 HD as it wants to protect its brand. Silly, but simple...

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, Andrew and Davey75, for confirming the state of affairs. As you say, Andrew, 'Silly' - I actually thought it was an April 1 joke at first !!

A

Anonymous

I live in Scotland and have Freesat. You don't need to change your postcode to get it, just switch to ITV London and press the red button. ITV London is one of the last channels so I've got it set so that you only need to go -1 Ch from BBC1 to get it.

A

Anonymous

iain22:I live in Scotland and have Freesat. You don't need to change your postcode to get it, just switch to ITV London and press the red button. ITV London is one of the last channels so I've got it set so that you only need to go -1 Ch from BBC1 to get it.

But surely that's the point, we shouldn't have to switch to ITV London to get HD, we should have it as a matter of right. It's just STV being bullish.

Cheers,

Martin.

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I retuned my Freesat TV yesterday by entering a borders postcode, and I'm very pleased that I did. ITV HD seems quite good, and STV is pants anyway, and you still get BBC Scotland

Thomassteele

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Red button doesn't seem to work now on ITV London. Picture disappeared half way through the Chelsea game at the weekend, I have to go to non freesat mode to watch ITV HD now

daveh75

Thomassteele:I have to go to non freesat mode to watch ITV HD now Why ? Since ITV HD now has a slot on the Freesat EPG (119).

the_lhc:ITVHD is now a channel in its own right on the EPG, it's no longer a red
button service.

Yes,but ITV are still broadcasting the original HD stream too, and you can/could still access it via red button on an sd channel.

Well at least that was the case yesterday (haven't tried today).

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I used the one for the Lauderdale Hotel - worked perfectly. Have emailed STV who replied

"STV are working on plans regarding HD, however nothing can be confirmed
at the moment. "

A

Anonymous

This might sound silly but i think we should take up a claim against STV, my point being this!!

I pay for an HD package, now thanks to STV i am unable to recieve the full package i am entitled to so either they pay me back the proportion that i am payin towards HD that aint goin towards my itv HD

an Email to trading standards i think!!

daveh75

bigbaz2a:I pay for an HD package, now thanks to STV i am unable to recieve the full package i am entitled to so either they pay me back the proportion that i am payin towards HD that aint goin towards my itv HDExcept, ITV HD isn't part of the HD package!!!

It's an FTA channel funded by advertising, they dont receive any of the HD subscription you pay..In fact it costs ITV to be on the platform...

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Presuming ITVHD is a seperate channel i.e. not on 103, why can't it be an extra channel north of the border too? I can switch to ITV London to watch stuff and usually what's on that channel is on ITVHD so I switch over via the 'other channel' route.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, here in Scotland I can watch ITV in HD by using the 'other channel' option - but this facility does not allow you to record or pause the programme.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi,

Presuming ITVHD is a seperate channel i.e. not on 103, why can't it be an extra channel north of the border too?

Because ITV doesn't have a franchise for Scotland. STV does.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Cofnchtr:Hi,

Presuming ITVHD is a seperate channel i.e. not on 103, why can't it be an extra channel north of the border too?

Because ITV doesn't have a franchise for Scotland. STV does.

Hi,

Fully appreciate that STV has the franchise - my point being that despite being very north of Hadrian's Wall I can still tune into ITV1 London on channel 993. If I can do this what's the difference in an extra channel (990 for example) for ITVHD? Apparently STV allows 993 to be used for ITV London so no difference in allowing another seperate channel for ITVHD...

If ITVHD is on channel 103 - I can see where the problem then arises as STV will want 103 as it's own slot.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts