No audio from Sony BDP-S4100 blu-ray player coaxial output

JesusSaves

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,I'm having a few problems getting any sound out of my BDP-S4100 blu-ray player via it's coaxial output... I'm sending the coaxial output to my stereo amplifier via a DAC as my amplifier only has analog inputs.My stereo amplifier is a Rotel RA-04.The DAC I'm using:
digital-to-analogue-audio-convertor.jpg
I've sent the line out from the DAC to my aux inputs on my stereo amplifier. Set the 'input select' on the DAC to '2' as this is the selection needed for coaxial inputs. I have made all the necessary adjustments in the blu-ray players settings as per the instructions in the manual. Went to play a movie on a blu-ray disc and I can't get any sound out of my stereo speakers.I can get sound out of my LG 26LK330U internal speakers as I have connected the TV to the blu-ray player via HDMI. Even when I connect the TV to my stereo amp with an optical cable from the TV's optical audio output via the DAC I can't get any sound out of my stereo speakers either.Anyone know why this could be the case/how to resolve this?Thanks.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Is the audio output on the Blu-ray player set to 'downmix'? Only if you use this, and reduce the audio down to a stereo feed, will your DAC be able to process the input. See the Sony manual, p48.

JesusSaves

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Hi there,

Yes I have set the Downmix to 'Stereo' in the blu-ray player settings but still I can get no sound out of my stereo speakers...

JesusSaves

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Yep, it's set to PCM.

I know, so am I. I have no idea why there is no sound being output. Is there something on the TV I have to do as well? Like mute the audio on the TV so the audio can heard from my stereo speakers..?

The DAC has a USB input and I tried it on my laptop playing some music through it and everything sounds fine coming out of my headphones. Which is why I don't understand there being no sound when it's connected to a coaxial input from my blu-ray player...

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Just an idea, have you checked whether the digital output on your tv has been turned on, some tv's require this before any audio is output.

Hope this gives you something to try out.

JesusSaves

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I thought I might also add that when I connect the digital optical output from my TV to the optical input on my DAC I still get absolutely no sound from my stereo speakers...

It can't be the cable that's faulty as I can see the red light on at the end of it. Again, I've gone through all the relevant audio settings on the TV as stated in the manual to make sure they're all correct but still I get no sound. The TV I am using at the moment is an LG 26LK330U.

This is becoming a little frustrating. It can't be this difficult, surely :O

JesusSaves

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Well that's what I thought Big Chris but when I connected the DAC to my laptop via its USB input and connected my headphones to the headphone output on the DAC I can hear music playing. So makes me think that the DAC is ok..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts