Night listening sessions reflection

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi. So what exactly happens during night hours and why the sound is so much better ? Either it comes from the better power supply during the night and much less electric noise or is this simply much more quiteter ? That made me think that something is so substantially elusive in Hi Fi and that is what makes the owner unhappy about their systems. It is the specific mid range - treble ambient elevation that can be at most only in quiet heard. I think this is the reason for any good system. If these ambience specifications were more emphasised in all loudspeakers , most would be satisfied with their sound. I noticed this with almost any passive speaker I had - that sounded extremely good during the night and simply average like during the day. Is this because of the less power pollution or simply night ambience ?

This has long intrigued me too. I've tended to think the same, that it's both the mains and the quieter background. What I've never been able to isolate, however, is the fact it also follows an extended listen, so everything is fully warmed up.

These days, lots of non ideal garbage, like wifi and mobile phone signals still exist after midnight. My best recollection of what you describe is now a few decades ago, when those distractions didn't exist and my source was exclusively records, however.

Interested in others experiences.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
This has long intrigued me too. I've tended to think the same, that it's both the mains and the quieter background. What I've never been able to isolate, however, is the fact it also follows an extended listen, so everything is fully warmed up.

These days, lots of non ideal garbage, like wifi and mobile phone signals still exist after midnight. My best recollection of what you describe is now a few decades ago, when those distractions didn't exist and my source was exclusively records, however.

Exactly. Nice to see you have experienced this also. With me the difference is enormous. At 03:00 my system sounds like I was sitting in a studio...a bit strange and interesting.

insider9

stereoman said:
nopiano said:
This has long intrigued me too.  I've tended to think the same, that it's both the mains and the quieter background.   What I've never been able to isolate, however, is the fact it also follows an extended listen, so everything is fully warmed up.  

These days, lots of non ideal garbage, like wifi and mobile phone signals still exist after midnight.  My best recollection of what you describe is now a few decades ago, when those distractions didn't exist and my source was exclusively records, however.  

Exactly. Nice to see you have experienced this also. With me the difference is enormous. At 03:00 my system sounds like I was sitting in a studio...a bit strange and interesting.
Haha, I've been in studios at 3am and at that time not much critical listening is done. It's more around other senses like taste... fine liqueurs, etc. ;)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
stereoman said:
And because of this it came upon me that it might be worthy to buy one of those not expensive galvanic filters aka stereo line isolators and put them inbetween CD - Amp and TT - Amp. Maybe this is the case...Has anyone tried similar to these ?

http://www.dynavox-audio.de/produkte/spalte4/diverses/gli-21-stereo-line-isolator.html

is there a hum on your stereo when you are not playing anything? If so, then it might be worth. No, hum, no point.

Still, credit for completley ignoring the myriad of actual possibilities and going straight for I must buy something route...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
stereoman said:
And because of this it came upon me that it might be worthy to buy one of those not expensive galvanic filters aka stereo line isolators and put them inbetween CD - Amp and TT - Amp. Maybe this is the case...Has anyone tried similar to these ?

http://www.dynavox-audio.de/produkte/spalte4/diverses/gli-21-stereo-line-isolator.html

No. No at all...I just thought about any noise minimising.

is there a hum on your stereo when you are not playing anything? If so, then it might be worth. No, hum, no point.

Still, credit for completley ignoring the myriad of actual possibilities and going straight for I must buy something route...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
stereoman said:
cheeseboy said:
stereoman said:

No. No at all...I just thought about any noise minimising.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The secret is not to believe what you are hearing. The secret is to come on here....and someone who isn't hearing what you're hearing, will tell you what you are actually hearing. *crazy*

Simples. *angel*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
CnoEvil said:
The secret is not to believe what you are hearing. The secret is to come on here....and someone who isn't hearing what you're hearing, will tell you what you are actually hearing. *crazy*

Simples. *angel*
Ah, yes, that makes it perfectly clear!!

I thought so.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
grimharry said:
Yes it’s all in the cables*smile*

I once had a Great Aunt Mable

Who was attached to the wall with a Cable

When replaced with another

She turned into her brother

As her voice broke and sounded less stable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
grimharry said:
And more importantly what you want to buy to fix it*biggrin*

....or not buy, as everything sounds the same and snake oil salesmen lurk like wolves in the undergrowth, waiting for a stray Ungulate to come along.

...but yes, I think you've got it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stereoman said:
Un be lie va ble..Actually I wanted to do a spin off of this thread. I think I nailed it and got it. For the first time I plugged my amp directly to a wall socket. Oh man, a difference like hell...I am almost positive that it is about the noise pollution that eases during the night now - some of you were right, try to plug the amp directly and hear yourself. I do not think this is my "hearing imagination" ? Or is this ? Please confirm. Sounds so much better.

I have always believed that plugging an amp directly into the wall is the way to go....unless you have very poor power.

I also believe you get cleaner mains at very quiet times, which affects the sound for the better......but I keep being told I am mistaken.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
stereoman said:
Un be lie va ble..Actually I wanted to do a spin off of this thread. I think I nailed it and got it. For the first time I plugged my amp directly to a wall socket. Oh man, a difference like hell...I am almost positive that it is about the noise pollution that eases during the night now - some of you were right, try to plug the amp directly and hear yourself. I do not think this is my "hearing imagination" ? Or is this ? Please confirm. Sounds so much better.

I have always believed that plugging an amp directly into the wall is the way to go....unless you have very poor power.

I also believe you get cleaner mains at very quiet times, which affects the sound for the better......but I keep being told I am mistaken.

I am 100% sure you are not mistaken ! I am a very critical listener - a difference ( from the audiophile sound analysis view ) is huge !

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Un be lie va ble..Actually I wanted to do a spin off of this thread. I think I nailed it and got it. For the first time I plugged my amp directly to a wall socket. Oh man, a difference like hell...I am almost positive that it is about the noise pollution that eases during the night now and lets itself know in socket extensions where most of the gear is usually connected - some of you were right, try to plug the amp directly and hear yourself. I do not think this is my "hearing imagination", or maybe ? Please confirm. Sounds so much better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stereoman said:
I am 100% sure you are not mistaken ! I am a very critical listener - a difference ( from the audiophile sound analysis view ) is huge !

If you have the stomach for it, here is a typical Mains related thread, with very differing opinions:

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/mains-blocks-conditioners-regenerators

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts