Night listening sessions reflection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I’m no electrical engineer but I think if your putting the mains electric straight into a transformer I can’t see what difference any pre treatment can make, but then I think copper wire is copper wire.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
grimharry said:
I’m no electrical engineer but I think if your putting the mains electric straight into a transformer I can’t see what difference any pre treatment can make, but then I think copper wire is copper wire.

I do not know if you have tried it yourself. But have a go if you have not, providing you are an analytical listener. I always wondered why on earth my sound gets better so much after midnight. At first just like everyone else I thought about quiet environment of the night. But then I noticed that even when I close all the windows and turn almost everything off - apart from Hi Fi during the day - the sound is much worse than at night. I thought that must be due to electrical noise pollution. And I think it is right. I just plugged it directly - but even in a separate 3 socket block close to the mains it sounds way better than in a 6 socket extenstion cord full of other devices that I have been using it. If I had only known I would have checked my Accuphase and Yamaha when I had them. Never again will I plug my amp into the extension cord with so many other devices, on the other hand I also noticed that using surge protectors for audio is rather counterproductive and works better for sensitive TVs and computers than HiFi. But mains direct connection for amp is a way to go.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
grimharry said:

I do not know if you have tried it yourself. But have a go if you have not, providing you are an analytical listener. I always wondered why on earth my sound gets better so much after midnight. At first just like everyone else I thought about quiet environment of the night. But then I noticed that even when I close all the windows and turn almost everything off - apart from Hi Fi during the day - the sound is much worse than at night. I thought that must be due to electrical noise pollution. And I think it is right. I just plugged it directly - but even in a separate 3 socket block close to the mains it sounds way better than in a 6 socket extenstion cord full of other devices that I have been using it. If I had only known I would have checked my Accuphase and Yamaha when I had them. Never again will I plug my amp into the extension cord with so many other devices, on the other hand I also noticed that using surge protectors for audio is rather counterproductive and works better for sensitive TVs and computers than HiFi. But mains direct connection for amp is a way to go.

yep I’ll give it a go one night but not tonight though. Personally I suspect that there may be a case for a more even supply as less people drawing power at night also just a mellower mindset and less background noise helps. As per the use of a bar could be down to differing number of contacts all susceptible to oxidation etc, not convinced myself but hey ho.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
grimharry said:
stereoman said:
grimharry said:

yep I’ll give it a go one night but not tonight though. Personally I suspect that there may be a case for a more even supply as less people drawing power at night also just a mellower mindset and less background noise helps. As per the use of a bar could be down to differing number of contacts all susceptible to oxidation etc, not convinced myself but hey ho.

I am generally pretty sceptical as to the ad hoc such sound improvements ( that is why I defy acoustics treatment for example saying that a good speaker needs no acoustics treatment unless it is a studio place ) but connecting the amp to the mains made my jaw dropped today...

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
grimharry said:
stereoman said:
grimharry said:

I am generally pretty sceptical as to the ad hoc such sound improvements ( that is why I defy acoustics treatment for example saying that a good speaker needs no acoustics treatment unless it is a studio place ) but connecting the amp to the mains made my jaw dropped today...

Even though I agree with you about treatments I do use a merlin tarantula power lead which I might change to standard kettle lead as part of the test.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
grimharry said:
stereoman said:
grimharry said:
stereoman said:
grimharry said:

Even though I agree with you about treatments I do use a merlin tarantula power lead which I might change to standard kettle lead as part of the test.

I really do not know - but in my case the mains direct connection helped like never before. Maybe the sound of your system won't be changed that much because you got much less electrical pollution like I had, but it is really worthy to try out. Just have a go.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I felt the same listening to my hifi at night not that I am always up at 3am but I was up a couple of nights ago when my little one kept waking up and would not go back to sleep .

so I thought I would listen to some music that night and while I was listening I thought dam I’ve got a good hifi and the music sounded lovely and very detailed which it normally does anyway but it felt softer easier on the ears but then I never had the volume up that high at 3am anyway but maybe it might of been that my amplifier was using probably more of class A as I had it at a very low volume just a guess .

i also personally think it’s because your body is more relaxed and no other sounds at that time of morning I would say it’s about peace and mind more then anything .

I do not agree it’s about cables of any kind or cleaner mains as I have my router going 24/7 , fridge , some lights around the house , and a street light right out side of the house .

i am not ruling out mains products as I did briefly try some for a couple of hours but really need more time with them and to find out more about RF pollution to really understand it more and how it effects hifi and sound if it does or not .

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I used to think this, but suddenly realised that in the day time if you close your eyes when listening this miraculously affects the mains signal, making your hifi sound better. No seriously. I listen in the day time with my eyes closed. It sounds better.you hear the whole sound stage rather than letting your eyes get drawn to your speakers. I'm not an expert. Just saying.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I think we’re heading back to mindset. It’s late, it’s a more mellow time, the lights are low and probably more laid back music ie late at night it would probably be something like enigma for me. And all seems right with the world.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I felt the same listening to my hifi at night not that I am always up at 3am but I was up a couple of nights ago when my little one kept waking up and would not go back to sleep .

so I thought I would listen to some music that night and while I was listening I thought dam I’ve got a good hifi and the music sounded lovely and very detailed which it normally does anyway but it felt softer easier on the ears but then I never had the volume up that high at 3am anyway but maybe it might of been that my amplifier was using probably more of class A as I had it at a very low volume just a guess .

i also personally think it’s because your body is more relaxed and no other sounds at that time of morning I would say it’s about peace and mind more then anything .

I do not agree it’s about cables of any kind or cleaner mains as I have my router going 24/7 , fridge , some lights around the house , and a street light right out side of the house .

i am not ruling out mains products as I did briefly try some for a couple of hours but really need more time with them and to find out more about RF pollution to really understand it more and how it effects hifi and sound if it does or not .

Hi. Trust me it is not about being relaxed at mind. I sometimes come back home pretty late from the Airport evening shift job and switch my Hi Fi when making dinner. I can swear now ,and funnily enough also after a few-hour-earlier-suggestions, that it could be about electric pollution. Everything proves this. Every night no matter how tired or relaxed I am and if I stay late of course ( it is not that I am listening to music late every night ) the sound was much better. In the mornings or around noon - a setback like hell. There must have been something. Another proof in pudding can be that very often I am using a small Sony bluetooth speaker that I connect with Spotify especially when falling asleep and listening to new albums when my other half allows ;) The same speaker no matter what day and time it is - it sounds exactly the same ! I could never ever notice any sound changes coming from it. Only from my Hi Fi. And each Hi Fi that I previously had. It might be that some systems are wrongly connected like mine was whereas some from you have decent sockets and this problem is almost non existent. But I am now 99% certain that each amp should and can be enormously improved by direct plugging to the mains. And at the same - the sound. I really could not believe a few hours ago when I tested it...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
grimharry said:
I think we’re heading back to mindset. It’s late, it’s a more mellow time, the lights are low and probably more laid back music ie late at night it would probably be something like enigma for me. And all seems right with the world.

But I tested this 5 hours ago and still listening wondering how this worked out so good...

insider9

grimharry said:
It might be.

I've listened this morning and could hear distortion and just about everything was wrong. Switched DAC source from USB to optical, still wrong, switched off the speakers and started listening on headphones directly from DAC, still wrong. At that point I knew the only thing wrong was my mood. Switched it all off and went about my day.

Came back after few hours and listened to 3 albums straight, all sounded great.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
grimharry said:

But I tested this 5 hours ago and still listening wondering how this worked out so good...

I don’t disbelieve you even though I’m a natural sceptic and will give it a go. The idea that removing items instead of adding does seem weird as most people have promote upgrade as additional items.

I would hazard a guess that the biggest improvements would be a constant supply unfettered by oxidised joints and fluctuating demands.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
grimharry said:
It might be.

I've listened this morning and could hear distortion and just about everything was wrong. Switched DAC source from USB to optical, still wrong, switched off the speakers and started listening on headphones directly from DAC, still wrong. At that point I knew the only thing wrong was my mood. Switched it all off and went about my day.

Came back after few hours and listened to 3 albums straight, all sounded great.

I've been through this scenario hundreds of times ;) It's not the case...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
grimharry said:
Just bought a 3m kettle lead on fleabay to give this a go.

thumbs_up.png

grimharry said:
Don't forget to check if the kettle boils quicker with your Merlin cable. That's at least measurable!

On the point about mains noise, if you can find one, the Belkin PureAV noise sniffer is quite informative. I think I got mine for under twenty quid, but they seem to be discontinued now.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
nopiano said:
grimharry said:
Don't forget to check if the kettle boils quicker with your Merlin cable. That's at least measurable!

On the point about mains noise, if you can find one, the Belkin PureAV noise sniffer is quite informative. I think I got mine for under twenty quid, but they seem to be discontinued now.

I think I’ll stick to just trying to find a difference by ear because I think if I try a sniffer it will only lead to paranoiac ranting that the electricity board is sabotaging my audio enjoyment *secret*

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
stereoman said:
Hi. Trust me it is not about being relaxed at mind. I sometimes come back home pretty late from the Airport evening shift job and switch my Hi Fi when making dinner. I can swear now ,and funnily enough also after a few-hour-earlier-suggestions, that it could be about electric pollution. Everything proves this. Every night no matter how tired or relaxed I am and if I stay late of course ( it is not that I am listening to music late every night ) the sound was much better. In the mornings or around noon - a setback like hell. There must have been something. Another proof in pudding can be that very often I am using a small Sony bluetooth speaker that I connect with Spotify especially when falling asleep and listening to new albums when my other half allows ;) The same speaker no matter what day and time it is - it sounds exactly the same ! I could never ever notice any sound changes coming from it. Only from my Hi Fi. And each Hi Fi that I previously had. It might be that some systems are wrongly connected like mine was whereas some from you have decent sockets and this problem is almost non existent. But I am now 99% certain that each amp should and can be enormously improved by direct plugging to the mains. And at the same - the sound. I really could not believe a few hours ago when I tested it...

sounds to me like you've convinced yourself what the issue is, regardless of the the actual reasons why it may sound different to you.

The most common time for a person to die is between 1 and 4 am, according to stats. Whether someone works nights or not is fairly inmaterial. Physically you may feel awake but the brain tries to shut down, but adrenalin dictates otherwise.

I do think it is a lack of outside noise plays a part... but the your mind will interpret the sound (audible and non-audible) that contrasts to daytime listening.

This si why people generally hear strange things in the house at night... like ghost hunters. It's how the brain deciphers a certain signal.

I'm no scientist but the brain is so powerful that I believe this is why the hi-fi sounds different at night and/or when you are unwell. That said, I can't prove the theory one way or the other but...

jjbomber

nopiano said:
grimharry said:

Also, when the kettle whistles, is there a great soundstage? Does the whistle have great dynamics to it? Best of all, when the kettle whistles and your wife walks in, does she notice the improved sound? She'll know that you have upgraded the cable. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts