Question Newbie upgrade question!

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Hi

I have my 30 yr old system which I've recently started to think about upgrading.

At the same time I have recently been offered my dad's old AR-5 speakers which I understand were quite the thing back in the day. (But maybe they wouldn't like the change from orchestral music to more rocky?!)

So I guess I will need to replace my old NAD 7225PE amp for a more powerful one?

My deck is an Audio Technica AT-LP120USB.

(I also have Marantz CD and Aiwa tape decks)

I guess I'd quite like some kind of bluetooth connectivity.

Thank you for reading this far. Any thoughts welcome. James

Hi and welcome.

I remember hearing the AR speakers back in the day (late 70s I think) but can't remember the model number. They were very good. Whether a good match for the NAD I couldn't say. You'll need to try them out, unless someone on here has had or have a similar set-up.

Sorry can't help anymore than that.

Reactions: Hebden Hedgehog

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Thank you.

The only reason I am even thinking of changing my amp is because I read somewhere that although these speakers can be run by lower power units they can be damaged if so. They are safer run by a larger amp. Apparently.

I have no idea! 😁

James

Thank you.

The only reason I am even thinking of changing my amp is because I read somewhere that although these speakers can be run by lower power units they can be damaged if so. They are safer run by a larger amp. Apparently.

I have no idea! 😁

James
Ah, you’ve read the warning that refers to over-driving a smaller amp, where the resulting distortion can damage any speaker. Just don’t play disco loud in a large room.

Bluetooth can be added with something like this, or many modern amps have it built in. It can sound surprisingly good with modern devices, but many audiophiles see it as better left to cars/phones.

Thank you.

I have no idea! 😁

James
Also, I wouldn't be too deterred by damage. This only occurs if a under powered amp is played too loud and for too long. This can cause clipping or distortion. As @nopiano says, make sure they are a working pair first.

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
Cheers guys. I'm no audiophile, although I am sensitive to tone.

I think the NAD will be fine, certainly at first. Although if be happy enough to change it to something like the Marantz PM6007 if need be.

As you say, I'll check and see what state they're in first. Been stuck in a corner at my mums for years...

Next questions will no doubt be about refoaming etc! 😁

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
NO

Get the amp serviced and get the capacitors, speaker relay and what ever needs to be repaired,changed and mabye get more efficient speakers.

My NAD is working fine 🙂

I'm really just thinking if I need to go for these old speakers (because they're free and seem to have been well regarded 50 years ago) and if so just asking about whatever else needs doing if I do

The amp is more than 30 years old , it needs to be serviced, the capacitors is only rated at a few 1000 hours or to replace them every 15-20 years
the issue being finding a competent electrician that can service said amp for a reasonable price.
if the OP can find one locally so much the better.
the speakers may need nothing at all doing to them depending on how they have been kept although rubber will perish over the years so careful inspection will be needed especially when considering their age

gasolin

the issue being finding a competent electrician that can service said amp for a reasonable price.
if the OP can find one locally so much the better.
the speakers may need nothing at all doing to them depending on how they have been kept although rubber will perish over the years so careful inspection will be needed especially when considering their age

Crossover in the speakers

Reactions: Al ears

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Cheers guys. I'm no audiophile, although I am sensitive to tone.

I think the NAD will be fine, certainly at first. Although if be happy enough to change it to something like the Marantz PM6007 if need be.

As you say, I'll check and see what state they're in first. Been stuck in a corner at my mums for years...

Next questions will no doubt be about refoaming etc! 😁

your an audiophile, don’t worry about it it’s not a dirty word.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Oh. As I said, I'm all a bit new to this kind of stuff

Everyone is making such a fuss. And making it more complicated than it needs be. If the speakers are sitting there take them home wack them on and see if they work. If they go pop then get them serviced, but im sure they’re fine.

f you feel you need more power think about another amp.

One step at a time

If you want Bluetooth get a little cheap dac, like the zen thing above and shove it the aux ports jobs a gooden welcome to 2022.

Everyone is making such a fuss. And making it more complicated than it needs be. If the speakers are sitting there take them home wack them on and see if they work. If they go pop then get them serviced, but im sure they’re fine.

f you feel you need more power think about another amp.

One step at a time

If you want Bluetooth get a little cheap dac, like the zen thing above and shove it the aux ports jobs a gooden welcome to 2022.
I don't think it's being overly complicated simply cautious.
Wouldn't want speakers causing issues with the amp as well would we?
Nothing lasts for ever and nothing does.
Yes, if it's free then try it but be prepared for the worst..... :)

Gray

What ever that means
There are a few components within speakers that route high and low frequencies to the appropriate drivers.. This is collectively known as the crossover.
The suggestion was that some of these may too have suffered due to age.

I'd be tempted to see how things sound before arranging any servicing / or renewals.

Hebden Hedgehog

Jun 25, 2022
Visit site
There are a few components within speakers that route high and low frequencies to the appropriate drivers.. This is collectively known as the crossover.
The suggestion was that some of these may too have suffered due to age.

I'd be tempted to see how things sound before arranging any servicing / or renewals.
Thank you.

I need a trip to my mums ASAP it seems! 😊

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS