New Yamahas v Onkyo TX-NR3007/ TX-NR808 v Pioneer SCLX82

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
After much chopping and changing of my mind I've come up with what I think will be the final solution to a new receiver! It's 2 oldies against 2 newbies - Onkyo TX-NR3007 which I can get for around £700 from a well known auction site or the Pioneer SCLX82 which can be mine for just over a grand. These represent the 'oldies' as they are last years models and are therefore not 3D capable. The newbies are either the Yamaha RXV2067 (just read the review of the RXV1067 and hoping that the 2067 is better still) or the Onkyo TX-NR808 both of which are new and 3D ready. I don't have or envisage buying a 3D ready TV for some time to come ( I can't see myself sitting at home wearing those daft looking glasses) so is it worth getting one of the new breed or is the value of either of the 2 older models far better at this point in time...???

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Anyone...David from Frank Harvey?? (you're a nightowl)
emotion-2.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Grdunn123,

If you could stretch it, then it would have to be the Pioneer SC-LX82 (£2k range) in my opinion.

This amp would no doubt offer a serious upgrade in sonic performance over your Onkyo TX-SR806.

If I were you, that's what I would want for my money.

Ronald

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Ronald. As the Pioneer is on Ebay there is always a chance it goes beyond my budget! If it does then, between the Yammy and the Onkyo, which would be the beter bet? (The Yammy can be had with £125 worth of QED cables for free from one website).

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Grdunn123,

I don't personally quite like Yamaha's sonic dna or looks - it is too laid back for my listening tastes, so I would go with the Onkyo. I'm an action man, afterall
emotion-5.gif

Is the networking feature of particular importance to you? That may sway your decision in having this feature balanced with a great sound quality.

Any upgrade over my 875 would have to be something like the SC-LX82. A slight incremental improvement to me is pointless. It has to be a considerable jump in sound quality to justify the expense.

Then there would be the obvious upgrade to my speakers as well
emotion-8.gif

Ronald

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I'm not personally bothered with the network function, seems to be 'de rigeur' at the moment. I have an Onk 806 which I quite like, the only potential issue is that my av rack is quite tight and there may not be enough headroom for the Onk TX-NR3007 if it runs anywhere near as hot as the 806. Still looking at the Pioneer SCLX82 or even the '81 which is available for 1K.....some reviews say that they are almost identical. This will be the last upgrade for some time and I'd like to get it right....
emotion-2.gif

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Must be gettin' old!!
emotion-2.gif

I know I've rattled on about this new receiver for a wile but as I said in my last post, I want to get it right as there will be no further funds available for a good while!

Looked briefly at the Yammy RXV2067 ( on the back of the review of it's little brother in this month's mag), Onkyo TX-NR 3007 which can be had for about £700 ish new from Ebay or either the Pioneer SCLX81 or 82.....

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Grdunn123,

David is an expert and he owns the SC-LX82 so maybe he can put your mind to rest, if anyone can!

Remember also that the SC-LX82 benefits from ICEpower Digital amplification!

If you find that the SC-LX82 is a bit too pricey, then I would suggest you also consider the SC-LX72.

Ronald

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123:I'm not personally bothered with the network function, seems to be 'de rigeur' at the moment. I have an Onk 806 which I quite like, the only potential issue is that my av rack is quite tight and there may not be enough headroom for the Onk TX-NR3007 if it runs anywhere near as hot as the 806. Still looking at the Pioneer SCLX82 or even the '81 which is available for 1K.....some reviews say that they are almost identical. This will be the last upgrade for some time and I'd like to get it right....
emotion-2.gif

The amplification of the 81 and 82 are identical, so as far as driving the speakers are concerned, there's no difference - it's actually the same amplification in the 72 as well, the main differences being the DACs used. There are a number of differences as far as features are concerned though.

I have a comparison piece I wrote yesterday between the LX73 and LX83, which also shows the differences between the 73/83 and the 72/82, but I can't post it here.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123:What's the benefit of the ICE amplification??

Cooler, more efficient. Lower noise floor. Far more livelier than normal class A/B amplification, and can drive speakers better too.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
So are you saying that the 81 is not really worth considering over the 82? I can't remember what you said about the upscaling other than that the 72 doesn't! Does the 82 have the upscaling ability? I have a 2 year old Panny plasma and don't know how good that does at upscaling compared to the Onkyo amp i'm currently using ( the Onk takes care of all that rather well).

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Just came across this blurb about the Pioneer SC-LX72 on a dealer site and now I'm even more confused....'Ideally suited for the new high definition age, the SC-LX72 upscales all video inputs to full 1080p high definition for output via HDMI'.

This appears to contradict what's been said about it's upscaling capabilities? can someone confirm this??

Thanks guys

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts