New Yamaha WXC-50

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see reviews (this one's taken from a Dutch site) where they still look at what's inside. Looks like it's half a WXA-50 i.e. the gap on the left is for the missing amp section.

Review here:

PS The reviewer likes it and concludes "it's not hi-end, but only a trained listener would be able to tell"

wxc50-intern-2.jpeg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
tino said:
Nice to see reviews (this one's taken from a Dutch site) where they still look at what's inside. Looks like it's half a WXA-50 i.e. the gap on the left is for the missing amp section.

Review here:

PS The reviewer likes it and concludes "it's not hi-end, but only a trained listener would be able to tell"

The bullsh!t is deep with this one...*mosking*

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
to the rest of us with cloth ears it will sound pretty damn good!

For £299 it' represents superb value for money and makes my partnering equipment sing. I've never enjoyed a system so much. Seriously I have absolutely no desire to change a thing. Utter joy!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
This product interests me.

Using the SBT for internet radio is increasingly getting flakier, yesterday for example Mysqueezebox.com was down all day, not for the first time. Maybe Logitech are not supporting it as much as they used to with it being discontinued now, I don't know.

However, one of the benfits of the SBT was being able to control it from my phone or tablet either with the Logitech app or the even better SqueezeCommander app (which I find brilliant, especially for Spotify).

Does anyone have experience of the Yamaha App? I read reviews of other players (eg Marantz, Pioneer etc.) and the quality and reliability of the apps seems to be pretty average.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
to the rest of us with cloth ears it will sound pretty damn good!

For £299 it' represents superb value for money and makes my partnering equipment sing. I've never enjoyed a system so much. Seriously I have absolutely no desire to change a thing. Utter joy!
it sounds good to me and i have no issues with it .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
overly familiar with many other manufacturers apps. However, I suffered greatly at the hands pf Pioneer's app when I owned the Pioneer N-50 network player.. It was beyond atrocious. Therefore I sought other alternatives, BubbleUpnp and 2Player (both of which I purchased after trialling) and a variety of others from the Playstore (Android user) provided a vastly improved, polished and user friendly experience.

The Yamaha MusicCast system is a joy to use, easy to set up, reliable and very easy on the eyes. I just wish I had other systems throughout the house to set up multiple zones. It seems to merge well with streaming services, I've only tried Spotify and also on occasion access Amazon Music as I'm a Prime member (for next day delievery mainly)

I'm sure there are many other MusicCast app users here that can offer better insight into how it compares to similar apps. But personally I couldn't imagine it being much better.

Edit and app unrelated. My one and only slight reservation concerning the Yamaha WXC50 is the volume knob on the front of the unit itself. I personally think they could have done a little better., too plastic to touch compared to the solid metallic feel. I saw an Australian online video review and the reviewer stated that Yamaha initially delayed the product launch there because they were unhappy about this themselves. Not sure if it was the same over here in the UK and what version of the volume knob we got... I believe BlackSabbath on here said the same after receiving his unit but in truth, you don't ever go near it. The build quality is very good, it doesn't feel like a half empty case as the picture above shows. It has a good overall quality feel and weight to it. I sound like a Yamaha fanboi now! ;-)

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Need wireless connection which irdac doesn't offer, wxc-50 seems to tick all the boxes for me.

just wonder how good the dac is in comparison to irdac.

first step would be to sell the irdac or see if i can get a part exchange deal on it, any dealer you guys can recommend?

insider9

Animesh Ghose said:
Need wireless connection which irdac doesn't offer, wxc-50 seems to tick all the boxes for me.

first step would be to sell the irdac or see if i can get a part exchange deal on it, any dealer you guys can recommend?
Where abouts in the UK are you?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
overly familiar with many other manufacturers apps. However, I suffered greatly at the hands pf Pioneer's app when I owned the Pioneer N-50 network player.. It was beyond atrocious. Therefore I sought other alternatives, BubbleUpnp and 2Player (both of which I purchased after trialling) and a variety of others from the Playstore (Android user) provided a vastly improved, polished and user friendly experience.

The Yamaha MusicCast system is a joy to use, easy to set up, reliable and very easy on the eyes. I just wish I had other systems throughout the house to set up multiple zones. It seems to merge well with streaming services, I've only tried Spotify and also on occasion access Amazon Music as I'm a Prime member (for next day delievery mainly)

I'm sure there are many other MusicCast app users here that can offer better insight into how it compares to similar apps. But personally I couldn't imagine it being much better.

Edit and app unrelated. My one and only slight reservation concerning the Yamaha WXC50 is the volume knob on the front of the unit itself. I personally think they could have done a little better., too plastic to touch compared to the solid metallic feel. I saw an Australian online video review and the reviewer stated that Yamaha initially delayed the product launch there because they were unhappy about this themselves. Not sure if it was the same over here in the UK and what version of the volume knob we got... I believe BlackSabbath on here said the same after receiving his unit but in truth, you don't ever go near it. The build quality is very good, it doesn't feel like a half empty case as the picture above shows. It has a good overall quality feel and weight to it. I sound like a Yamaha fanboi now! ;-)

thanks luckylion100 *good*

did you try connecting HDD/ SSD to the WXC-50?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Good morning

I've been fiddling around in the dark, dug out two WD element 1TB HDD's, one formatted exfat and the other NTFS loaded with Flac files and sadly the WXC-50 experienced accessing errors reading them. Unfortunately I have no other HDD's to try it with or surprising no USB sticks just for the sake of curiosity. The Yamaha manual I've looked at online is rather vague regarding the USB input.

I mainly use wifi connection or NAS via Ethernet.

Sorry this isn't a great deal of help.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

good old birmingham, by the QE hospital.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
cheers luckylion100

I'm thinking of a smart solution to play music from SSD without the need of a computer or NAS.. Auralic Aries Mini I had few months ago on a home demo, can hadle - just like wxc-50 - all sort of files, streaming Qobuz and Tidal rather than Spotify.. also, it's got optional hard drive slot for anyone whom don’t want to invest for a dedicated NAS drive and app is rather nice too.. bit more expensive but high quality.. anyway, always good to check alternatives

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
cheers luckylion100

I'm thinking of a smart solution to play music from SSD without the need of a computer or NAS.. Auralic Aries Mini I had few months ago on a home demo, can hadle - just like wxc-50 - all sort of files, streaming Qobuz and Tidal rather than Spotify.. also, it's got optional hard drive slot for anyone whom don’t want to invest for a dedicated NAS drive and app is rather nice too.. bit more expensive but high quality.. anyway, always good to check alternatives

insider9

Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

A bit too far for me (Sheffield). I would've been possibly interested thought ideally was looking to get a second hand m-dac.

My advice would be to post it on Gumtree. Make sure you don't put your phone number on the ad unless you want spam calls and texts.

Yes, there are lots of timewasters on there too but no fees to pay and generally can get a better price than eBay. Although dacs sell well on eBay.

No dealer will offer you anywhere near that price.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

A bit too far for me (Sheffield). I would've been possibly interested thought ideally was looking to get a second hand m-dac.

My advice would be to post it on Gumtree. Make sure you don't put your phone number on the ad unless you want spam calls and texts.

Yes, there are lots of timewasters on there too but no fees to pay and generally can get a better price than eBay. Although dacs sell well on eBay.

yes, i will put it on GT as soon as i get a minute. It's in pristine condition with all the original packaging , i have even got the thin plastic wrapping on it, still under warranty from peter tyson, may be 6/8 months left. £275 would be a good price.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

yes, i will put it on GT as soon as i get a minute. It's in pristine condition with all the original packaging , i have even got the thin plastic wrapping on it, still under warranty from peter tyson, may be 6/8 months left. £275 would be a good price.
the Yamaha uses a ESS Sabre9006AS DAC which I think is used in the new Arcam ir dac 2 and most of the Yamaha top of the range gear .

insider9

I've read about it but it's more than I'm prepared to spend. Thanks for your suggestion.

If I go Audiolab Mdac route I'll be sorted dac/headphone wise and continue using my pc as a source. Ultimately I'll probably build a small htpc to use as a source.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Good morning

I've been fiddling around in the dark, dug out two WD element 1TB HDD's, one formatted exfat and the other NTFS loaded with Flac files and sadly the WXC-50 experienced accessing errors reading them. Unfortunately I have no other HDD's to try it with or surprising no USB sticks just for the sake of curiosity. The Yamaha manual I've looked at online is rather vague regarding the USB input.

The Type A usb input on the WXC 50 is specifically for an Apple iThing.

You may, if you have the requisite know how, be able to load a usb drive in such a way that it can be read by the WXC 50 but I do not believe it to be simple.

You can pick up an older iPod Classic for £50-100 to store your rips though you will need to convert if you have Flacs and, of course, use iTunes. Otherwise use a Nas, from about £100.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
luckylion100 said:
Good morning

You may, if you have the requisite know how, be able to load a usb drive in such a way that it can be read by the WXC 50 but I do not believe it to be simple.

You can pick up an older iPod Classic for £50-100 to store your rips though you will need to convert if you have Flacs and, of course, use iTunes. Otherwise use a Nas, from about £100.

that just ticked another box for me.

ir dac is now live on gumtree

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

the Yamaha uses a ESS Sabre9006AS DAC which I think is used in the new Arcam ir dac 2 and most of the Yamaha top of the range gear .

thats brilliant, i wasn't too sure how wxc50 would compare to irdac interms of SQ.

need to have the irdac sold fast.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
davedotco said:
luckylion100 said:
Good morning

just came across a review on amazon america where the buyer said wxc50 doesn't support ipod thru the usb port☹️️☹️️☹️️☹️️

Is that correct?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Animesh Ghose said:
davedotco said:
luckylion100 said:
Good morning

just came across a review on amazon america where the buyer said wxc50 doesn't support ipod thru the usb port☹️️☹️️☹️️☹️️

Is that correct?

But the Yamaha uk website clearly states that it does.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxc-50/?mode=model

Find a dealer who has one and try it...*unknw*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
insider9 said:
Animesh Ghose said:

thats brilliant, i wasn't too sure how wxc50 would compare to irdac interms of SQ.

need to have the irdac sold fast.
I can not promise that the sound will be even better with the Yamaha WXC-50 then what you have now .

I would say the would be very small differences between the Arcam ir dac and the Yamaha and considering that the Arcam cost more when it first came out .

No I do not think that the Yamaha will support any older apple products that did not have Bluetooth or airplay . Sorry

I had the same issue with the iPad 2 which apple no longer do updates for it anymore so I had to give it to my little one and I had to buy a new one .

Thats the trouble with apple products

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts