New Yamaha WXC-50

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
looks really promising.. from the you tube promo video looks like there's 'usb a' input.. hopefully it will support not only apple products but also external drives.. optical input, rca in and out, pre out, remote control, spotify connect, airplay, bluetooth, internet radio, subwoofer out, network in, digital outputs, dac, small size and good price too.. nice indeed...looks like a great active speakers partner.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
This caught my eye as well. Nice networked digital front end, DAC and pre-amp. I think it uses the Sabre ESS9006 DAC ... although the 9016/9018 might have been better? Also not sure if Bluetooth implementation is aptX?

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Interesting mix of abilities, but lack of headphone socket seems unusual in the current market. Many DAC's / preamps and integrateds are going to some effort these days to cater for the growing desire for decent headphone quality. Having said that, many of those solutions don't provide as many streamng options, particularly for the price.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Noticed this the other week when I was breathing the profile for it - interesting little box. Ideal for a number of solutions.

Have not yet time to read up but is it an innuos minus hard drive?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is simply a very nicely equipped streamer which includes basic pre-amp facilities built in, including eq.

You can stream from a hand held device over Airplay or Bluetooth Aptx, access your local libraries on the network and it has built in functionality for, among others, Spotify Connect, Tune in radio with more streaming sites to come (Tidal?).

No ripping or storage facilities and limited inputs but for a lot of modern setups with no conventional (legacy) sources, pretty cool.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
How different is it from Sonos Connect in terms of functionality?

Airplay and Bluetooth are built in as is Spotify Connect. There are other streaming services built in and Tidal support is expected by way of an update.

Should it be important to you, it will also handle hi-rez bitrates. Can't really comment on the multiroom capabilities which are Sonos's strengths, the Yamaha control app seems to be good too.

The big question for many is whether the sound quality will improve on Sonos, Sonos is pretty good but can be improved with an outboard dac, if Yamaha can produce a reallt decent analogue out, they could be on to a winner.

I am currently running a Teufel Connect, half the price of either the Sonos or Yamaha option, it works very well but is just slightly limited in funcyionality. I can live without Airplay, but it would be nice to have.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i should get mine this week sometime i have ordered the pre-amp version its taken ages to come out .

What functionality are you using it for?
just to use air play stream my music of my Mac to my Hifi . I wanted to use the onboard dac on my cdplayer but can not use the cdplayer in this way only if I wanted to connect a hard drive to it . I tried the airport express but kept getting sound drop so the music cast was was something I could try if it does the same as the airport express did then I will take it back as I have ordered one on sale or return . Let's hope it works . There is a good dac onboard this new Yamaha music cast so I was hoping I would get the same quality out of the music cast as I do with the yamaha cdplayer .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i should get mine this week sometime i have ordered the pre-amp version its taken ages to come out .

What functionality are you using it for?
just to use air play stream my music of my Mac to my Hifi . I wanted to use the onboard dac on my cdplayer but can not use the cdplayer in this way only if I wanted to connect a hard drive to it . I tried the airport express but kept getting sound drop so the music cast was was something I could try if it does the same as the airport express did then I will take it back as I have ordered one on sale or return . Let's hope it works . There is a good dac onboard this new Yamaha music cast so I was hoping I would get the same quality out of the music cast as I do with the yamaha cdplayer  .

Let us know how you get on.
Did you know i can make my own music server (nas)with the hegel and stream over network. Its quite easy to do (and cheap) and use my phone to control.

I was strongly thinking but then i like the innuos products as can send directnlink through usb also

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Judging from the Yamaha advert in the latest WHF '40 years of advertising features' special (don't miss the Spot the Editorial competition), you can buy the WXC-50 now, try it for 40 days and then get your money back if you don't like it. Looks like a no-brainer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
i have orderd the pre ages ago
I think you'll need to cancel your order, Temptation is on its way..........NS5000's.......*wink*
i am happy with what ive got but £14000 is a bit steep for speakers i will pass but got word today to pick my music cast up but i am busy at the moment so it will have to be next week sometime when i pick mine up

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
in fact it's only been connected for an hour or so but performance wise from Bluetooth was excellect, connection almost instant and sound extremely rich and detailed. I've not experienced bluetooth before so wasn't sure what to expect. Connecting wirelessly to my NAS again great. previously it's always been wired via ethernet.. Still messing about with it but will look and listen in greater detail over the weekend. All in all, I'm very happy with it but for the dirt cheap and plasticy main silver dial. I've the preamp version.
that's what I've ordered the pre amp version . Have you tried iTunes AirPlay with it yet ? i will be hooking mine up to my Yamaha amp and probably hide mine

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts