New Yamaha WXC-50

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
in fact it's only been connected for an hour or so but performance wise from Bluetooth was excellect, connection almost instant and sound extremely rich and detailed. I've not experienced bluetooth before so wasn't sure what to expect. Connecting wirelessly to my NAS again great. previously it's always been wired via ethernet.. Still messing about with it but will look and listen in greater detail over the weekend. All in all, I'm very happy with it but for the dirt cheap and plasticy main silver dial. I've the preamp version.

Edit; The MusicCast app is a pleasure to use but bare in mind I was using the absolutely bog standard Pioneer N-50 and then the BubbleUPnpP apps... compared to betttter systems/apps I've no idea how it would compare...

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi Blacksabbath, I'm afraid I'm an Android user, so no idea there. Sorry. Very early impressions for the money, for the connectivity, wireless options and build quality other than the knob I'm more than happy with it. .

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I have an android tablet used to stream Spotify via a Chromecast Audio via rca cables into my amplifier. Originally considered a Sonos Connect but the CCA was a no brainer for the money, and the Connect's dac was not the best apparently. So I'm interested in what the Yammy's dac is like.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for me to say. The speakers arrived today as well so I'm getting used to lots of new gear. Hard to tell where the quality comes from, I'm hoping a combination of the AVI's and new dac within the Yamaha. All I can say is it's a big step up in performance from my PMC's paired with the built in dac within the Pioneer N50 (which I believe was rated rather well)...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
It's hard for me to say. The speakers arrived today as well so I'm getting used to lots of new gear. Hard to tell where the quality comes from, I'm hoping a combination of the AVI's and new dac within the Yamaha. All I can say is it's a big step up in performance from my PMC's paired with the built in dac within the Pioneer N50 (which I believe was rated rather well)...

Amp.and pmcs do the dm10s replace? And can you give me your impression on the clarity of the speakers

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:

no rush - but are you using the dac in the Yamaha or the DM10's, and maybe you can try both and let us know which you prefer *smile*

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
a Roksan K2 amp and KMA-2'3 Mk111 power amp. The PMC's were Twenty 23's.

I'm using the Yamaha as a pre bypassing the AVI's internal workings. I will endeavour to try both out fully over the weekend and make sure I don't have cloth ears. ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ok managed to get my Yamaha WXC-50 pre amp this afternoon .

first thoughts .....the Yamaha is a well constructed the box is 2kg so not heavy and it's a small box too . What's not so good the little dial on the front is made of plastic that's the only bit that feels cheap but the amp version has a metal one . But to be honest once your sorted the settings up there no need to touch the dial on front and it's only small dial at that . There is a remote control that comes with it and 2 stands if you want to stand it on end .

setting up.... I had it working in about 5 minutes it was easy you can choose between wireless or hardwire internet I choose hardwire simply because I wanted the best signal .

connections I chosen co - axe into the back of my Yamaha cd-2100 so I could use the onboard dac inside the cdplayer . Yes there's a dac on the Yamaha WXC-50 but I just have not got round to trying it yet but my thoughts were that the dac on my cdplayer would be better then the WXC-50s dac so my setup is with a Hifi setup .

ok ones all connected there was a firmware update for the Yamaha WXC-50 what this updated I am not sure . Then I setup the app on my iPhone for the music cast which was easy then I looked at the content of the amp which includes...... Nap star , Spotify ,juke , qobuz , AirPlay , server , net radio , Bluetooth , USB file stick , optical , AUX .

Out of the box I got it to play on AirPlay in less then 5 minutes of my iTunes account . Sounds fantastic no sound drop what so ever I even played the Internet radio both played faultlessly . So the conclusion is I am very happy with this purchase it does what it says on the tin it works and sounds good too . Price £299 worth it .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in full agreement with that. I'm very happy with the performance and mines now hidden away. A pleasure to use after the user unfriendliness of the Pioneer N50 I endured. ;-)

Glad you're happy with your addition.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I like it that if your got an iPhone you can take a picture of your Hifi and then use it as your app picture in the music cast app so mine as my Hifi and then says room 1 . But I am sure you could rename it to something else if you wanted to .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like the fact you can tailor it and make it a little more personable. I've it on Android but I'm sure it's very similar to the Apple version. A doddle to use and switch between input sources with zero drag or delay. Now to sort my photography skills out...

Thoroughly recommended.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

first thoughts .....the Yamaha is a well constructed the box is 2kg so not heavy and it's a small box too . What's not so good the little dial on the front is made of plastic that's the only bit that feels cheap but the amp version has a metal one . But to be honest once your sorted the settings up there no need to touch the dial on front and it's only small dial at that . There is a remote control that comes with it and 2 stands if you want to stand it on end .

setting up.... I had it working in about 5 minutes it was easy you can choose between wireless or hardwire internet I choose hardwire simply because I wanted the best signal .

connections I chosen co - axe into the back of my Yamaha cd-2100 so I could use the onboard dac inside the cdplayer . Yes there's a dac on the Yamaha WXC-50 but I just have not got round to trying it yet but my thoughts were that the dac on my cdplayer would be better then the WXC-50s dac so my setup is with a Hifi setup .

ok ones all connected there was a firmware update for the Yamaha WXC-50 what this updated I am not sure . Then I setup the app on my iPhone for the music cast which was easy then I looked at the content of the amp which includes...... Nap star , Spotify ,juke , qobuz , AirPlay , server , net radio , Bluetooth , USB file stick , optical , AUX .

Out of the box I got it to play on AirPlay in less then 5 minutes of my iTunes account . Sounds fantastic no sound drop what so ever I even played the Internet radio both played faultlessly . So the conclusion is I am very happy with this purchase it does what it says on the tin it works and sounds good too . Price £299 worth it .

And now you are done ? A lot of us have been reading your journey , is this the end , apart from the turntable

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

And now you are done ? A lot of us have been reading your journey , is this the end , apart from the turntable

A brand new Technics SL1200G would look amazing with Blacksabbath's kit but understand they're either a love or hate turntable. Seems they're of undeniable quality though... although some may argue otherwise. ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes in a way I am done just the Turntable which for me it's something I've do not no much about .

I was interested in the pro-jet Classic but not sure as I like the retro style of the classic but not sure how good this turntable is but my amp has a very good phono stage which has mc / mm but again not sure which is the best to use out of the mc / mm . But basically I am looking for a good quality record player .

In in the future when my little girl is a bit older I will end up getting a home cinema setup .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you accessed the Yamaha Web Control Centre via your PC or Laptop of your WXC50? There's a whole host of other adjustments available on there not present on the control app. I was curious about the EQ functions and how to enable/disable etc. Anyway, it's accessable via your network options on windows, if your os is windows.... just thought I'd mention as I'd missed it not being a great one for reading instructions. ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Have you accessed the Yamaha Web Control Centre via your PC or Laptop of your WXC50? There's a whole host of other adjustments available on there not present on the control app. I was curious about the EQ functions and how to enable/disable etc. Anyway, it's accessable via your network options on windows, if your os is windows.... just thought I'd mention as I'd missed it not being a great one for reading instructions. ;-)
I can get the advanced settings on my iPad , and iMac but not on my iPhone though the app . Not that I have had any use for the advanced settings as it sounds good like it is . But some of the advanced settings I do not understand what they do so best left alone .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Do you have it on? I'm unsure if Direct or Auto is the default...

I've had a play around with the settings, at first opting on Direct but have now decided that with the DM10's I prefer the Auto setting. It adds a touch of warmth and depth especially to piano. Not suggesting that the AVI's lack this, they're great but they're even better to my ears with the Auto mode enabled.
I've also got a cheapish sub here part of an old 5.1 set up that I couldn't resist adding to the mix and experimenting with whilst I contemplate if I'll eventually turn this into a 2.1. In my current flat with the Auto EQ setting the sub isn't required at all.
All in all very happy with the new combination.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Do you have it on? I'm unsure if Direct or Auto is the default...

I've had a play around with the settings, at first opting on Direct but have now decided that with the DM10's I prefer the Auto setting. It adds a touch of warmth and depth especially to piano. Not suggesting that the AVI's lack this, they're great but they're even better to my ears with the Auto mode enabled. I've also got a cheapish sub here part of an old 5.1 set up that I couldn't resist adding to the mix and experimenting with whilst I contemplate if I'll eventually turn this into a 2.1. In my current flat with the Auto EQ setting the sub isn't required at all. All in all very happy with the new combination.
i have mine on Direct mode as i am used to bypassing the tone controls on the yamaha so any bass i am getting is coming off my dali opticons speakers its more natrual that way i feel but if i wanted to i could add some bass from the yamaha amp by useing bass and treble if i wanted too .

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
File formats aren't my area of strength but I did a quick check on the Synology Nas for M4A files (ALAC) in other words I believe? Anyway I found a fair selection... So with the Yamaha MusicCast app I accessed the Nas and played them. On the MusicCast Android app they've listed as PMC 44.1 Khz files. Going back and forth between tracks is instant, no issues...

I'm assuming these files are ALAC as accessing the Nas from Foobar2000 these same files are displayed as such... I have most of my files in Flac or DSD/DSF formats.

If I'm on the right track hope this helps... but I'm sure someone really in the know will be along. ;-)

Edit; found this which seemed to suggest I was in or around the right ball park.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/computer-based-media/alac-m4a-same-thing

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks

It's the chapter-savvy or not that particularly interests me. For example I have a bunch of Proms recordings where the whole concert is one file. I can add chapter markers to skip between the various items. The skipping works fine on iTunes, but not (for example) on the Raumfeld connector (which is a similar beast in many ways to the WXC-50). It's a bit annoying!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've no similar files to test that with. I've many rips that are one continuous file where I may have a go at inserting some chapters and see how that goes. If you've not had a definitive answer from someone else I'll post again on here.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Thanks

It's the chapter-savvy or not that particularly interests me. For example I have a bunch of Proms recordings where the whole concert is one file. I can add chapter markers to skip between the various items. The skipping works fine on iTunes, but not (for example) on the Raumfeld connector (which is a similar beast in many ways to the WXC-50). It's a bit annoying!

You could use editing software such as Audacity to 'slice up' the single long audio file into several smaller tracks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts