admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
have just got a samsung le32r87bd lcd tv and am using a standard sky box and so far quite pleased with it just wondering if i could get hold of an hd sky box whould i get better picture quality as i would be able to run the sky box with an hdmi lead rather than a scart lead. Not interested in watching the hd channels as yet and dont wont to pay sky anymore money to up grade me to hd

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="sweep"]dont wont to pay sky anymore money to up grade me to hd[/quote]

Well, you'll still have to pay for the HD box, and if you don't take out a subscription to the HD channels it's a hefty £399.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply andy but will i get a noticable better picture by using a sky box with an hdmi lead ?

A

Anonymous

Yes you most probably will, i've noticed a difference in picture with my new SkyHD box.

I would check out Comet and see if they're still doing their £99 SkyHD sign-up bargain deal!

A

Anonymous

My Sony KDL40W3000 full HD 1080p is not good with Sky SD signals - I had heard that upgrading from a Sky standard box to a Sky HD box would make a difference but a friend demonstrated that actually it is really just as bad with an HD box and a waste of money. His system was all HD and the tv was a similar Sony, but the Sky SD channels had the same problem as mine. I don't believe the fact that the HD box has HDMI leads to the tv rather than Scart makes a noticeable difference. Even if it is slightly better, the main thing is that it is still very bad on low bit-rate channels such as ITV4. Don't ewaste your money on a SKY HD box unless you are going to also spend loads more on the SKY HD weekly subscriptions

A

Anonymous

I don't consider £99 for a 160GB hard drive and a tv system capable of recording anything i want, and also serving up free HD content from C4 and BBC HD (thus quite a few HD movies) to be a waste of money. The extra subscription fee is only £10 a month if you're after Sports etc..

Funnily enough, my 40W3000 displays my Sky signal really quite well via my SkyHD box. The only pictures it struggles with are ITV-based pictures and some of the peripheral Sky channel pictures, but all in all i'm very impressed with the SD picture.

A

Anonymous

Axum, does your Bravia suffer from the green/purple tinges mentioned on other forums? I was about to buy the set until I read the problems, now I'm swaying towards the Pioneer 428/0 plasma.....

A

Anonymous

No it doesn't funnily enough, there are (as you say) a few people that have reported the issue, i don't think it's a problem at all with the newer sets. Most people reporting issues have panels from Oct 07, which i actually have too, but i've not got the problem at all.

Saying that, no-one's reported any problem getting the set replaced if they have had the issue.

A

Anonymous

So what you reckon, I bite the bullet and gor for the Bravia as originally intended?

A

Anonymous

Hehe, well that's difficult for me to say, i know the Pioneer is an awesome set, but i don't think the Sony's are far behind.

For me it was easy, 42inch would have been a tight-fit, and i was going for a Sony Amp/Stand and a PS3, so i combined them all together and got a good deal. I also wanted full 1080p resolution, just for peace of mind if anything, knowing i had a set that can display a Blu-ray film in it's full glory without the need for any downscaling etc...

The clincher was when i went into a store and managed to see them almost side-by-side, and for me, i preferred the look and i preferred the HD performance of the Sony.

A

Anonymous

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

my post seems to have been hijacked have any body else got any views on my original question?

A

Anonymous

Hehe, yeah, that's one of the best post-hijacks i've ever seen!

Although i did actually answer your question straight away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts